• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

American Express >>

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
Anyone here have this card ? is it good ? or worth it ? which one you choose ? your own bank credt card ?

thanks
Cheers
Moggio

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
enzo said:
AMEX card you have to pay off each month, it's not a credit card by definition, it's a debit card.
Eh?

A debit card is one that automatically takes the money out of your account when you spend it. If you pay at the end of the month, it's a credit card.

repliking

Renowned Member
2/4/06
AMEX is actually a charge card. Not credit or debit. You can "charge" stuff on it,but it must be paid in full each month :shock:
You do not really have "credit" with them since it must be paid in full at month's end.

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
My best mate BLACK Amex is quite nice....... :p

NO JOKE!!!

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
I have had terrible problems with Amex in the past. They are a great company if everything is good, but if you have even a small problem they turn into a nightmare to deal with.

Long story short......
I had a card with them. It was my first card and I got it at 18. I used it to help pay for school and other things. I never made a late payment and usually payed the full amount each month. One month after paying for school, books, rent, etc. I sent them $100 and they keyed it as $1001. Screwed up all my bank accounts (I was in college at the time and very poor) and I bounced 35 checks (thank God the bank helped me fix that) and I had not money for anything for a week. After that day Amex never recorded recieving payments from me. They cashed the checks and took the money, but it never showed on my account. After 6 months of this and speaking to probably 30 people (all of which saw the problem and claimed to fix it each time we spoke), they sent my account to collections at which time they claimed I owed double the balance of the account (about $2800). After 3 months of arguing, threatening, screaming, cussing, etc they finally agreed that they made the error, but were not willing to do anything to correct it or take the negatives off my credit report. They agreed that my balance was actually $1400 minus the $800 I had payed and they had not recording. So I owed them $600, but they still wanted $2800 everytime they spoke to me.

In the end, they took me to court (about 1.5 years later) and I faced off against their 11 lawyers. I won becasue my evidence was VERY solid that I only owed them $600. I agreed to pay the $600 and they agreed to get all the negatives off my credit report. However, I payed and they did nothing. I closed my account and worked for the next 2 years getting all that crap of my report and finally did.

Once my record was clean again, I actually got a call from Amex, telling me that I was now back in their good graces and that they would be happy to open another account with me. I was transfered 10 times when I started cussing people out and finally ended up with some VP of some crap. I told him that if they ever contacted me again for any reason that I would take them to court for harrasment and I would make sure that I got every penny I could form them.

They have yet to contact me again in any way. :D

My feeling? Pick another card.

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
Roeod,

That my friend is not a happy tale. I guess peeps can have probs with all credit card companies, especially when they WANT money from you.

I can only attest to my 2 best friends who have a Black and a Platinum Card respectively. They get treated like royalty, We wanna do anything they call amex.

My mate's Mum was in a queue outside Dolce and Gabbanna in London, it was about 50-60 people long, she calle Amex said that if she was forced to wait she would just turn around and leave. 4 mins later the MANAGER of the store came out and greeted her, took her inside and gave her a private room to try anything she wanted with complimentary drinks. Not bad. Bit anal I might add but that's what she is like.

If we ever need flights or anything done for us one of them ends up phoning Amex and it gets done. Got tickets for a supposedly Sold Out Chelsea game, so can't complain at that either lol.

I hate to hear bad stories about things like this but I guess that they treat folks in different was, and when you dad owns an Independant Oil Contactor to Shell, BP, Exxon, Esso and all the other major oil companies you get treated pretty well..........Jammy Git lol.

higgy

Advisor
17/3/06
The Amex Credit Card is called "Blue" I have one... Good card low interest, no yearly fee!!! Looks pretty cool too!!!!! :wink: Clear card with about 1"x1" blue hologram in middle...

Higgy 8)

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
I suggest you all look into an AMEX 'Clear' Card. You don't have to pay the full balance at the end of the month - and it has a plethora of other benefits.

Roeod4

14/3/06
Like I said, before thier little error they were great. They did the same type of stuff for us, concert tickets and the like, but once that error happened everything went ot hell in a hand basket and the customer diservice really lived up to its name.

I really think that this could have happened with any card company, but since it happened with me and Amex, they always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

bignasty

16/3/06
AMEX used to be just "charge cards" which you paid the balance off at the end of each month. These cards were very difficult to get, but offered exceptional service. They also would allow chargebacks for a very long period of time. They would investigate these charges for you and usually you would come out good in the end!

The AMEX Blue card is in fact a "credit card" which you can carry a balance from month to month. These are easier to get, though they would be more difficult to get than a say Visa or especially Mastercard. They usually offer 12 months no interest w/ no annual fee for new card members. Great card that is supposed to have better security, due to the little blue "chip" in the center of the card.

For me, apples to apples, comparison. I usually pay my card balances every month like a "charge card". I will however take advantage of the no interest deals for semi large purchases. If you are trying to improve your credit or climb out of a negative credit hole then carrying a balance every month can be good. Creditors like to get the feeling they may be able to make money off of you. So if you have 7 credit cards but carry no balances, why would another card company want to extend you credit? Your not going to make them any money? Sure you are less risk than the guy that filed bankruptcy last year but still you won't make them any money?

Credit is a game, that you must play, and you must play flawlessly. You have to stay on top of things. View your credit report every few months. Take advantage of offers for 0% and no annual fee! As long as you don't spend more money than you would have without the card it will not hurt you!

My 2 cents!

Jon 8)