• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ADGF’s “Neon” Daytona, "Steel Variant" - Replica Review

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Foreword

Let’s cut the crap and get straight into it. First of all, I do NOT have the $2,000,000 gen of this watch, so unfortunately all comparisons to “gen” will be with pictures. Additionally, this is a fake watch of a “custom watch” (a nice way of saying a “fake watch” in Rolex’s eyes). With that in mind I think we can bear with the watch itself. I'm not a professional reviewer so excuse me if I missed anything

Background

This watch first fell into my radar when it appeared in Adam Levine’s “Talking Watches”. I’m not a big writer, you can read these articles for background. What really hit me was the vintage subdials with the vintage markers, combined with an all brushed bracelet, no crown-guard case, and an imposing dial that is fully lumed. It smacks you right in the face. It’s loud, and brash, a modern sports watch with a splash of vintage features that flesh out an interesting personality for this watch.

For more reading :

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/talking-watches-adam-levine

https://www.artisansdegeneve.com/en/challenges/neon-for-adam-levine/

Replica

There are two variants of this replica, the “steel” and “gold” variant. I opted for the steel, not a fan of gold watches, but please note that this is even more “fake”, since there is no steel variant of this watch that has ever been seen before in the wild. I know @VenomGT3 owns the gold one.

It belongs to a new factory, “ADGF” (very original name, I know). Previously ADGF only worked on Daytonas with 7750s, but with this new one, they’ve stepped it up. I’ve been impressed and I hope they release the other ADGs in their line with a 4130 (I would pick up the “Rusty” and “6263 modern vintage” from them!

Movement

Let’s get this out of the way. I have been seeing a lot of people claim this out as a “4130” clone or “true clone” or some “skeletonized” variant of the 4130. This is false. This is the SL-4802 “Peacock”, or the skeletonized variant of the SL-4801, or the “legal 4130” clone.

https://www.cpeacockmovement.com/Movement_detail/4.html

In fact, you can see some legal Chinese homages using this movement in their Daytona, look at this “Cronusart”.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/impressed-with-my-aliexpress-purchase-cronus-art.5532109/

Another watch that uses this movement is the GETF Factory Daytonas.

Thanks to @dogwood for the first one to recognize it!,

The two easy tricks to differentiate this is first of all, on the 30 minute subdial – there’s a gear missing on the SL-4802 movement.

Second of all, the rotor is unidirectional, not like 4130 style rotor.

I won’t make a comparison to gen – if you know anything about skeletonized movements, you should know that a $700 replica isn’t going to even touch a $100k+ custom skeletonized movement. It’s passable for what it is. I would strongly suggest looking at Sonic or Oascam’s skeletonized Daytonas if you are interested in this stuff.

Despite all of this, I would happily take a SL-4801 or SL-4802 in a clone Daytona. It’s cheaper, it’s reliable, in a closed caseback you would never know, and if it breaks you can source on on Aliexpress easily unlike the 4130 which is a headache to source. The thickness is exactly the same as the 4130. It has a vertical clutch. So in terms of spec, we’re not losing anything except Power Reserve (which is the most overrated aspect of a movement, especially if you own a collection).

My movement is holding strong at +7s/day, crisp chronograph button action, and no issues with resetting. I’ve already run the chronograph for 6 hours straight with barely a hiccup.

Dial

The dial is extremely unique and reminds me of the vintage “Blaken” IPKF variants. I love the see through subdials, and the gentle transparent edges are a very nice touch. I love the subdial markers that are vintage, it's what drew me to the watch.

The unique layout of the dial with the thick bezel actually makes the watch “wear” smaller than it looks somehow. It feels like a 38mm because the transparent rims of the dial actually trick our brain in making the dial look smaller….

The printing is very crisp, so is the Daytona printing. The subdials are well printed and aligned. So is the swiss made. There are no complaints from me about this printing.

The coronet is three dimensional and sharp, well finished, and glistens in the sunlight.

Unfortunately, on my watch there’s a slight dark patch (I assume from the uneven application of lume across the dial), so I would suggest you look out for this for QC.

Additionally, a minor nit pick but you can see some of the lume dots are very drunk, but these are so tiny they are not noticeable for me.

The only thing I will condone on the gen and replica is defacing the dial symmetry with two out of place screws (why!!!!!). But that’s not a replica fault so I’ll leave it at that.

Hands

Nothing to say. The main hour and minute hands, they’re well finished and well done, no complaints from me. The subdial hands are painted green and nicely done. The subdial hands, in comparison to gen they’re a little skinny – but forgivable. I actually think the skinny hands work better than the thick “gen” hands.

LEFT - REP, RIGHT - GEN

Crystal

Vintage style boxed crystal, with great AR. Can’t complain. Better than both BTF and Clean crystals, with the boxed crystal giving a slight distortion on the edges, just like the vintage. Very nice.

Bezel

The bezel is gorgeous. It’s partially what attracted me to this watch. It’s a vintage style bezel – the way the numbers are laid out, the “UNITS PER HOUR” location, etc.

It has a sapphire overlay on top of the bezel – similar to the Blancpain Barrukda 40mm “Sapphire” bezel. The sapphire crystal over the bezel gives a distortion at the edges, which makes it very unique. The metal rim outside of the bezel gives it a vintage look. Overall, very cool.

Did I mention it’s fully lumed?

Reaps

25/9/22
Case

So, I have mixed feelings about the case. The finishing and all other features is what we expect of top tier replicas, very fine, very delicate.

