• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A quest for a daily beater...

Daniel

Known Member
17/10/10
“There is little choice in a barrel of rotten apples.â€
William Shakespeare

I know its a difficult one and that opinions are divided on what makes a good daily beater. Although I have several nice watches, I don't actually wear them much. I might have a watch on my wrist on the odd Saturday, but no more than that. The reason is that I simply don't have a daily beater that I can wear on a daily basis. I really don't care to wear a watch that attracts attention at work and not to mention the ever lurking menace of desk diving damage. This really applies to both gen and rep.

So after much internal debates, here are some ideas:

1- Quartz Speedy

Such an obvious choice. Very beautiful yet so subtle. Put it on a decent black croc strap and don't worry about. Its not a very obviously a fake watch for most people* and is well priced/robust based on testimony.

The downer: if you want to go for the quartz, you want the curved plexi-glass model. From my knowledge, only WE has that and they don't accept PP.

*Most people does not include people reading this pot

american_omega3.jpg

The pic is from The American, worn by George Clooney.

2- Omega SMP 300m

Pretty obvious, its a nice watch and it really isn't overly conspicuous when worn with a shirt. Its relatively thin and partially tucks beneath cuffs. There is a very reasonably priced, apparently well built version from WBK. It has flaws, but its a watch that most people* really don't know very well.

*Most people does not include people reading this pot

WBK version
SMP007.jpg

514986d1316095282-wtt-omega-seamaster-professional-300m-quartz-similar-black-smp-omegasmp01.jpg

Somewhat concerned about the bracelet and I really don't think that this works on a strap. Also I tend to prefer the black bezel models more, like:

277969d1271821812-new-omega-seamaster-20123.jpg

Not sure if any of these have good reps.

3- Non-ceramic sub

Nice watch. I don't love it and can't really use it as a daily beater because of the Rolex claim.

Picture_011.jpg

4 - Panarai 40mm PAM

The most discrete Panarai ever. Very beautifully proportioned. Vast range of straps make Panarai very special in their ability to adapt to an occasion.
I was thinking of the PAM048:

DSCN0285.JPG

Not obvious in the photo, but its proportionality is striking in person. I heard of a 21/23J rep in existence, but I don't really know who has it nor how good it is.

Another watch I considered was the Calibre de Cartier 21J. Don't really know good it is and only iffy dealers seem to be carrying it the last time I checked. The PO is too nice for a daily beater and very scratchable when sitting at a desk, also it attracks too much attention.

So for now the hunt continues...

maximusjones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/12/10
I've been wearing the 42mm Omega Planet Ocean from Fakey for nearly a year...every...single...day. It's perfect. It's small enough that you don't mind it as the day goes on, and it's just flashy enough that you still get enjoyment out of it.

Just my suggestion.

I also love the PAM you've shown below (especially after seeing it on Pierce Brosnan in "After the Sunset")--partially because I think anything he does is cool.

Let us know what you go with.

Daniel

Known Member
17/10/10
I've been wearing the 42mm Omega Planet Ocean from Fakey for nearly a year...every...single...day. It's perfect. It's small enough that you don't mind it as the day goes on, and it's just flashy enough that you still get enjoyment out of it.

The thing is I already have a 45.5mm that I can't wear to the office (at least not on a daily basis) and a very beautiful RG 42 mm rep (which I keep to stare at once in a while, but obviously can't wear it daily). So another PO is a bit much, I need to give other watches a chance :thumbsup:

I also love the PAM you've shown below (especially after seeing it on Pierce Brosnan in "After the Sunset")--partially because I think anything he does is cool.

Let us know what you go with.

Spot on, I didn't realise it was in the film. Very beautiful watch, I would have considered going for a gen if it wasn't for the fact that it costs a ridiculous amount of money.

AfterTheSunset-Panerai.jpg

moochtar

Horology Curious
1/10/09
I have owned a chrono-quartz PO for 2 months now. It is great!
I also have a grail for the speedmaster, ever since I saw "the american" (which is a great movie regardless).
If the speedmaster were available in quartz at the local dealers, I would buy one.
BTW, why should you get the plexy-glass version? are others inaccurate?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yep, the real 60s/70s Moonie had a domed plexi rather than a crystal.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
To further confuse matters, you can install a domed plexi in the ST19 manual wind version of the rep to make it more accurate. Several people on this forum have done it, just do a search.

Daniel

Known Member
17/10/10
To further confuse matters, you can install a domed plexi in the ST19 manual wind version of the rep to make it more accurate. Several people on this forum have done it, just do a search.

Yes, the manual wind is certainly a very nice watch. But its not really "daily beater" material. It costs well over $200 and the subdial spacing is a very obvious tell (even without close inspection), so can't really wear it to work everyday. But I would consider it for weekend wear.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
A Fakey SMP is the only rep I use as a daily beater. It's an awesome and understated watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Yes, the manual wind is certainly a very nice watch. But its not really "daily beater" material. It costs well over $200 and the subdial spacing is a very obvious tell (even without close inspection), so can't really wear it to work everyday. But I would consider it for weekend wear.

You and I have different opinions on what constitutes a daily beater!

trandy16

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/08
Or...you could buy one of these...perhaps the ultimate daily beater....you can find these for about $150.00 or so:

DSC00742.jpg

Daniel

Known Member
17/10/10
How could I possibly forget:

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Its a 21J, I am not sure where this member got it from nor who sells these.
Very nice looking, if you know where to source one, shout out...

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Out of those it would definitely be the SMP for me. The blue is just enough to catch the eye without being obnoxious. Man, I miss mine...