• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

8215 second hand jamming

Quick_Build

Known Member
25/4/17
Having a weird issue with a Miyota 8215, wanted to share/get opinions

I have an 8215 in a Raffles 2824 36mm case (Air King dial, if you're wondering) and have been wearing the watch daily for a few months with no issues at all. The other day I was working outside and got the watch soaked, and in the morning the crystal was lightly fogged on the inside, but still had correct time and was working well. I took the watch apart and did a thorough cleaning, the movement did not appear to have suffered any contamination under my 10x loupe.

Once reassembled, it continued to keep time and work normally for a few days. At work, I noticed it had stopped ticking, and the second hand looked like it had 'fallen over', as the tip was resting on the dial, and oddly, the minute hand had come loose from the pinion and was spinning freely when I shook the watch.

When I came home from work, I took the watch back apart, inspected the movement as well as I could - did not see any signs of moisture or mechanical damage, and reassembled the movement/dial/hands. The hands went back onto the pinion normally with no indication of damage. I manually wound the assembly and monitored it on the bench during the night. It kept time very well and did not stop ticking for 36 hours. The next day, I reassembled the watch and wore it during the morning as I worked inside my home on the computer. During the morning,the second hand again 'fell over' and was resting on the dial. In frustration, I shook the watch and tapped it lightly on my wood assembly block and it resumed ticking normally for another hour, before stopping again and repeating the same problem.

I have also noticed that now, suddenly, the stem setting seems to matter. If I simply unscrew the stem, sometimes the second hand will jump and resume ticking normally, sometimes not. This was never an issue beforehand.

So, that's where we're at now. Is the second hand pinion a common problem area with the 8215 movement?