• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

42mm PO with eta 2892 vs eta 2824-2

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
42mm PO with Asian 2892 vs eta 2824-2

I've been looking around at the various versions of the Omega 42mm
Planet Ocean. Primarily the Ultimate version for quality and it's ability to use genuine parts. While the majority of the 42mm Ultimate versions I've found use a 2824-2 movement, I've found one that claims to use a 2892. Other than the movements, they all seem to be described as the exact same watch. Does anyone have any idea which would be the better movement in the 42mm PO ?
Better in terms of reliability and life span.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
The 2892 is, generally speaking, the better movement. It has better shock protection and parts and is, in base form (without modules), much thinner than the 2824-2. However, its much more expensive as well.

airking

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
26/5/09
The 2892 is, generally speaking, the better movement. It has better shock protection and parts and is, in base form (without modules), much thinner than the 2824-2. However, its much more expensive as well.

+1

also, the gen omega autos (and speedmaster chronos) are typically based on the 2892 as well. so techincally, i would be consider it 'more accurate' to use a 2892 on a rep for the po than the 2824/36. this is the first time i have heard of a omega rep using this movement. is it a trusted dealer that has them?

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
I've re-read the description and it's actually an Asian 2892, 25j 28,000, nickle plated movement.
Given that it's Asian would it be a better choice over the 2892-2 ?

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
Well, Asian for Asian, the 2892 will always be a better choice than the 2824. And in terms of "Swiss" in a rep, that's not always what it seems.

So if the price diff' is not too large, I'd go for the Asian 2892.

My question is: does that really exist? Or is it that the dealer when writing the description did a typo? 'Cause I haven't seen 2892-2 reps yet...

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
It looks as the price is in line with the Ultimate versions offered by various dealers.
298.00 with the Asian 2892, 28,000, 25j mvt, Insignia rotor.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I didnt know that there a PO version with 2892... Its more expensive than the 2824 clone, but it might worth the money or not???

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
I'm going to ask the seller about this. They seem to offer the 42mm Ultimate version with both, the Asian 2892 and the 2824-2, both nickel plated 25j with Insignia rotor.
And both list for 295.00 each.

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
I'm going to ask the seller about this. They seem to offer the 42mm Ultimate version with both, the Asian 2892 and the 2824-2, both nickel plated 25j with Insignia rotor.
And both list for 295.00 each.

If that's the case, and they have same price and everything, I'd go for the 2892... yet, it seems to me that's the first time they do offer a 2892 clone. So maybe there are issues with the movement, a sort of "prototype"...

That leaves me full of doubts... Have any of you guys heard things about Asian 2892 clones, before?

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
298 not worth it imho and isn't that a cartels watch? just stick with the 2824. either way, the gen doesn't run at 28,800bph from what I have read in these forums from time to time.

I have the 2824 sitting right in front of me, it is perfectly fine. why spend $100 more on a cartel watch. I'd buy another one of these if the price was dropped because I'm just hanging onto my extra cash. this economy we are in is the pits.

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
298 not worth it imho and isn't that a cartels watch? just stick with the 2824. either way, the gen doesn't run at 28,800bph from what I have read in these forums from time to time.

I have the 2824 sitting right in front of me, it is perfectly fine. why spend $100 more on a cartel watch. I'd buy another one of these if the price was dropped because I'm just hanging onto my extra cash. this economy we are in is the pits.

You're right, the gen's movement is 25.2kbph. But no rep has a coaxial movement with these characteristics.

Then you're looking at 28.8 or 28.8 or 28.8 or 21.6... And one notices more easily a more "jerky" hand than a smoother one, so I guess it's always better to go the high beat road, if the right beat speed isn't available.

Among the various movements beating at 28.8kbph, some are better than others... Like the genuine Rolex movement, or a genuine Patek movement... For the ETA movement, one of the best "cheap and simple" movements is the 2892-2 and its GMT modified sibling the 2893-2... Then come others like 2824, 2836 etc. They are (for the most part) available as "Swiss" or Asian clones. The clones are cheaper and more predictable as they will always be new and all Asian, relatively clean pieces. Swiss on the other hand might be a brand new ETA movement if you're very lucky, or a Asian finished Ebauche, or an old ETA refurbished but not even cleaned, and as so not very reliable...

At the lower part of the price spectrum you find the plane jane 21j, its better quality brother, the DG2813 (both at 21.6kbph) and the more recent updated version of the 2813, the 4813. Seems that at the very begining some problems existed with the latter. Problems that apparently have been ironed out. Which leaves the DG4813 a very reliable movement, which can keep very excellent time (I've got two running within COSC limits) and with a smoother seconds hand.

So in terms of movements, 2892 IS BETTER than 2824... but, yeah, that's "given a specific construction"... For example if you get a gen ETA "chronometre" 2824 (COSC certified), it's better than the lower grade "Standard" 2892 (FYI, ETA does have 4 grades for their movement: Standard, Elaboré, Top and Chronomètre). So Asian clone for Asian clone, if there are no known construction issues, 2892 is to be prefered to 2824. Particularly at the same price!

