• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A different View of Andrews 4th gen PO

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
Well it arrived today and it’s visually stunning!
I should point out that I bought this on the 11th when Andrew told me he had one left, clearly he didn’t actually mean he would send that last one to me because he didn’t send me a watch until the 18th when his next batch came in.
With the watch in front of me the irritation over the whole “I have one leftâ€

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
@OC: excellent viewpoint you have! I think replacing rubber gasket is a good idea.

eLiNK

2/4/06
The quality of reps has dramatically increased in recent years, which has became possible due to technological advances in the watch industry.

At the same time, a number of brands have popped up at affordable prices.

And sometimes, when I hear such stories as yours, I do wonder if we got carried away with joy of having a rep of a high-priced watch and just pay too much for such reps.

There are genuine watches in the low-budget segment, which definitely don't have the issues you just mentioned.

A good example would be Ambasodoor calendar from Junghans.

The watch costs only about 250 euros, has sapphire glass and
a real moonphase dial.

Boy, am I sick of the laughing sun in asian reps!

Reactions: Mille Voci

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
:lol: I will take a look on that piece when I'm in Germany.

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
am relatively new to this whole rep thing.

When I wanted to buy my first rep a week ago , I read that the less expensive reps were very unreliable, poorly made , etc.. I fortunately heard of the noobmariner, AND ordered 1 but it isnt here yet. I was astounded , shocked, and dismayed that some one would have to appologise for a 100 $ chinese copy! This is rediculous ! I have , on my wrist , a dive watch which kinda looks like a blu sub, but its made by Aquacraft and costs 69 $. Of course its asian , but its a gen and gains 15 sec in 3 months! This watch is sold in dive shops and is excellant quality and diver quality. The major difference is no Rolex name, and some appearance. Is that worth hundreds of bucks? Apparebtly to some! I am still going to explore the reps but the prices are ridiculous on some! Read about the above PO, and this example is from a GOOD reliable dealer! Being a noobie, i guess i havent set aside my value considerations just to have famous names. Face it , making an exact replica is a piece of cake, some one else did all the work! Russia siezed and coppied an entire B 52 PRECISELY , Includeing all mechanicales and electronics and fire controll , and built them and flew them in less than 3 years!.I come from a background of 55 years of design and manufacturing engineering expierience in rocket science and aerospace. [yes , im an old fart, im 76:)] Someone gave the example of how hard it is to make an exact replica of someones signature. ****BULL S**T!!!!!! **** Give me just 1 piece of the hundreds of pieces of equiptment needed to make a rep watch , and ill duplicate it EXACTLY hundreds of times , without ANY variation !!!!!!!! Example! These reps movements are NOT engraved by hand !!! Computer guided lazers are great , and relatively cheap :)lol Example: sly stallones sig on the back of a pam!!!!!! Regards to you all :) Let the flames begin:) THOR :)

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
well My watch collection has many more genuine brands in it that reps but you are correct the regular seamasters for example are simply too cheap to waste time on a rep especially if your crazy enough to start modding it!

A good figure is a Replica should not cost more than 10% of the genuine price if it does your money is better saved and spent on a genuine!

you can see some my "real life" watch collection here:
http://www.crescent-pc.com/watchfetish/

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
@thor: very true. Indeed that's the case. You pay for the brand name.

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
THOR509

The whole "why can't they make a perfect replica" is a dead horse and its been thoroughly beaten.

One possibility is that these watches don't start out life to specificly become replicas so they are not designed to be spot on in the first place.

The other possibility is that the "Replica Manufacturers" are really really stupid and lazy and simpy can't do anything really well.

If the people making these replicas actually could speak or read english perhaps one of them could explain which is the real reason.

Either reason is probably half right depending on weather your a pesimist or an optimist you can choose which one you want to believe :D

LLCoolRS

Looking Around
5/4/06
OldeCrow said:
THOR509

The other possibility is that the Chinese are really really stupid and lazy and simpy can't do anything really well, other than make too many babies.

If the people making these replicas actually could speak or read english perhaps one of them could explain which is the real reason.

Even in an attempt to be humourous... i find this comment pretty ignorant, generallizing Chinese people to be stupid and lazy and mocking their inability to speak English. Intolerance manifiests itself in many forms. If Im totally off base here, well thats just how i see it. My opinions are my own.

LLCool

cwai02

Renowned Member
16/3/06
OldeCrow said:
THOR509

The other possibility is that the Chinese are really really stupid and lazy and simpy can't do anything really well, other than make too many babies.

Even it's a joke, I still consider it to be offensive.

Fact is they don't need to make it perfect and you ll keep buying different versions.

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
@oldecrow

it may be a dead horse but in all honesty you are sidestepping the value recieved intent of this whole thread:( that is 1 reason reps are still overpriced by a factor of 2 or so, compared to the SAME or BETTER quality rep withjout the famous name.) i dont blame the dealers, they cant dismantle and inspect every watch but money talks ! make the manufacturers pruduce quality products !! its in our and the dealers hands . we bitch to the dealers [and each other] and make the dealers bitch to the mfgers . things CAN change!!! I would pay more for a rep , BUT NOT as long as there a 50% failure rate!

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
THOR509 said:
it may be a dead horse but in all honesty you are sidestepping the value recieved intent of this whole thread:( that is 1 reason reps are still overpriced by a factor of 2 or so, compared to the SAME or BETTER quality rep withjout the famous name.) i dont blame the dealers, they cant dismantle and inspect every watch but money talks ! make the manufacturers pruduce quality products !! its in our and the dealers hands . we bitch to the dealers [and each other] and make the dealers bitch to the mfgers . things CAN change!!! I would pay more for a rep , BUT NOT as long as there a 50% failure rate!

@THOR509 you are absolutely right about needing to voice your complaints in order to get things changed! That’s why I will write about a bad experience as quickly as I will write about a good experience!
It’s important for both good and bad feedback to make its way back up the food chain so to speak.

You’re correct about the price too but you have to remember that there are pretty high losses to customs so half the price probably makes up for that!

You also might want to keep in mind that there are lots of people out there that have a better success rate than 50%! I also suspect that replica Omega’s (which make up most of my replica collection) are probably not as well made as replica Rolex’s simply because they make a lot more Rolex’s and they have more experience making them!
While there is room for improvement Swiss movement replicas are a great value when you get one that is well made. Even if you have pay your local jeweler to tinker with it your probably still money ahead of spending several thousand dollars on a genuine and you probably have a watch that’s just about as good.

LLCoolRS said:
Even in an attempt to be humourous... i find this comment pretty ignorant, generallizing Chinese people to be stupid and lazy and mocking their inability to speak English. Intolerance manifiests itself in many forms. If Im totally off base here, well thats just how i see it. My opinions are my own.
LLCool

cwai02 said:
Even it's a joke, I still consider it to be offensive.
Fact is they don't need to make it perfect and you ll keep buying different versions.

“Holier than thouâ€

sevomd

Renowned Member
31/3/06
I have a different POV. Maybe the people who manufacture the reps are just smart and we are playing into their hands. As long as we continue to buy the "non-perfect" reps and a market exists for them, they will continue to make them. They are not interested in the "holy grail" mentality that we all seem to posess. They are interested in the bottom line. If no market exists for these reps, then trust me, these factories will just turn around and strat making something else, without a second thought.

Eddy

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
50 % failure rate is too much IMHO. You should take a look at some of our dealers that do extra QC. That 50% maybe reduced to maybe 75%? The rest can be faulty due to shipping and unexpected abuse from user :p