• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

7750 First fix!

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
After my minutes at 3 would not reset to the correct position (0) on both my 187 and my 196 Asian Pams I decided to open them up and fix. I first opened the 187 to take a look. My hope was the hand was loose and just needed a tweak, no such luck. I studied what I could see just below the first (self winding) bridge and noticed that the wheels were not aligned properly and gave a tiny nudge to the gear I could see mis aligned through purely dumb luck it fixed the problem. I know I will need to go back and really look at the cause but for now it's "fixed".

Feeling very confident I moved on the the 196. I looked for the loose hand...no such luck. I looked at the gear alignment and was unable to get the same results as the 187. I noticed that the 7750 in the 196 was a better movement no obviously sloppy mis aligned gears although something jumped to cause the incorrect 0 reset. I decided that I would disassemble the first bridge which would enable me to disengage the gear, position at zero and be done with it. All went well using the few tools I had, really only screw drivers. I did not have the ETA documents that Pugwash was kind enough to post for me at the time. I was flying blind. I fixed the gear alignment and was ready for assembly.

Since I did not have the ETA docs I was not assembling in the correct order and I lost a clutch spring, or so I thought. At that point I was dead in the water and realized that I was getting ready to screw my watch up if I didn't get my plan together. I put all the pieces in a secure covered spot and started my research. After reading on the 7750, getting the ETA docs I ordered the following:

Movement holder
Hands puller
Swiss screwdriver set
Fine oiler
Xfine oiler
Moebius D5 and 9010, 9020
watch face shields
speed lube for gaskets
tweezers
Magnify light
Last but not least the clutch spring

Some I ordered from Cousins in the UK and the rest I got from a US company (can't remember name right now).

Whilst waiting for my tools to arrive I studied the ETA docs and anything else I saw on the 7750. I learned a great deal and realized that the 7750 is really a great movement, much history and interesting beginings....I digress.

After my equipment came in I was ready. The ETA docs are great because they give you the order in which the parts are assembled. I realized the reason I was having trouble on the first assembly was the order I was following. The task, even with the ETA info was no easy matter. After an entire Sat afternoon I was done. I had to pull the self wind bridge several time because something was binding but I finally got it right! The watch is running and keeping good time. The chronos work great and the pressure needed to start and reset is much better after the oiling.

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Oh yeah my 7750 did also not reset the 12h hand..... until I noticed that I did not push the reset button enough in :D

Nice work

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Ferrariman
Incredibly impressed- first that you had the cajones to try and fly blind, and actually fixed a watch that way.
Second that you kept your cool and found the docs, parts and tools to put your 196 together. And actually succeeded!

As part of your continuing education, you should service my new 196, which needs a recentering of the large seconds hand and some lube probably.

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
Jurgenk said:
Ferrariman
Incredibly impressed- first that you had the cajones to try and fly blind, and actually fixed a watch that way.
Second that you kept your cool and found the docs, parts and tools to put your 196 together. And actually succeeded!

As part of your continuing education, you should service my new 196, which needs a recentering of the large seconds hand and some lube probably.

Thanks Jurgenk, I appreciate your kind words. I would not recommend doing what I did on my first go around. Get the tools and info first then dig in. YOU CAN DO IT! You could get away with a hands puller and simply remove the hand and reapply in the correct place.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
I'm a firm believer in movement DIY. Well done on having the balls to try. :D

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
pugwash said:
I'm a firm believer in movement DIY. Well done on having the balls to try. :D

Aw shucks thanks. :D I could not have done it without the help of those that sent me or posted the docs for me.

My tinkering is lead-up to building a watch. I have seen some really cool movements from Cousins in the UK. I would like to do a display back, manual wind, non branded 44+mm watch. I saw that Otto had packages but the price is crazy. Anyone have any good sources for Just cases?