• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

7750 question.....

mintCondition

Getting To Know The Place
19/6/10
It seems like all the nice auto AP watches with
Working stop watch functionality are running the
7750 Asia movement. I have never bought a
Watch with this movement, and all the posts
About reliability has me worried, or rather
Scared to buy on of these APs. are some places
More reliable than others for this movement?

I've bought from Jee and Hont and been happy,
But nothing with this 7750 in it. Can anyone
Offer any words of wisdom on what to steer
Clear of? Some of the nicer AP reps are upwards
Of 600-700$$. Are these worth the price?

I'll pay for a good rep with the seconds running @
12, but I want it reliable and not have to be
Scared to use the stopwatch functions.

Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse.
:headdesk:

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
23/10/09
Ok, 7750 is reliable, its the modifcation to the movement on the audemars piguets to bring the second to 12 O clock that isnt reliable, there are ways around it, 1, send it to modders to put jewels in the transfer plate, 2, buy the second @ 9 version

mintCondition

19/6/10
Ok, 7750 is reliable, its the modifcation to the movement on the audemars piguets to bring the second to 12 O clock that isnt reliable, there are ways around it, 1, send it to modders to put jewels in the transfer plate, 2, buy the second @ 9 version

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense. I recall the Swiss ETA 7750 is supposed to be very reliable. So, it's the modification that makes it less reliable. But is it just the modification to put the seconds at the 12 or would any mod mess this movement up? Even some of the Rolex Daytona reps have this movement but have the seconds running at the 6 position. Does that make these less reliable as well?

Thanks again for the info.

14060 or 16610?

Renowned Member
2/3/07
The A7750 in its base form with running seconds at 9 can be very reliable, accurate, and long-lived if you start with a good one and have it serviced. The reason for servicing is simple, the A7750 often arrives dirty, misadjusted, dry, overoiled, or any combination of the above. With that said, if the movement shows any issues at all, it may not be worth servicing and should probably be returned to the dealer.

As for the modifications, the seconds at 12 and seconds at 3 aren't bad (actually seconds at 3 is executed rather well), but again you need to start with a good one that is keeping good time and not exhibiting any issues, then go ahead and have it serviced. The seconds at 6 versions are fundamentally flawed from the beginning, and even with servicing there is only a 50 percent chance or less that it will be fine.

mintCondition

19/6/10
This is excellent info! Thank you both for so for taking the time to explain this to me. I really had no idea there were this many ways to bastardize a 7750 movment. I found it interesting that a 21j variation of some of the popular AP models are available, as were quartz. It seems to me that the safest way to go, with the greatest functionality would be the 7750 with running seconds at the 9 like you said..... But, I guess that would scream "copy".

:)

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
The latest versions of sec@12 have jewels added to the problem gear.
The Chinese have added this jewel to the movement in March, so all new released watches have this improved movement.
The silver and grey themes come with this movement, also the Barrichello, on some of the older releases it could be that you receive the old movement, depending of the dealers stocking.
So all releases after March have the new movement, the silver theme was sold out and this is why it has the new movement.

The Chinese have added this jewel to the movement in March, so all new released watches have this improved movement.
The silver and grey themes come with this movement, also the Barrichello, on some of the older releases it could be that you receive the old movement, depending of the dealers stocking.
So all releases after March have the new movement, the silver theme was sold out and this is why it has the new movement.

mintCondition

19/6/10
That's cool that they fixed the issue. Someone was listening. I ran across this article while I was digging around for 7750 information. It's really interesting and tries to explain how the 7750 was modified with extra gears for the seconds @ 6 o'clock position.

http://www.wrist-check.com/showthre...-with-running-seconds-at-6&p=12172&viewfull=1

Interesting enough, they repositioned everything by adding gears to circumnavigate the dial. I wouldn't have been thought this would be possible. Still, the first diagram that shows the 7750 movement in its native form. I'm blown away that any 7750 could be used as the starting point with this much needed modification.

:thinking:

Here's another good site on the clones that use 7750

http://www.tswisswatch.com/bdaytona copieslog/?cat=14

It made me wonder about the Daytona copies that claim to use the 7750. The stock configuration of the daytona sub dials do not match the configuration of the stock 7750 movement.

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
yes,...mine one was broken..need to buy the new movmt ..damn ..it is an expensive hobbby!

georgegk21

2/9/07
so anyone have the latest version ??? is more realable ........because i want the black themes ..............but the movment problems keep away until now....
i will consider also about berricello in titanium ,,,,,but i will wait until january i will go to gz for a few days ............

romulous

6/8/10

Hi Guru,
I am a new member and I to am about to purchase an AP with a A7750 movement with seconds at 12. The model that I am planning on getting is the Juan Pablo Montoya Limited Edition in gold I plan on getting the watch from Replicamake. On the Replicamake website it indicates that this model AP was added to there catalog on Friday April 16th, 2010. Would it be safe for me to assume that if I purchase this AP that I will be getting the factory improved movement with the extra jewels? Thanks for a quick reply as I was hoping to make the purchase this weekend. AND THANKS FOR PROVIDING SUCH A WONDERFUL FORUM :)

romulous

6/8/10
Hi Guru,
I almost forgot I also plan on getting from the same dealer Replicamake the Roger Dubois cronoexcel. It to has an A7750 movement but in the listing it is refered to as a modified A7750 movement. It says that it has been modded to have the same functions (counts 45 min instead of 60 on the chrono 3 position.
I am a newbie do you think that this movement will be ok as far as reliability? I am not sure what they mean by 45 min instead of 60 at the chrono 3. If someone can explain (translate LOL) that to me I will be forever greatful:)