• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A little trivia

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
takashi said:
Patek Philippe... don't know the model though.
Sky Moon Tourbillon

sky_moon.jpg

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
crumpdaddy said:
Got damn, those are beautiful - especially the blue face. What's retail price?
It's one watch. The blue face is the back face.

As for retail price ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Oh, ok, it's CHF 990,000 ($800,000)

ken72

Renowned Member
19/3/06
You guys got the company right but wrong watch. I is called a Calibre 89. It has 33 complications. 1,278 parts, 184 wheels, 61 bridges 126 jewels, and 68 springs. 71.5 mm wide and 26mm thick and weighs almost a pound. There were only 4 made and sold for about $3 million.
Here is a link if you are interested
http://marina.fortunecity.com/westindia/59/ppc89.htm
Ken72

Bigshooter

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Pugwash said:
Bigshooter said:
Bigshooter said:
What was the watch worn by the first man on the moon?

Anyone?
There wasn't a watch worn by the first man on the moon

O mega Speedmaster was worn by the Apollo 11 astronaut in July 1969; however the first watch in space was Bulova Accutron.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
The most complicated watch.....
Those who dont know Binary might say that it
is the most complicated. :lol:

ken72

Renowned Member
19/3/06
Bigshooter said:
Pugwash said:
Bigshooter said:
Bigshooter said:

Anyone?
There wasn't a watch worn by the first man on the moon

O mega Speedmaster was worn by the Apollo 11 astronaut in July 1969; however the first watch in space was Bulova Accutron.

Does anyone know how omega ended up with the contract with Nasa?

ken72

Renowned Member
19/3/06
No one? OK

Nasa contacted rolex and requested 50 chronometers to test and an employee of Rolex SA who took the call told Nasa they did not have enough in stock to send them. The powers that be at rolex were unaware of the original request and not to happy at the outcome. Just think they could have been wearing cosmographs or daytonas on the moon.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Bigshooter said:
Bigshooter said:
Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, left his Omega in the LEM. Buzz Aldrin, the second man on the moon, wore a Speedmaster.

So, the answer to "What was the watch worn by the first man on the moon?" would be "He wore several watches in his lifetime, including a Speedmaster on Apollo 11, but he didn't wear any watches on the moon. That was an honour left to Buzz Aldrin, the second man on the moon, and his Omega Speedmaster."

Will that do? :D

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
ken72 said:
Nasa contacted rolex and requested 50 chronometers to test and an employee of Rolex SA who took the call told Nasa they did not have enough in stock to send them. The powers that be at rolex were unaware of the original request and not to happy at the outcome. Just think they could have been wearing cosmographs or daytonas on the moon.
This also isn't quite the case. In 1962, when NASA started testing watches for space use, Rolex Chronos weren't as good as Omegas. The Daytona was just 2 years old and were apparently not available in Huston. The watches used were the only off-the-shelf piece of technical equipment used by NASA.

Click for link about moon watches

Anyway, as I was walking past the posh watch shop this morning, I saw a moon watch in the window. I want one now, because of all the research I did for this post ...