• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5th gen Omega PO 42mm - remaining flaws?

Mendel

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/8/09
Hi Community,

i've been searching the forum now for a while to find information about the remaining flaws in the current Version (5th gen) of the Omega PO 42mm but can't find anything about it.
Can you help me? How about HE-Valve position, Bracelet Clasp, Datewheel font, Omega logo spacing and all that stuff in the 5th gen, is that all fixed now?
What remaining flaws do you all know?

many thanks

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Those flaws are still there.

HEV is too large and on some models too low.
The date font is off. (replacement ETA wheel is only $15)
The pearl is too large.
Some clasps break.
The Omega logo on the dial is the best it has ever been.

All in all. Not a bad rep.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Crappy bracelet, from what I keep hearing. I still think Narikaa's PO had the best bracelet.

On my v4 I swapped bracelets and sold Narikaa's PO with the v4 bracelet. It seems the v5 and v4 shared the same bracelet maybe. At least the same problems with broken clasps.

MAC

Horology Curious
23/8/10
He Valve and crown too large.

Pearl sometimes is not centered and sticks out too much.

That Mushroom looking thing on the bracelet breaks easily.

The Clasp Says professional and the AR is blue: the old blue AR PO model clasp
comes without the professional, and the newer PO model with clear AR have the clasp with professional engraved.So, it's not consistent with any of the gen versions available.

The 952 engraved at the inside of the bracelet is backwards.

Bracelet gap between the bracelet and case is too big.

Omega logo doesn't have the appropiate shape, it doesn't have happy feet, but it isn't right either.(there are newer rep version with correct shaped logo)

Omega logo has the wrong position, it is too low and close to the OMEGA word.

Text on the dial is gray and gen is white.

And the usual crown thread problem with reps.

NOT a super rep at all. Not remotely close.

Mendel

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/8/09
thanks for your answers so far.

-The problem with the low HEV position should be manageable by controlling the QC pics before confirming the order. But is it posible to replace the too big HEV by a gen one with the correct size?

-Date font is an easy fix

-Is it possible to replace the bezel by a genuine one in order fix that notorious "pearl problem", or does the rep differ in size so that a gen bezel wouldn't fit?

-are there any more flaws in the 5th generation PO 42mm???

Edit: thanks MAC. I've just noticed your post.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
The Clasp Says professional and the AR is blue: the old blue AR PO model clasp comes without the professional, and the newer PO model with clear AR have the clasp with professional engraved.So, it's not consistent with any of the gen versions available.

Please clarify for me what you are stating about the clasp: The clasp should include the word PROFESSIONAL in small plain caps. The AR should be clear. Is that what you are stating? If so, this is accurate, at least as with my gen.

MAC

Horology Curious
23/8/10
-The problem with the low HEV position should be manageable by controlling the QC pics before confirming the order. But is it posible to replace the too big HEV by a gen one with the correct size?

Yes, it's possible to replace it, but it's not a direct swap, the same with the crown. For example, to replace the crown you have to buy the gen crown and tube and do a little mod to make them fit because the drilled hole in the case is too big for the gen tube. I don't know the details about the He Valve, but i think it may be similar, probably someone else has donde it and can help you with that. :D

-Is it possible to replace the bezel by a genuine one in order fix that notorious "pearl problem", or does the rep differ in size so that a gen bezel wouldn't fit?

Rep and gen bezel have different size, they're not a direct swap. Modding needed. The easier option to fix this is to get one with centered pearl, then mask everythin but the pearl and sand the pearl carefully, i have a couple photos of the modding result. I'l post them when i get home.

Please clarify for me what you are stating about the clasp: The clasp should include the word PROFESSIONAL in small plain caps. The AR should be clear. Is that what you are stating? If so, this is accurate, at least as with my gen.

You are 100% right. Let me explain.

The old Po version has blue AR and NO "professional" engraved in the clasp.

The newer PO version has clear AR and "professional" engraved in the clasp, just like the gen model i assume you have. :D

The problem with the rep is that it's a combination of both versions, (Blue Ar and Professional engraved), and omega never produced such combination. I am nitpicking here, but after all, it's a flaw.

The gen you have is the one that should be repped, beautiful watch.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
A Gen owner who bought their PO on rubber could buy the newer bracelet. So blue AR and "PROFESSIONAL" should not concern anyone, IMO.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
I've heard the "952" SEL engraving is backwards more than once. That must be a luck of the draw thing. I've got 2 of the 5th gens... from Lay and John. (Joshs' has a better dial on mine) and neither have had that issue. They now both have gen SEL's to cure the gap issue but weren't backwards as per the gens on either watches.

thanks for your answers so far.

-Date font is an easy fix

-are there any more flaws in the 5th generation PO 42mm???

Edit: thanks MAC. I've just noticed your post.
While the gen HEV will solve the crown size issue, putting the gen tube in requires drilling a deeper recess...if not the gen case sticks way too far out of the case.
I'm building a Franken at the moment. The HEV is functional and waterproof and the crown size isn't an isuue for me so I won't be fooling with it.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
They now both have gen SEL's to cure the gap issue but weren't backwards as per the gens on either watches.

Could you put up some pics of the SEL's fitted? I want to see if I need to make my $900 rep crack the $1g mark!