• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ah Boy's introduction and clean factory 116500LN mini-review

DurbanPoison

Supporter
Certified
28/3/23
rolex factory
Hi all, I go by the alias Ah Boy. I have been following RWI religiously like a bible for the past 2 years. I have never made an account but I decided it's time for me to join the forums as a member and make some contributions. I have been a horology enthusiast for quite a while now, something about these mechanical works of art is just very mesmerising. My favourite brand is A. Lange & Sohne, and unfortunately, there's no rep in the market that is even half close to a decent A. Lange & Sohne, which attests to the brand's craftsmanship and is near impossible to replicate (for now haha). I am in a fortunate position where I have been able to collect reps and gens, and I will share my gen collection down the road. But for today, along with this introduction of myself, I will be talking about the 116500LN panda from clean factory. I will not go into the technicalities, such as the flaws of the rep etc, because that has been widely spoken about and I'm sure you esteemed members of RWI are familiar with the flaws and whatnot. What I will be talking about is the feeling of the rep, and my experience wearing it.

OOTB, the clean factory panda is one of the best watches in the market you can get right now. When winding the crown, it feels buttery smooth and gen-like with no grittiness. The chronograph is fully functional and very gen-like, which boils down to the reliability of the clone movement. In general, handling the watch, you can't discern it apart from gen. In fact, I wore the clean factory daytona into a few ADs and watch shops, no sales rep has raised an eyebrow. I have even confidently taken out my rep and placed it on their watch tray. The clasp, when putting on the watch, gives a resounding "click" sound when engaging it. Overall, this watch definitely does not disappoint and I would highly recommend it.

In terms of flaws of the rep, right off the bat, there is no flaw worth mentioning, and in fact, there's no flaw to the naked eye. Althought I would say this is one of the more pricey rep. I bought it for $798 USD from my TD, and it is a good investment.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
In fact, I wore the clean factory daytona into a few ADs and watch shops, no sales rep has raised an eyebrow. I have even confidently taken out my rep and placed it on their watch tray.
It was going so well, till you said this.

It's a shame that, in your years lurking on the forum, you've never stumbled across any post that mentions how poorly this behaviour is regarded here.

DurbanPoison

Supporter
Certified
28/3/23
rolex factory
It was going so well, till you said this.

It's a shame that, in your years lurking on the forum, you've never stumbled across any post that mentions how poorly this behaviour is regarded here.

Its my watch, I wear it however I like. What difference does it make if I wear a rep out to public and to a shop? In the end, all of us wear reps for various reasons. When I wore the rep into a shop, it wasn't with the intent to test the salespersons, but rather, I was going in to take a look at the watches for sale and I just so happened to have my rep on. Don't expect me to take off my rep and put it into my pants before I enter a shop. Lol.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Don't expect me to take off my rep and put it into my pants before I enter a shop. Lol.
The points normally made when "I wore my fake Rolex in an AD" comments are posted are that doing so shows a lack of discretion and respect. So yes, the opinion here is that well-mannered rep owners will do exactly that - keep it in their pants. Lol.

Feefo

CEO, Vaselume (TM) Corporation
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I have to agree, in 2 years you never read anything about this? Actually, it gets even worse with:
I have even confidently taken out my rep and placed it on their watch tray.
Which makes me seriously doubt this statement:
it wasn't with the intent to test the salespersons

As @p0pperini said, it's a matter of discretion. What's the point of even risking raising undesired attention?

You're welcome nonetheless, I hope that by further reading you can start appreciating why you got this reaction and respect our position. Start with the sticky threads in the new members area, always a good place to find basic forum rules and some dos and donts.

Reactions: KushBandit

DurbanPoison

Supporter
Certified
28/3/23
rolex factory
The points normally made when "I wore my fake Rolex in an AD" comments are posted are that doing so shows a lack of discretion and respect. So yes, the opinion here is that well-mannered rep owners will do exactly that - keep it in their pants. Lol.
That is your presumption that my action of wearing a rep into an AD is me purposefully showing disrespect. Me wearing a rep into an AD is not something that I have an ulterior motive with. Me wearing a rep or a gen into an AD or ANYWHERE for that matter, is just me wearing a watch. End of the day, it’s JUST A WATCH. So you may have your opinion and idea of how or where to wear a rep, and I have no rights to teach you how, vice versa.

DurbanPoison

Supporter
Certified
28/3/23
rolex factory
I have to agree, in 2 years you never read anything about this? Actually, it gets even worse with:

Which makes me seriously doubt this statement:

As @p0pperini said, it's a matter of discretion. What's the point of even risking raising undesired attention?

You're welcome nonetheless, I hope that by further reading you can start appreciating why you got this reaction and respect our position. Start with the sticky threads in the new members area, always a good place to find basic forum rules and some dos and donts.

I know that a proportion of RWI members have the idea that wearing a rep into an AD might raise unnecessary attention, putting the rep industry at risk and clampdowns since counterfeit items are illegal. It’s not my intention to raise undesired attention, and I wear my rep watches anywhere or everywhere. Everyone has differentiating views, and you may not agree with the other group of RWI members here that feels it’s no big deal to wear a rep into an AD. So while no one is imposing their views on you, I also hope you respect the other demographic of rep user’s views.

jasonmcc

Getting To Know The Place
18/3/23
Watch looks great minus the mouth size of the dial coronet. Wish it was more like gen or BTF

DurbanPoison

Supporter
Certified
28/3/23
rolex factory
Watch looks great minus the mouth size of the dial coronet. Wish it was more like gen or BTF

This is my gen 116508 for comparison, I can see where you’re coming from but the difference is negligible, no one will be able to tell unless you scrutinise both reps and gen in a side by side comparison.

Last edited:

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
23/2/23
Canada
Not rules per se but more of some member’s ethical views towards such actions. They feel that wearing reps to an AD undermines the rep community
So the gen snobs are like the jocks in high school and the rep snobs are the geeks in high school. They both look down on each other.

• Haha
Reactions: LuxuryProblems

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
23/2/23
Canada
I wouldn’t categorise that as snobbish behaviour, it’s just the rep community feeling that they should not wear reps into an AD to protect themselves
Guess it is up to each individual how they want to wear their watches gen or rep. We all have one thing in common and that is the love for nice time pieces.

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
So we aren’t supposed to wear our reps into watch shops? I didn’t know this but I do now.

Not rules per se but more of some member’s ethical views towards such actions. They feel that wearing reps to an AD undermines the rep community

Actually it's the view of the board too. Like it's written, we don't want to know it.

Let's move on and enjoy your stay here 😊