• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

45mm PO from Jay

chucklehd

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/07
Jay just sent me a 45mm PO with black bezel and pumpkin numbers. It seems this watch, in general has been reviewed ad nauseum, but as this is now my watch, I'll take the liberty to do it again. :D

Briefly, I was hoping for/expecting a well-constructed watch which worked as it should, looked good, looked like the gen while on my wrist and wasn't too far off on close inspection. (In that order.) I was not expecting 1:1 perfection which I have, in my limited experience, yet to see. In short, I think I got what I hoped for. The watch looks and feels fantastic. I beleive that, from my wrist, it will fool even most that surf these boards and certainly all that don't.

Jay: Great to work with. Quick response, quick shipping

The Watch
Weight: nice and heavy on the wrist. Feels solid and well, constructed.
Movement: Advertised as Swiss ETA. I haven't cracked the case and doubt I ever will, but it runs well, seems to keep good time over the few hours I've had it. No problems at all with the crown engaging the movement, winding. (definitely a problem I've seen with other reps) Movement is hackable for what that's worth.
Case: Solid, no issues
Bezel: Came with an adhesive cover. No scratches. Pretty close to gen to my eyes.
Dial: Looks good, no marks or issues. Orange color on numerals appears very close. Logo is too tall as noted by many others
Hands: These look great to me. I know size has supposedly been an issue in the past, but these look like they are correct now. Comments appreciated on this point. The seconds hand tip is a bright orange. Again very close to gen in my newb opinion. I have no issues with the date window; it seems well aligned.
Band: Pretty solid. A bit of a pain to size, although I managed with just a simple strap tool and a pair of pliers and only bent one pin which I won't need anyway.
Lume: Hands are crazy bright. The dial marks, not so much.
AR: I have no idea.

The negatives:
Overall, I'm very happy with this watch, but I'll list the issues that I have noticed. None bother me enough to wipe the stupid, "I just got a sweet watch" grin off my face.
1. The bezel doesn't line up perfectly. I expect this from reps. Really doesn't bother me that much. I think others have written tutorials on how to fix this. I doubt I'll get around to it.
2. When the crown is unscrewed to wind or set the watch, the dial and movement move a tiny bit within the case, although when the crown is screwed down everything is tight and nothing moves. Perhaps the gen has the same issue, but I doubt it.
3. Love to get feedback on this one. I had read posts from others getting dials where the logo is crooked, slanted slightly to the left before this watch arrived. When I opened it, that was the first thing I looked for. My verdict.... Maybe? ever so slightly??? or maybe it sort of looks that way because the bezel doesn't quite line up??? or maybe it's fine and I'm seeing things because I'm looking for them. In the end, I've decided if I can't decide if it is or isn't despite actively looking for it, even on my supermacro pics, it can't be bad enough to worry about. I'll enjoy everyone's thoughts on this after viewing the pics. Any comments or questions welcomed.

Enjoy
IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

Note: I am not a toolbox that likes a watch to dangle like some girly bracelet. The wrist shot is prior to sizing the band :D

calbears03

Known Member
12/1/07
the silix 45.5 PO isnt the ultimate.

the AR is pretty weak. and like you already stated, the Omega symbol is way too big. those 2 flaws in itself is pretty significant

chucklehd

29/3/07
calbears03 said:

the AR is pretty weak. and like you already stated, the Omega symbol is way too big. those 2 flaws in itself is pretty significant

Granted, but I would still argue the watch is a great deal for the price asked. Furthermore, I would point out the following:

1. I have yet to find myself unable to tell the time secondary to glare/reflection
2. I'd be suprised if "ultimate" is spot on.
3. Did I mention the price?

Flame suit on.

dylan

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/07
Nevada and California
chucklehd said:
calbears03 said:

Granted, but I would still argue the watch is a great deal for the price asked. Furthermore, I would point out the following:

1. I have yet to find myself unable to tell the time secondary to glare/reflection

Flame suit on.

The ultimate version imho is probably one of the best reps out. And you can get them for under $200 shipped from
some dealers. How much was Jay's?

calbears03

Known Member
12/1/07
werd.

i have the ultimate version and ive seen the jay one and ive compared both.

for less than a 50 dollar difference, i would go the one that has the STRONGER AR and the correct omega sign.

i dont think thats being too picky.

dylan said:
chucklehd said:
calbears03 said:

Flame suit on.

The ultimate version imho is probably one of the best reps out. And you can get them for under $200 shipped from
some dealers. How much was Jay's?

chucklehd

29/3/07
:oops: I stand corrected.

Jay's is advertised for $150. I couldn't find ultimate for less than about $240.

Now what in the world am I missing on the AR thing? I've got gens with AR and I still don't know how it affects the look of the watch.

And for the record, I still think this thing is sweet. Anyone dare to take one of these in a swimming pool yet?

calbears03

Known Member
12/1/07
if you are happy with it, thats great. i think thats all that should matter.

for me, AR is pretty important. i just love staring at the blue tint. in terms of accuracy to the gen, lack of AR is one of the first and easiest way to spot a rep omega or breitling.

functionally, i dont think it helps too much in terms of glare reduction. for me, its more about aesthetics.

calbears03

Known Member
12/1/07
ruby has the latest PO for 199 shipped i think.

another thing about the silix PO is that the pearl is elevated from the bezel. looking like a little nipple. i dont think its supopsed to be that way.

who2R

Known Member
9/3/07
silix's PO has some different in a few area if compare to u.PO carried by other dealers, I believe Chuck aware of that before he made the decision to go for Silix's. As long as he is happy about his new toy.....we should be happy for him :)

"....2. I'd be suprised if "ultimate" is spot on....."

You are Correct.....for $200+ "ultimate PO" is NOT spot on either.

chucklehd

29/3/07
Thanks for the comments guys. Love that about this forum. Hopefully anyone else considering the PO will make a more informed decision.

For me, I was aware of the logo some of the other differences. My price point was closer to $100, so $150 was a stretch for me, but I thought it was worth it to get the Swiss ETA. I was just happy it looked so good and worked well.

Now if I can just help my wife understand why I shelled out hard earned cash for a dive watch I can't even take in the shower. :D

sweet

14/4/07
chucklehd said:
Thanks for the comments guys. Love that about this forum. Hopefully anyone else considering the PO will make a more informed decision.

For me, I was aware of the logo some of the other differences. My price point was closer to $100, so $150 was a stretch for me, but I thought it was worth it to get the Swiss ETA. I was just happy it looked so good and worked well.

Now if I can just help my wife understand why I shelled out hard earned cash for a dive watch I can't even take in the shower. :D

No waterproof? :eek: :eek:

sweet

14/4/07
Haha, me neither. I hear silix has some good waterproofing though.