• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

42mm 5th gen PO franken questions

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Hello fellow RWI members,

Im looking to get my 5th gen 42mm PO (Asian clone, 2836-2) modified with:

1. Gen bezel
2. Gen hands
3. Gen dial
4. Gen crystal
5. ETA date Wheel
6.. Gen crown + tube

Keeping (at least I think I am):

1. Rep HE valve (I would seal this)
2. Rep casing
3. Movement

I was wondering if anyone had feedback on fitment with specifically the 5th gen (available through Lay). I've seen numerous threads, including Q5?'s recent franken by Katt and R2 and I wanted to reach out to other users who have done it on a 5th gen?

After reading Q5's thread, sounds like there were minor issues (with 4th gen) relating to bezel fitment and the crown + tube. Are these issues resolved or improved on the 5th gen?

Just wondering what kind of mess i'm getting myself into before I start spending $$$ on gen parts.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I will take the advantage as Q5 hasnt responded yet!!! lol... I will sugest not to do the bezel and instead get the crystal. Try the gen pearl from a used insert that will do it pretty good. And take the date wheel as well i have in my hands the gen and the difference is big... Wait and i am sure Q is somewhere here to tell you more!!!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
The date wheel is a must since your right there with the dial off anyway. As for the Gen bezel or Gen pearl swap......that is a tough one. I believe the rep pearl is a tad too big for a Gen pearl to work. Meaning the hole that you will have is too big for it to work. I think we need to find a new source for an aftermarket insert. I didn't want the Gen bezel because it might not turn correctly when fitted to the rep case.

I went with the Gen crystal because I didn't want to take the extra time for the AR service. I'm sure getting the AR done on the rep crystal is beautiful.

Good for you Om3ga guy for taking the Franken plunge. These are amazing watches after you clean them up and the lume is sweeeeet :thumbsup:

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Thanks for the feedback guys. Q5?, its your fault that im getting into this in the first place. Your thread "inspired" me!!!

1. I figured the date wheel would be a "must" if the watch is already in parts... I will add to the "need to swap" pile.

2. Crystal imo looks great. Doesnt bother me. I didn't feel the need to change it.

3. My pearl bothers me a bit. Its a tad to the left... I figured the easiest thing would be to change it all out. Don't know if you guys ever remember seeing this, but I recall R2 mentioning that the gen bezel would fit a 5th gen, but with a the rep click spring only. The gen click spring wouldnt work or something... (hence why i'm looking for additional feedback from people who of may already done the swap)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Defiantly contact others who have done the Gen bezel on their 5GPO. I know there are a few here and a few on RG.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
You can ask Uwe how he did it, he built a franken UPO 5th gen for Inushuk with a gen bezel,but if remember correct he had done some mods to do fit...

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
I will!

The only thing holding me back from ordering parts is the question about the bezel. I really want to know if it will fit. Note: Fitment is one thing, but the way the crystal sits against the bezel is another...

Lets see what others have to say!

Defiantly contact others who have done the Gen bezel on their 5GPO. I know there are a few here and a few on RG.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I would do the gen crystal. I know you are satisfied with what you have but honestly, it really makes a big difference. If I were you, I would do a gen pearl mod on your rep bezel. They are so close to the genuine counter part. The gen bezel retaining ring groove sits 1/2 MM lower to the rep case. It's not that noticeable IMO but the bezel will be tighter, again this doesn't bother me a bit on mine as I don't even use the bezel.

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Thanks R2. Ill throw the gen crystal on the list.

So far finding a gen PO pearl has been very difficult. I know Q5 snapped his on the bay...Ive spent 2 weeks now looking for one too.

Another thing is I don't plan on moding this watch myself. I would need to find someone who is capable of doing all this. Its one thing to swap dial, hands and etc...but the pearl mod?

Any suggestions as to who can do all this? I need to check with Katt, I don't know if he does pearl mods.