• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

42mm UPO experts - Nit-Pick Me!

grifter

Known Member
28/6/10
I just got this from Sead this morning. I'm very impressed with it! Sead was great and delivery was super fast.

I am no Omega expert, so please tell me what you see that needs changing. Let me know the order of urgency also. I bought this as a long term side project to do while I wait for other projects to bloom.

Thanks!

3600db16.jpg

ce821b42.jpg

a46626b5.jpg

4edea06a.jpg

f7322d2d.jpg

0deac573.jpg

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Reset the 11:00 marker or the 5:00 marker or both. That misalignment would make the watch unwearable to me as every time I looked at it all I'd see s this blatant flaw.

Urgency: 1

King0

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/12/11
I think it's the 11:00 marker that's off, not the 5:00. I'm no PO expert, but it looks pretty good apart from that.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I think it's both markers - neither one points at the canon pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhotoGuy

26/10/11
Is it just me or are all the markers off? Shouldn't the center of all the markers point to the canon pin?

How's the lume? Gen lume is two colors, green and blue. IIRC, the pearl and minute hand are blue and everything else is green.

Feuervogel

Known Member
10/5/11
I don´t trust this pic with the blue lines. This perspective with the lines will make us believing the lume dots are very bad aligned.
First: The blue lines are not centered in the middle
Second: The blue lines ends are not beginning centered in the lume dot
Third: The watchmakers could glue the lume dots only exactly between the small white markings. How shall in this case appear mistakes?

Turn every blue line around the center a little bit and you will see a nearly perfect dial!

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
Well to solve this issue ... just go with a Gen dial + Gen Hands you'll have a great dial full lumed and no more missalignement

Dudemeister

Known Member
15/9/09
There are a few problems with jcrry2 attempt to demonstrate the misalignment. First of all, in the original image, the camera was not perfectly perpendicular to the face of the dial. Secondly, the picture was also rotated slightly counter clockwise (1.32°).

In the image below, I first rotated the image clockwise so that the 12 and 6 o'clock markers are perfectly vertical, then drew vertical and horizontal lines across the top of the markers to line them up. You'll notice that the top markers (11 and 1 o'clock) appear slightly closer to the center than the bottom ones (5 & 7). That is because the camera was not perfectly perpendicular to the watch and you get a slight perspective effect.

I next drew radii starting from the center every 30°, and from what I can see, and considering the slight shift due to the camera not being perpendicular to the watch plane, the only marker that is slightly misaligned is at 11 o'clock. But overall, it looks pretty damn good.

UPO%20markers.jpg

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Thank god there's some common sense finally, well said Dudemeister, QC photos usually don't ever hit the dial straight on, these aren't forensic standard photographic lab conditions we are dealing with here. If a marker looks extremely skewed it will show up but this is unnecessary nitpicking....I'd imagine you quite easily could reproduce the same silly nitpicks with a gen watch.

The watch looks perfectly fine grifter, you'd be silly to reject that based on the above evidence.

grifter

Known Member
28/6/10
Thanks everyone! Wow so impressed by the responses!!

I already have the watch in hand. I will order a stem, crown and tube first and swap those out first.

Other than that, the strong blue of the rep ar is bugging me. Do you think a gen crystal is worth it or should I have the rep crystal ar'd by a modder?

opinions please :)

bluesteel

31/12/09
Wow! That's some pretty impressive attention to detail. I'll be looking over my two planet ocean's to see if everything is aligned now.

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
I know he asked for nit picking but that diagram to show the alignment is something else!

Gen crystal IMHO is only worth doing if it's being done with the dial to really show it off.

Be warned modding is addictive and expensive!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
:D yeah agree, I didn't mean to cause offence with my last post, just that that level of nit-picking is taking it too far ott, nobody will notice these things, anyway, if you are going to go cheap and get a relume or all out and get a gen dial...(either is a must) then the marker angles will be sorted then fairly rapidly :D

I'd agree with matt, the rep crystal is not perfect out of the box but it does look similar to the older bluer AR'd gen PO that was out from around 2005ish-2009ish, it just lacks the strength of gen AR transparency (If that makes sense) The newer PO's 2009 onward have less blue and more clear AR so it depends on what you want. I'd get the rep crystal AR'd personally as it would then be very close to gen, the gen crystal is very expensive.

So we have stem, crown, tube...a must. Gen dial/hands, then crystal/bezel(your one is fairl y good on it's own, I'd leave that as is, the gen is £200 arrrgh!) and He valve is just cosmetic. Not really worth bothering with that.

Really depends on how far you want to go, you can have a gorgeous watch with gen dial/hands/crown/tube and AR'd crystal for £400ish or you can go all out and double that price for the other very minor additional touches. Not worth it imo unless you absolutely love the watch, and if you do then you'd be looking for 2nd user gen.

Dudemeister

Known Member
15/9/09
I have a couple of PO's myself (42mm black and Chrono pumpkin), and frankly I'm not that big into modding. The only mod I would try would be the sunken DW on the chrono version.

I don't think the crown and tube on the PO's are that bad, the one to watch for is the SMP chrono. That tube and crown are made of butter, they strip if you look at them wrong.

I think that replicas are just what their name implies, and they'll never be perfect. But they are so good nowadays, that only you will now what it is, no one would be able to tell while you're wearing it.

The only problem I see with replicas it the addictiveness of collecting more, and more, and more... ;)

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
Gen Cristal ... all the way ... just look what I did whith my UPO 45mm and you can do the same with your 42 mm

The best mod you can do are Gen Dial + Hands + Gen bezel + Gen Sapphire ...

omegagmt

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/10
Gen Cristal ... all the way ... just look what I did whith my UPO 45mm and you can do the same with your 42 mm

The best mod you can do are Gen Dial + Hands + Gen bezel + Gen Sapphire ...

+1

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I wasn't trying to be anal or anything. He asked for nit-picking and honestly the 11 and 5 markers misalignment jumped out at me. It was the first thing I saw without even having to look closely at the watch.
Perhaps it was the angle of the camera, but none of the other markers look askew enough to notice.
Anyway, gen dial, hands, crystal, clasp, perhaps bracelet, and eventually movement and you'd have quite a nice watch there!
Or just enjoy it as is and forego the $1000+ it would take to Franken it.
I'd do the latter.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Only pulling your leg levelmanroger, I didn't mean to sound so standoffish above. You've got a bloody good eye though......you must be a nightmare for the dealers when it comes to getting your QC pics ;)

...just joking :)

I wasn't trying to be anal or anything. He asked for nit-picking and honestly the 11 and 5 markers misalignment jumped out at me. It was the first thing I saw without even having to look closely at the watch.
Perhaps it was the angle of the camera, but none of the other markers look askew enough to notice.
Anyway, gen dial, hands, crystal, clasp, perhaps bracelet, and eventually movement and you'd have quite a nice watch there!
Or just enjoy it as is and forego the $1000+ it would take to Franken it.
I'd do the latter.