• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5th Gen PO and tapping case for gen tube replacement

tclaw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/7/12
I just received a 5th Gen PO and the first mod I'd like to make is to replace the tube and crown. I've seen on posts where people have removed the tube and glued in the replacement. However, since it appears that the genuine tube is threaded, I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to tap the hold on the case?

Am I over thinking this and just using marine epoxy is the easiest?

That's for your input!

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
If not mistaken the tube is a press fit therefore, threads are not required. The 5th gen tube is threaded for info. Most of what I have read or seen is the tube is epoxied using JB Weld or similar epoxy. Search through the modifications section and the Omega section and you should find more information.

oldtools

Renowned Member
14/6/11
The gen tube is threaded, but is smaller than the hole left in the case after removing the rep tube. Most people just fill the difference with epoxy, but some have machined a press in sleeve that is treaded to accept the gen tube.

rol_man

Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
The gen tube is threaded, but is smaller than the hole left in the case after removing the rep tube. Most people just fill the difference with epoxy, but some have machined a press in sleeve that is treaded to accept the gen tube.
Thanks OT, I stand corrected.

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
+1 - I went the sleeve route.

I've had bad experiences with epoxy myself.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I've used epoxy for mine with no issues (so far). Really up to you on which route you choose to go.

TheCold

15/8/09
can second that acording to the modder which fitted my tube using the marine epoxy and his special stainlees steel glue?? I still had it detached, I solved it filling up the little play which was there with an amount of the strongest locktite thread locker (which require some kind of mechanical device to remove it?) and it sits as tights as ever. Although one must take into account that 3 different glues were used to bond this tube.

On a second note I think that the modder was not using the glue in the right manner :biglaugh:
If a healthy amount of glue (to cover the play) should be used and dried accordingly you should be good!