Last issue... "The Cartel"... Huuu, sounds omnious, hey? Well, they've been labelled as so for their rough commercial behaviour WRT OTHER DEALERS, which have complained. So those 2 dealers have been de-trusted here... But remain trusted on the other main rep-forums... Why? Simply because in terms of their behaviour wrt the customers, they're just like any other dealer... maybe even better. And their products are as good as any. So it's a choice regarding "Ethics" (funny word for dealers of counterfeit goods, isn't it? ;) ). Outside of that, its the same as any other dealer... personal preferences, choice and price!

As I say, there's a GOOD reason why they're not TD here... And a GOOD reason why they're TD on the other main rep forums.

Now the fact that they're the only ones carrying these DG4813 might be because the movement is crap and others don't want it (I don't believe in that for a second)... or it might well be yet another instalment of their "small war" with the other dealers. They might have secured an "exclusivity deal" on that movement to gain a competitive hedge on the competition (much more probable)... Quite legit, in my book, particularly if they don't sell these for outrageous prices, but then again that's something philosophical that could be discussed for ever ;)

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
IIRC the alleged "Asian 2892" is actually >>>

Based on a Seagull ST-25...A fine movement, but not particularly expensive, so be careful who you trust!!
I have owned several of them in Panny 090's with a power reserve module attached, ant they were $100.00 retail pieces..even with the module added!!
The "25" doesn't have a quickset date feature IIRC, so maybe the ones being offered are modified..??
Either way, I would stick with the 2824, or 2836....I seriously doubt that a "real" 2892 clone exists!!
A good way to tell, is to look at the movement and see if it has a Rolex type double anchored escapement ...if it does, it's a ST-25!!
Don't be fooled by the rotor shape...The "25" rotor looks just like a 2892 one...
Here's a ST-25:
http://www.automaticwatchreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/st25seagull.jpg

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
Pakz, I don't like cartels (personally) because when dealing with one of them (King) she was arrogant and downright rude not to mention that the watch she provided me has something that looks slightly like a small piece of rice stuck to the date wheel and she promised that the watch would have a smooth rotating bezel which it does not.

But on a lighter note, I think we should not steer people into purchasing "genuine ETA" in a rep because I read the thread about how terrible those ones are. The only way to get a good genuine ETA in your rep is to acquire a clean/new one and install it yourself in my most honest opinion. Some people are still picking them up on ebay. Of course a good one costs much more money than one provided by cartels or other dealers in the industrialized zone of China though. After all, a good one is not going to have clone parts replacing random pieces nor will it be riddled with oxidation or finger prints.

I'm not sure which 2892 the cartels are offering, gen or clone.. I have some watches that are suppose to have 2892 in them but I really would not know how to tell the difference. As long as it is high beat that is fine. If I was overly concerned with getting the best ETA available inside a watch, I'd walk over to the AD and purchase a gen Omega there.

auslander

18/2/11
I wouldnt be confident that they're using gen ETA 2892's as they're thinner than the Asia 21J and ETA 2834s. They would need to fit a spacer ring to lift the movement so that the stem aligns properly with the movement. Also, the movement ring needs to be modified. Genuine ETA 2892-A2s are ~$200 and I'm sure they'd need to factor in the 'adjustments', although with something like that I can see them cutting corners...

If you HAVE to have a 2892-A2 (other movements can be regulated to keep just as good time) I would talk to a trusted modder on the forum and have that be the last mod, as with reps the most important mods are the aesthetic ones.

Just my 2c... Have it look the part first or save that extra money and get another rep.

SmqSub

I'm Pretty Popular
29/12/10
Based on a Seagull ST-25...A fine movement, but not particularly expensive, so be careful who you trust!!
I have owned several of them in Panny 090's with a power reserve module attached, ant they were $100.00 retail pieces..even with the module added!!
The "25" doesn't have a quickset date feature IIRC, so maybe the ones being offered are modified..??
Either way, I would stick with the 2824, or 2836....I seriously doubt that a "real" 2892 clone exists!!
A good way to tell, is to look at the movement and see if it has a Rolex type double anchored escapement ...if it does, it's a ST-25!!
Don't be fooled by the rotor shape...The "25" rotor looks just like a 2892 one...
Here's a ST-25:
http://www.automaticwatchreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/st25seagull.jpg

Excellent.

Blue is the colour!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
You show me the 2892 and I will buy it. The gen dial feet on the 2892 are shorter so that would be a big advantage for me. Also if it has the 2892 the case should be a little closer to gen with regard to crystal height. If they are using the same 2824 case and crystal, I wonder where the crown will end up. I know some have done the mod with 2892 in a 2824 case but that puts the stem higher in the tube I would think.

auslander

18/2/11
You show me the 2892 and I will buy it. The gen dial feet on the 2892 are shorter so that would be a big advantage for me. Also if it has the 2892 the case should be a little closer to gen with regard to crystal height. If they are using the same 2824 case and crystal, I wonder where the crown will end up. I know some have done the mod with 2892 in a 2824 case but that puts the stem higher in the tube I would think.

Thats a good point...