• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A couple of Seamaster Pro's: "Red" and Chrono

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
After reading about the looking at photos of the SMP chrono, I finally ordered one from ruby a month or so ago. Everything we're read and heard about this watch is true. It's an outstanding replica.

I've also wanted the non-chrono version but have been waiting for the dealers to fix the problems with the "red" model. When I found one with the red "Seamaster" in its correct location, under the Omega name and logo, I snapped it up. Following is a side-by-side review of the two models and the genuine.

SMPssidebyside4.jpg

It turns there are some major differences in the quality and built of the two watches. As you know, the Chrono is powered by the new Asian 7750. My "Red" SMP is powered by a 21j "Asian," I'm not sure which model. I can hear the rotor whirring and spinning away when I gently shake the watch.

The first thing I noticed was the feel of the bracelet. The Chrono bracelet has smoother links, particularly around the edges. Hopefully you can see this in the following picture:

SMPlinks.jpg

The non-chrono version on the right has links that are squared off, not rounded like the Chrono on the left. This gives the bracelet a rougher feel, not smooth like the Chrono's bracelet. Plus, the bracelet feels a little lighter, not as robust. Also, the bezel on the "Red" watch is a darker blue than that on the Chrono. I thought it was black when I opened the package.

Here's a shot of their dials:

SMPssidebyside3.jpg

It's really apparent in this shot, but the printing on the "Red" dial is a bit rougher than that of the Chrono. It reminds of comparing 600 dpi laser printing with 1,200 dpi. There's a difference but you might need a magnifying glass to see it. The date font is different, and, as you will see in a minute, it is different than the gen but same as is used in my PO.

Okay, side-by-side with the genuine:

RedSMPfront.jpg
OmegaSMP.JPG

The rep's second hand is not as long as the gen's. (Hard to tell because it's blurred in my pic.)
The hour markers are smaller on the rep and have the usual poor rep lume.
Pearl is bigger on the rep (and lumes like crazy!).
The "Omega" letters are not joined like on the gen.
The "I" at 9:00 and 6:00 and "II" at 12:00 are thicker and shorter than the gen.
The bezel font is thicker on the rep.
The printing below the post is a bit wider than the gen.
Though it's hard to tell here, I think the helium valve is in the correct position. At least it looks to be positioned the same as on the Chrono.
Date font is wrong, as I said earlier.
The rep lacks the little hour marker block between the date box and the edge of the dial.

In summary, not a real accurate rep. It's many flaws doom it to be given to one of my sons, probably the 21-year-old.
Still, I'll enjoy wearing it for a while and it only set me back $89.

Here are my 3 Omegas:

3Omegas.jpg

See how the "Red" date font looks to be the same as on the PO?

Parting shots:

SMPssidebyside1.jpg

SMPChrono.jpg

SMPssidebyside2.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Good Review

Doc,

Those photos are top notch and your review is one of the most thorough "comparative" reviews I have seen to date. I have also noticed the squared edges on the new red bond model and that has kept me away but it is such a beautiful watch how can one resist? I think you could rework the edges of the bracelet. Such a project would be challenging and fun. Are the lug holes the same distance to allow you to swap bracelets?

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Thanks, R2D2.

The bracelet edges could be reworked but that would leave the mid links still squared off. A bracelet swap would work, but you're still left with the faults of the dial. Perhaps when the next ETA version comes out?

I realize I forgot to shoot the clasp and case back. Oops.

Bearcat

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/06
Doc:

Excellent photos and a great review. Thanks for posting.

Bigrahizzle

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/9/07
Nice writeup Doc. Thanks. Hey doc remember that TWP PAM127. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago. I cant wait till i get it. Ill post pics in the Pam section wwhen i get it.

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Looking forward to seeing the pics and getting your impression.

LastDiplomat

28/6/07
Thanks for the side-by-side review/comparison.

I thought some might also be interested to know that a better rep of the 2220.80 "Red" Seamaster has turned up.
Ask your favorite dealer if he/she can obtain one.

Personally, I just told a friend that it sure would make a great present, heh:

newsmp1.jpg

Still not perfect (what is?) and the one pictured is an Asian movement not ETA,
but it's a lot closer than what's been available to date.
There's a shadow cast over the dial so the Omega emblem is difficult to see,
but it's there and it's a metal attachment just like on the gen.

Flaws include slightly too small hour markers, a slightly too large 3 o'clock marker (at least it's there!), also the 3 o'clock marker should be an attachment like the other hour markers but it appears to be painted on, pearl isn't accurate but we've all seen worse, HE valve is placed incorrectly, spacing on the "300m/1000ft" printing is incorrect, and I have another photo which shows the back of the watch and it's the same as the regular SMP whereas on the gen the caseback has a new design. All in all, I can live with these flaws, but a closer rep would indeed be welcomed.

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Much better. If you don't mind:

newsmp1.jpg

OmegaSMP.JPG

Date font still wrong, too wide.
Can't the bracelet links that well, but they appear to still be too square.
Looks like the logo fell off.
Name is great. Dial printing much improved. Second hand right length.
Hour markers still look a little thick, but better.

You model is much improved over mine.

Still, the Chrono rocks!

LastDiplomat

28/6/07
Hey AllergyDoc,

When you say it looks like the logo fell off, do you mean the Omega emblem/symbol?
As I explained in my original post, it's there. It's just very difficult to see due to the lighting.
The metal emblem is the same color as the word "Omega" but when the light doesn't hit it, it looks dark.

Here's another pic of the same rep from a different dealer which shows the Omega logo a little better
(note the crooked 12 o'clock marker on this version):

newsmp2.jpg

Another flaw I forgot to mention is the misaligned bezel which seems to be a recurring issue on these SMPs.
Thankfully, it's an easy fix.

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
I see it now. I could barely make out the outline on the earlier picture. The name and emblem look like little bits of rusted metal! Just the lighting, I'm sure.

varock

14/5/07
i really hope they eventually make a decent replica of the red seamaster.

LastDiplomat

28/6/07
Yeah, the lighting is tricky with the new metal Omega logo.
I've seen pictures of gens that appear very dark as well.

Omega seems to be replacing their SMP models with these new
Co-Axial versions with red lettering and new logo.
The same is true for the Quartz model and the Chronograph
which both have a "red" version as well.

The rep AllergyDoc shows above seems to be a combination
of the Co-Axial SMP and the new style Quartz SMP
(which has red lettering but does not have a metal logo).

I think the more time goes by, the more interest will grow
in this version of the SMP and the better the reps will get.
This watch was only released late last year and I don't think
enough interest has built just yet. So let's get requesting from our dealers!

varock

14/5/07
also, i think it's important to note that the caseback on the red SMP's (or at least the ones i've seen) are incorrect.

pit36bus

Known Member
22/10/07
i'm a big fan of the seamaster chrono. its a big chunk of steel and so sporty!

jkwhyd

30/5/07
Doc:

Nice post and detailed analysis. I also have the SMP Chrono from Ruby. It is indeed a very nice watch.

jk