The rep says it's 14mm - but this is the boxed crystal. To me, it wears similar to a Panda Daytona 116x. No difference.

However, there’s two issues I believe with the case. One is that the lugs are not sharp enough, they’re soft. The second is they’re too thick and inelegant.

If I could give an analogy, it feels like a 116x Submariner “Maxi” case. It really does. It feels like they smacked a Daytona into a 116x Sub case.

The edges of the lugs are soft and not sharp, which is not what I like on a elegant watch like the Daytona. I have attached comparisons with the Clean 116520 – you can see how “sharp” the edges of the 116520 is compared to this ADG variant.

The case gives it a sportier, stubbier look, but loses it’s “elegance”. I was hoping for more vintage proportions akin to a 6263, but beggars can’t be choosers.

I tried to compare the case to gen but there’s not many gen photos – but I think if you look at these two photos, you can clearly see that the lugs on the replica are much stubbier than the gen, like 126x vs 116x case for Submariners!

Compare the case back and pay attention to the lugs - you can see gen is thinner than rep.

Some pictures of side and case - nothing special to say :

Caseback

Nothing to complain about here. They nailed all the engravings that are necessary. No butchering of spellings. Everything good.

A short case to note is that the engravings are not deep enough but whatever, it’s the caseback.

You can also see the fake “ball bearing” rotor that they slapped on top of the SL-4802 in these photos.

Bracelet

The bracelet looks fine. The SELs are tight. The brushing is fine.

However, in terms of “feeling”, in my honest opinion, it’s a little bit of a let down compared to Clean’s Daytona bracelet. I don’t know how to describe it, it just feels a little worse. It’s not silky smooth, and the clasp action is stiff. Yes I already have cleaned it, maybe I’ll give it a bit of dry lube (no, don’t suggest a “oil bath” please, that stuff is a meme)

Interestingly it has the 7CD STEEL INOX errors of a Clean clasp. So maybe it’s a Clean clasp on a custom bracelet. The clasp has a very cool brushing on the center of it - I don't know how to describe it.

Personal Opinion

For me, this watch is intended as my daily beater. With the strong movement and brushed bracelet and case, it is much more tolerable to daily wear than the 116500 “Panda” with it’s polished bracelet (which is very flashy and picks up scratches if you even sneeze at it).

Despite all my complaints I’d give it a solid 8/10. Give it a try if you like the style of the watch, you can’t do any wrong. I’m a sucker for unique Daytonas and this one will remain my collection.

VenomGT3

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
29/4/22
USA
Awesome write up, man! I also had no clue it is not the A4130 as stated by TDs and every other source, but you’re right. When winding it, the watch didn’t feel like any of my other 4130 Daytonas. But it’s still a fine movement and the chrono works perfectly.

I also noticed the resemblance to a Blaken Daytona I had haha

Maybe I was dreaming, but I have woken up at like 4 or 5 am and the lume was still popping on the watch. It’s quite good

Reaps

25/9/22
Awesome write up, man! I also had no clue it is not the A4130 as stated by TDs and every other source, but you’re right. When winding it, the watch didn’t feel like any of my other 4130 Daytonas. But it’s still a fine movement and the chrono works perfectly.

I also noticed the resemblance to a Blaken Daytona I had haha

Maybe I was dreaming, but I have woken up at like 4 or 5 am and the lume was still popping on the watch. It’s quite good
Thanks! I saw your pictures of your ADG floating around so I knew you had one!

Love the Blaken - unfortunately they're not produced with the 4130 anymore, only the 7750. I prefer the blaken to the ADG but life is imperfect! Enjoy those pieces man

Reactions: MaximillianGT

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What a fabulous review bro, thanks so much. Your piece is a love it or hate it one I think but I like some of the others in ADGF's lineup. There is something special about a unique Daytona for sure. Just when you think you have enough...

• Love
Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

25/9/22
What a fabulous review bro, thanks so much. Your piece is a love it or hate it one I think but I like some of the others in ADGF's lineup. There is something special about a unique Daytona for sure. Just when you think you have enough...
Yup! Be noted that the other ADG variants are only offered in 7750 right now, but I have a feeling that they will rerelease with a 4130 clone! Really hoping for the "Rusty" with a 4130 variant... that would be perfect for me. Thanks for the compliment!

VenomGT3

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
29/4/22
USA
Also I sold my gold neon since I was not a fan of the coloring. It definitely needs to be replated.
I will be ordering the ss version

buzzi77

Getting To Know The Place
6/11/10
Complimenti per la tua recensione e per il tempo che dedichi.

Quanto As for the Daytona, it is perhaps one of the ugliest in my personal ranking.

• Haha

Reaps

25/9/22
Fantastic review. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for help identify the moment in your thread! You shed alot of light onto several watches and their movements!

Ladidadi

Supporter
Certified
20/1/23
USA
Been eyeing these for a while, was definitely considering jumping on Venom's when he was selling, but the steel truly has a ton of versatility.

Thanks for the write up, amazing new models!

Ladidadi

Supporter
Certified
20/1/23
USA
it’s a little bit of a let down compared to Clean’s Daytona bracelet.
Can you fit the Clean PCL Oyster bracelet onto this? And if so... perhaps the ARF Super Jube? Could do a bit to dress it up.

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
This is a very good review!

Congratulations for the watch!

CF_Stan

CF/FC, ZrO2, PVD/DLC STupid fAN
Patron
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Great review, thank you for taking the time to put it together. I like the way you can see part of the exposed mainspring in the 3 o'clock subdial window, and the lume :love:.

• Love