• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

42mm PO seconds hand replacement

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Is this hard to do on an ETA? I just got mine and the seconds hand is all out of proportion and size so I'm going to need to replace it. A particle of dust or something needs to be cleaned off the dial anyway. I'm waiting for my dealer to send the new hand. Right now I don't have very good tools, but I could probably look around and figure something out. Most important tool to have looks like the hands removing tool..without that, the dial will get scratched.

Also I noticed, I think anyway... that all reps have the wrong size of hour and minutes hands, so I'm thinking some poeple on here may have replaced those with gen hands so maybe someone knows how difficult of a job this is.

Thanks

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
The gen hands are a direct fit on the ETA movement. Omega uses a modified ETA movement for many many of their watches and as a result, the Gen hands usually fit ETA movments.

Refer to either of the larger known parts suppliers and dig a bit.... all three hands can be sourced for under 50usd.
I've had to pop mine off and on a few times (don't ask, unrelated issue with the rep dial) and never had a problem.

Do invest in a quality hand remover/setter and of course if you don't know exactly what your doing... send the watch to one of the trusted 'smiths here.

Vacumm comes to mind... he did the gen hand install initially on my 4th gen PO along with a movement service.

I'm currently looking at the gen hands for the 45mm and sourcing a 2824-2 ETA movement for my PO lite... think that 100usd upgrade would be well worth it... have to pop a 2824-2 out of another watch and make certain it fits/aligns without issues before I go too far obviouslly.

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
Yeah I contacted Ofrei about the size of the seconds hand because their product page wasn't the most helpful, and they immediately were questioning why I needed a seconds hand. I immediately ceased communications to save business for later if that's what I eventually would decide to do, easy enough to order across the net or by phone. The gen dial is pricey for that sucker, not sure if it fits. Would be nice to find a place that services reps locally, but the majority of these horologists won't touch a rep in my area.

spekoli

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/12/06
i am thinking of doing the same mods to my 42
gen hands, relume and gen clasp.
i have seen on the bay that 42mm replacement bezels are available and the pearl looks much better than the one on my 4th gen

if i get to it before you i will let you know how easy it was.....or how badly i wrecked my watch.

if you get er done, let us know

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
amptor said:
Yeah I contacted Ofrei about the size of the seconds hand because their product page wasn't the most helpful, and they immediately were questioning why I needed a seconds hand. I immediately ceased communications to save business for later if that's what I eventually would decide to do, easy enough to order across the net or by phone. The gen dial is pricey for that sucker, not sure if it fits. Would be nice to find a place that services reps locally, but the majority of these horologists won't touch a rep in my area.

Prolly should have been a bit more specific...

I went to the Omega website. I found the Gen of my watch and made note of the Calibre and various numbers used to denote the model. I then used ofrei to track the hands i needed. I then ordered them with a few other parts and had no questions at all.

Ofrei isn't the most polite or n00b friendly parts source out there and they are *MOST DEFINATELY NOT* rep friendly. If you know exactly which movement you need the hands for, their website is pretty straight forward.

As a note.. the gen dial does indeed fit in the 4th gen 42.5mm po...
I can't speak for gen dial fit into 45mm po... Ofrei doesn't seem to carry those... so somewhat moot point.

amptor

Banned
1/5/07
Yeah I figured as much, thanks for the tip about checking what movement is in it. Will the gen bezel fit a 4th gen? Don't they usually rep the bezel different than the gen, or does it just work this time? Damn a gen bezel costs as much as a rep watch lol. I think I'll stick with the rep stuff :) I'd be more serious about modding if the He was in the right place, I thought it was when i ordered but I'm not disappointed with the looks of the watch anyway. The $25 rep bezel I see on ebay doesn't look better than what's on the 4th gen. Actually looks worse.

MURZ

Horology Curious
9/1/07
The genuine hands fit perfectlyon the ETA I have just done this at my watch smith take a look at the pics.