• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

42mm PO milled/polished, or plated?

msh441

Horology Curious
3/3/12
Generally speaking, your average $250 42mm 5th gen PO rep... Is the case milled/polished stainless, or plated/coated in some way?

Just curious about longevity of the finish.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Milled SS. I beat the heck out of mine. :)

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
yeah, pretty much all the high end reps of stainless steel gens are milled SS and look and perform/wear just like the gen.

msh441

Horology Curious
3/3/12
That's great to hear.

Until this past year, my only rep experiences have been some real cheapies I've seen on friends picked up in HK or Mexico. I was never impressed.

Shocking how good some of these are both in looks and quality now days.

Thanks for your replies.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
Even under $50 reps from our dealers come with stainless cases.

msh441

Horology Curious
3/3/12
Arrived today. I must say, I'm very pleased wih the product.

I got the orange bezel with orange numbers on an orange croc band. It's a LOT of orange... but I ordered a metal bracelet, too when I want to tone it down a bit.

Very happy with it, overall. Weight and build quality on the 42 is terrific. My only issue was a wonky clasp on the metal bracelet (which I easily fixed).

Lume is terrific out of the box (which was a nice suprise).

I can see doing a gen tube/crown (as these ones are prone to stripping from what I've heard) and possibly ATM testing. Maybe a gen HE valve, but not a necessity just yet.

Thanks for the help here at RWI. It's allways greatly appreciated.