• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

An alternative Omega SMP Case

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
This one looks to have a correct He valve position, however, as I have written a few years ago, the dimension is totally incorrect. I used to believe that this is the closed factory version, however it is NOT the closed factory version. He valve position alone can't be the tell of such piece.

This is the piece that I am talking about:
DSCN5821.jpg

DSCN5827.jpg

Look at the He valve... correct position but the sapphire has glass bottle effect (like many Panerai watches), too shallow rehaut depth and wrong case dimension as compared to the gen article.

Then come along this closed factory version which I believe has very accurate dimension (notice that genuine bezel fits very well). However, the construction of the bezel attachment is slightly different. This one has a nylon retainer ring and doesn't click as solid as the genuine counterpart.

P9050027.jpg

P9050029.jpg

Kahn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/08
Wish I read this post a couple days ago! I just bought that same watch.
I was thinking of transplanting my "Old-Factory" over to this case:

IMG_0407_resize.jpg

IMG_0408_resize.jpg

And now for a very poor pic of my current SMP!
oldfact.jpg

Both have ETA (old has real ETA and new has a clone ETA). I was hoping that the
swap would be seemless. Have you done this? Is it a bad decision?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Takashi, you are scaring our friend Kahn. :wink: Both cases are spot on IMO and they should both accept the gen bezel. The rehaut issue is not like that of the Sub. I have the coke bottle effect crystal version, it has no plastic retainer and the gen bezel fits and works. Dimensions? Well they look spot on to me. I have the gen at home so I cannot measure 1 to 1 but if my memory serves, these were identical except for the thickness. (2824 being the thicher). Kahn you did fine on your purchase.

Kahn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/08
R2D4 said:
Kahn you did fine on your purchase.

Have I told you that you are the coolest ever?
WELL YOU ARE!

I kinda felt like it would work!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well... Kahn, I think I bought exactly the same watch as yours pictured. From what I can tell, distance from upper lug to lower lug is off as compared to the gen article. The rehaut depth is indeed quite serious as it affects on how the dial looks, etc. Most importantly is the coke bottle effect on the crystal. I can't live with that ;)

I will do comparison with my gen SMP soon in near future.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
takashi said:
From what I can tell, distance from upper lug to lower lug is off as compared to the gen article.

If it is above the 10 your good to go. Any closer and you would have purchased the gen. :D It will not be called out in public at all.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
The coke bottle effect on the glass alone is an instant tell :)

Someone who are pretty familiar with this piece can call out this piece easily (despite correct He valve position). Well but to find that someone is definitely a hard thing to do :p

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
I love this watch. For me, the good old version with bad HE position and not-so-good crown guards is sufficient. It doesn't make much sense to start modding it excessively, as the old gens can be obtained for as low as $900 (if you're not anal about the condition).

Mine was purchased early 2005 and it has gen ETA. I'm happy with it (despite the small inaccuracies). I only wish I could find a better pearl/insert for it.

77a.jpg