• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

About the HBB vanilla scent

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
That was a real concern for me : you can have the best rep ever, if the strap has a weird scent, it could be a huge tell ! (did you ever think someone would find an olfactive tell ? ) ;)

Finally here is the answer : yes, Hublot strap smells vanilla...
I read on some boards that only the classic range is concerned however.

http://www.leohamel.com/archive/hublot.cfm

Hublot defied convention in 1980 when the Company created the solid gold Hublot watch fitted with the first black strap in natural rubber from the history of watchmaking. It has become the definitive pioneer inspiration for today's numerous trends.

Creator Carlo Crocco acquired strong notions of beauty growing up in a family of watchmakers in Italy, and by 1967 had designed his first watch. In 1980 he established his own company, MDM Geneve, hoping to create a watch above fashion, whose elegant and sporty design would be appreciated the world over.
He was determined to develop a watch that not only had pure lines and a respect for the materials used, but one that transcended changing fashions and could be worn in both elegant and informal situations. His first rule was simplicity: no superfluous design elements.

The look was modeled after a porthole (Hublot in French) and twelve titanium screws
anchored the bezel to the case, marking the hours in a confluence of form and function. For the strap, Carlo Crocco decided leather was too fragile. He had an ingenious vision: Rubber.

After three years of research, the revolutionary rubber strap was ready for
production. Supple, light, and highly durable, the strap also had a delicate vanilla scent. The corrosion-resistant strap was also reinforced with invisible steel inserts and sported an innovative double-hinged clasp, ensuring a solid attachment to both the wearer's wrist and the watch itself.

The fabulous case in porthole shape with a dashing combination of polished and brushed precious metal and the minimalist black dial were the perfect shell for the unmistakable Hublot black natural rubber strap, delicately scented with vanilla. The one of a kind Hublot was born. The sparkle of this timekeeper has been enhanced by the simultaneous presentation of a cover watch reinforcing the image of the porthole.
Colleagues and competitors were dubious when Carlo Crocco presented the Hublot watch at Basel Fair in 1980, but were soon won over as it went on to become the "Sensation" of the year. The Hublot became instantly recognizable, its swift acceptance surpassing all expectations. Members of several royal families spontaneously showed their enthusiasm for the Hublot, and it soon became the choice of the world's leading personalities. Carlo Crocco had taken a bold risk, and in a few short years Hublot watches were elevated into the exclusive circle of prestige Swiss watchmaking houses.

In the mid-1990's, natural rubber came to the attention of renowned watchmakers as
evidenced by their recent models. This fact proves the validity of the choices that led to the creation of the Hublot watch and reinforce its status as a "Classic". For Hublot, the rubber is not a fashion trend but it represents its philosophy, a way of life and the trade-mark of the brand since the very first day.

Hublot is one of the last independent Family owned watch companies with a unique monoproduct concept. The total freedom of creation and its exclusive personality allows the collection to enlarge to 3 lines in a total realm of design; "Classic" Sport" and Elegant", including accessible complications and the unmistakable "Art Collection". Composed of Limited Series adorned by outstanding enamel or superbly engraved dials, realised with the collaboration of the most talented and renowned Master Craftsmen, each in their specific technique, the "Art Collection" presents personalised pieces like no others that contribute to the enrichment of the entire Hublot collection.

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
yes it does smell like vanilla (the gen), but the reps smell quite hard... That wouldn't be a tell though

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Ther smell is fading with time anyway.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Many folks have tons of Eau de Toilette sprayed on so nobody will smell the scent of the(ir) strap :D Also the smokers know that cold smoke loves rubber.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
The rep one are "smoke repellant"... A dealer told me that :biglaugh:

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Then it's a fake !:facepalm:

MMA

5/10/10
I boiled my Ploprof v1 to soften it. I got the tip from WUS regarding gshock straps. Even though it's hard to guage correctly, it seemed to have had the added benefit of reducing the 'vanilla' smell (smells nothing like vanilla IMO).

At least, after removing it, my wrist doesn't smell like rep vanilla.

JC7

Respected Member
15/6/10
OMG when I first got my HBB I thought it was chinese poison. lol The smell has finally gone away though... unless that's what they want me to think. :thinking:

kkj

29/9/09
I have bought 2 gen hublot rubber straps before and none had that kind of smell

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
It seems only the classic series are scented.

kimerathon

Getting To Know The Place
9/10/08
The smell comes down a bit after a few months, but not completely, try boiling it in water, this will do 2 things, soften the strap, and eliminate almost most of the smell :)

MMs

I'm Pretty Popular
6/8/10
I have a couple that have had the scent.
but on all of them the scent disappeared on it's own after a short time,
no boiling or anything needed, probably took 3 weeks or so of just leaving
it sitting out in the open. zero smell left currently.

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
And all of the above is why our spouses think we are crazy.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
:biglaugh:

Mine still smells vanilla after years. But it's true I don't wear it often.

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
:biglaugh:

Mine still smells vanilla after years. But it's true I don't wear it often.

Mine (two Kings) haven't given off the smell either, even though they're weaker than before. And both the AB augmented version and the King Power smell like vanilla, the same scent as the 1y+ old big bangs I have.