• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

42mm 5th gen PO pumkin... Pics heavy !

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
So after having long hesitated between "da big UPO" and " the small 5th gen 42mm", I've decided to go "small" and get the 42mm

Then came the time of hesitating between Swiss ETA, Asian clone ETA or DG 4813... That one wasn't easy, yet based on my experience that supposed "Swiss" were rarely that, that Asian clones were not necessarily great and that I've always had good experiences with "21 jewels" movements (actually better experiences overall than with the more up scale movements), I've decided to go for the cheapest, the DG 4813 (if it craps out, I'll replace that with another of those cheap workhorses... )

Then came the colour problem. I wanted something that was a change, was different from my other watches, gens and reps. So the orange numbers on the dial were a given. The colour of the bezel was not as simple. I tend to prefer fairly classic, not to "show-off-ish" watches... yet, I though that the orange bezel was not too garish and a welcome change relative to what I have.

Last was the question of the "shoes". Well that one was fairly quickly solved... I'm a bracelet guy, mostly, and when I go straps it's either rubber or because it's a dress watch. That PO is anything but a dress watch, even if it's smallish size makes it wearable with a suit, and there's no rubber directly available.

So yeah, all that to say that I went for the 42mm 5th gen PO, orange bezel, orange dial numbers, on ss bracelet, powered by a genuinely Chinese DG 4813 (beating at a slightly too fast 28.8k).

- Overall impression is great. Watch case is very well finished and well repped, same for the dial, bezel, etc. Pearl is fairly convincing if a bit too recessed. (maybe some lacquer on top, or something, could really make it perfect... )
- The AR, albeit a bit too purple, is rather good, one of the best I've seen on a rep, and well on par with what can be found on many gens.
- The logo is correct, no happy feet, but a tad too close to the "OMEGA" name.
- The hands are a little bit dirty, nothing really bad, but on close inspection that is perceptible and doesn't really scream "gen"!.
- Crowns are a bit too tall (both the real one and the one for the He valve) as per the gen, but in the real it's nowhere as bad as it seems on some photos.
- Case back is great, with the seahorse having the same 3D/roundedness the gen has, and is, in the flesh, way better than what shows on most pics.
- Bracelet and clasp are good. OK, the first link has this "gap" problem, but unless you know what to look for, it's not a problem. Only real concern (but that may well be said as well of real Omega bracelet) is that resizing it is a real pain, even with adapted tools... The pins are sometimes so well set that the link comes apart before the pin agrees to move!!
-The bezel is mounted oh so very slightly off... The part at 12 being raised something like a quarter of a millimetre (or less) while at 6 it sits perfectly on the case... Not clearly visible... It took me 1 month wearing the watch constantly to notice it!

Overall, having owned 2 gen Omegas, 1 still in my drawer, and having more than a few friends having some, this watch could pass for a gen easily if said gen is not alongside.

As for the movement, well, it sweeps smoothly (too smoothly compared to the gen which beats at 25.5k) keeps great time so far -I'm on a basis of loosing 1 second a day from when I got it, 6 days ago- even if that's not a long enough time span, etc. etc. We'll see in the future how the thing goes...

Now, pictures !

pumpkin1r.jpg

pumpkin2.jpg

pumpkin3.jpg

The traditional wrist shot:
pumpkin4.jpg

And finally the no-less traditional lume shot:
pumpkin5.jpg

OK, this one is fairly poor, even if the lume really seems quite OK on this watch. Thing is, I was lazy and didn't feel like getting the tripod out, so I had to raise the ISO and have a short exposure...

So, a better lume shot:
nightpumpkin.jpg

and then two more:
First, the "classic" semi-low light shot...
pumpkinlumes.jpg

Then, in full dark:
pumpkinnight.jpg

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
OK, I'll do that...
It does indeed have the antifraud thinggy,

In order to keep you waiting... a video of the sweep of the seconds hand:

[ame]http://img684.imageshack.us/i/t1u.mp4/[/ame]

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
This is what I call a solid review of a rep. Nice write up, nice pics, and nice watch!

Thanks for sharing pakz!

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
OK, here are some more pictures!
The case back and the anti fraud logo (was already perceivable on previous photos, but, hey... )
backfb.jpg

And for a better view of the other side of those end links, another wristie...
wristie.jpg

Sorry for the grime and all on the watch, it just came of my wrist for the pics and I didn't feel like stopping to clean... ;)

This is what I call a solid review of a rep. Nice write up, nice pics, and nice watch!

Thanks for sharing pakz!

Thanks for that!
It's the pleasure of forums, sharing what one has or knows, so that others can have fun and or make better decisions...

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
So the SEL on the 5th gen looks like that? Hmmm... interesting... so would you swim with this bad boy?

Don't know...
I'm still in "honeymoon" time with it!
And having entered the rep game more than 2 years ago, I've had some reflexes ingrained in me like "never bring rep and water together, that spells disaster". I know they upped their ante on the watertightness... but I'm not that convinced yet.

Might try, however... But not tomorrow ;)

jmartop

Horology Curious
24/12/10
Exact the same thinking I am going through on the Planet Ocean... you may have made-up my mind which way I want to go. May go with the black rubber strap though. Where did your get the dg4813 version?

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
Exact the same thinking I am going through on the Planet Ocean... you may have made-up my mind which way I want to go. May go with the black rubber strap though. Where did your get the dg4813 version?

Got it from Josh, who's not a trusted dealer here, I understand... Still, I suppose many dealers can get you this baby!

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
And just for the fun of it, a macro shot of the dial... Well the depth of field being what it is at this magnification level, I'd better say of a part of the dial... ;)

pomacro.jpg

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
And just for the fun of it, a macro shot of the dial... Well the depth of field being what it is at this magnification level, I'd better say of a part of the dial... ;)

How the hell did you do that? I've never seen that before.

You should make a quick tutorial on camera settings.

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
How the hell did you do that? I've never seen that before.

It's a DSLR camera, with a 17-50/2.8 zoom, at f/2.8 and 50mm, with a close up lens on top to shorten the minimum focus distance, therefore increasing the magnification ratio and reducing the depth of field (which is already fairly small, since f/2.8 is quite open for a zoom.)

You should make a quick tutorial on camera settings.

I've seen there are quite a few tutorials on shooting watches, lighting and the like in the "eyecandy" section... I'll check, and if none cover that sort of "poor man macro shots", I'll write one...

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Mate, this is a great watch and your pics are awesome!! It's too bad you can't come to the gtg, I really hope you'll reconsider :)

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
Mate, this is a great watch and your pics are awesome!! It's too bad you can't come to the gtg, I really hope you'll reconsider :)

Thanks!

As for the GTG, it's not really a matter of reconsidering, in truth... I'll be in Beirut at this time :facepalm: