• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Adjusting regulator on ETA

swfla

Known Member
16/3/06
Hi, a newbie to basic watch "repair". Just got a lovely datejust for the GF. It's an eta movement and it gains 15 minutes overnite!!!!
I understand that 30 days is considered a breakin period...righ???? Until then I hoped to get it down to a reasonable regulation and then fine tune after 30 days.
I assume the regulator screw is located in the fork of the "wishbone". (Please feel free to tell me the correct terms here) Is it CC to speed it up and CCW to slow it down? Can I do more than a full turn without causing myself headaches? I am sure that my dealer would do this for me if I wanted to ship it overseas but I want to learn. Did several searches and didn't find anything helpful. Thanks in advance for your help :)

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
if you find the bit to adjust, you need to touch it. Don't move it, just touch it slightly. Moving it so it visibly moves is a huge change. Rotating it breaks the watch.

D

d4m.test

Great advise Puwash...exactly what I was gonna say...

Let it ride...

swfla

Known Member
16/3/06
reelamore said:
Great advise Puwash...exactly what I was gonna say...

Let it ride...

Are you saying that I should wait for the watch to break in before attempting an adjustment?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
swfla said:
Are you saying that I should wait for the watch to break in before attempting an adjustment?
Give it a few days then test it.

dachshund

Horology Curious
16/3/06
swfla

If you meant 15 seconds and not minutes then breakin might help or adjusting will help but if it is indeed 15 minute gain over night, you need to either send the watch back for replacement or take it to a watchmaker/repairman, something is wrong, maybe magnitized or hairspring tangled.

d44hvj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/06
Just what I thought, 15 minutes is waaaay out. The adjuster will not be able to deal with that big an error.

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
swfla said:
Hi, a newbie to basic watch "repair". Just got a lovely datejust for the GF. It's an eta movement and it gains 15 minutes overnite!!!!
I understand that 30 days is considered a breakin period...righ???? Until then I hoped to get it down to a reasonable regulation and then fine tune after 30 days.
I assume the regulator screw is located in the fork of the "wishbone". (Please feel free to tell me the correct terms here) Is it CC to speed it up and CCW to slow it down? Can I do more than a full turn without causing myself headaches? I am sure that my dealer would do this for me if I wanted to ship it overseas but I want to learn. Did several searches and didn't find anything helpful. Thanks in advance for your help :)

That screw in the wishbone is the adjuster. It is an eccentric cam and you can turn the screw all the way around. though I am not sure if the adjustment is reversed when you do this or not, I've never tried it myself but I had a friend turn the screw all the way around when I was talking to him on the phone. He did finaly get the watch regulated so I guess it wasn't too much of a mystery to him to figure out.

As a rule one mark on the + - scale is about five seconds in twenty four hours so if your 15 minutes out in less than 12 hours I would hazard a guerss that there isn't enough adjustment room to correct for that!

dachshund is on the right track the hairspring can get tangled in freight. Often if they are a little over oiled two or three coils will stick together when they get jared durring freight.

the last one I dealt with was a 2893 in the pam gmt, actually the above mentioned friend on the phone was dealing with it. a couple of gentle "whacks" (face up and face down not edgewise) of the watch in the palm of his hand had the harispring back in shape and then just a little bump on the regulator to get it within cosc!

swfla

Known Member
16/3/06
It is indeed 15 MINUTES off. Will try the gentle tapping fix. If that doesn't do it, I will contact my dealer for return. I am so glad that I have followed Klink's advice of choosing my dealer, then my watch... 8)

HairSping42

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/06
I bought an Omega Seamaster AT for my girlfriend and it was running 5-10 minutes fast. The best I could do with the regulator was to slow it down to about +4-5 minutes a day.

The other day, I fully took the watch apart (removing the movement) and reassembled it, putting the regulator at the default location. Now it is only +10 seconds/day!! :p