• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Seiko mod

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I love a Malachite dial so I grabbed one of these from AliX. It wasn't cheap at $50 and came with a disappointing amount of scratches on the dial and the markers.

KvClfJ.jpeg

I spent some time waxing the dial and polishing out the markers. I've used a good quality car wax successfully even on painted dials, a stone dial is even safer to do. The wax I use is AUTO GLYM, a product from Great Britain. The markers were done with a dremel pad in a variable speed drill at a much lower RPM than my dremel can go.

The waxing took off some of the logo letters. I was actually OK with this as the white color looked out of place - too bright, and too much contrast. I took all the white letters off and replaced them with silver stickers.

KvCQlo.jpeg

At some point the dial suffered a couple minor chips at 32 and 52, I don't remember it happening. Fortunately neither one shows. Stone dials are really fragile.

KvCrJD.jpeg

The case and bracelet I picked are really nice for about $50. Look at that SEL recess! And it has a Glidelock clasp.

KvCBWk.jpeg

So here it is. I'd love to have a Rolex with a Malachite dial, they did make them. But this will do for now, hah.

KvCC2P.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
Really nice - I am also currently working on some fantasy Seiko mods as it is just so much fun :)

May I ask what case you ended up using? I had one (“Explorer style”) with okayish SEL optics which looks strange from the backside and one with strangely protruding SELs…

Last edited:
Reactions: Karbon74

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Really nice - I am also currently working on some fantasy Seiko mods as it is just so much fun :)

May I ask what case you ended up using? I had one (“Explorer style”) with okayish SEL optics which looks strange from the backside and one with strangely producing SELs…
Here is the link. It does have some tiny SEL gaps between the outside of the SEL and the inside of the lugs. But this is not noticeable on the wrist.

• Love
Reactions: Fabulously

derjenigewelcher

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
I love a Malachite dial so I grabbed one of these from AliX. It wasn't cheap at $50 and came with a disappointing amount of scratches on the dial and the markers.

KvClfJ.jpeg

I spent some time waxing the dial and polishing out the markers. I've used a good quality car wax successfully even on painted dials, a stone dial is even safer to do. The wax I use is AUTO GLYM, a product from Great Britain. The markers were done with a dremel pad in a variable speed drill at a much lower RPM than my dremel can go.

The waxing took off some of the logo letters. I was actually OK with this as the white color looked out of place - too bright, and too much contrast. I took all the white letters off and replaced them with silver stickers.

KvCQlo.jpeg

At some point the dial suffered a couple minor chips at 32 and 52, I don't remember it happening. Fortunately neither one shows. Stone dials are really fragile.

KvCrJD.jpeg

The case and bracelet I picked are really nice for about $50. Look at that SEL recess! And it has a Glidelock clasp.

KvCBWk.jpeg

So here it is. I'd love to have a Rolex with a Malachite dial, they did make them. But this will do for now, hah.

KvCC2P.jpeg

Thanks for looking!
Great build! I made a almost similar build back in octobre last year, will add some pictures of it. I was lucky with the dial, and back then there where other options of stone dials on AliX, like a blue one and a red one. They where well packed, but I remember the blue one had a small crack on it. really sensitive, such thin cuts of stone to work with. The case on the green one was a 70 bucks "president" bracelet having standart AliX case.
Here some photos:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great build! I made a almost similar build back in octobre last year, will add some pictures of it. I was lucky with the dial, and back then there where other options of stone dials on AliX, like a blue one and a red one. They where well packed, but I remember the blue one had a small crack on it. really sensitive, such thin cuts of stone to work with. The case on the green one was a 70 bucks "president" bracelet having standart AliX case.
Here some photos:

Very cool bro, thanks for posting!

• Love
Reactions: derjenigewelcher

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
Now I know who is driving the AliX sales numbers on these cases :)

Just out of curiosity: does anyone know whether there are crowns fitting this type of NH35 case with Rolex coronet on? I was even thinking of cutting a new thread to fit a Rolex crown - it would likely not work well with the NH35 stem…

derjenigewelcher

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Now I know who is driving the AliX sales numbers on these cases :)

Just out of curiosity: does anyone know whether there are crowns fitting this type of NH35 case with Rolex coronet on? I was even thinking of cutting a new thread to fit a Rolex crown - it would likely not work well with the NH35 stem…

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It’s becoming more and more beautiful!

This dial is really just gorgeous :D
I know right? I looked on AliX again for them and now they are scarce. The vendor I bought from has closed shop (no longer listed) and no one else has them already with markers and a backer plate.

Alibaba had lots of 500 for sale but these are gone too. I should have taken screenshots of some of their pics. It was amazing there were images of stacks of them like poker chips, some spilled over but still together like fallen dominoes.

I hope these return to the market I'd make some more of them. I mocked up a GMT one that I think would look cool.

K7L39L.jpeg

A couple makers like RIMALTI offer whole watches with one of these dials. Sometimes you can get the dial with no logo so a Seiko sticker can be added.

Last edited: