• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2836-2 movement in CrPO? Extra screw? Can any movement experts take a look?

mvyzfr1

25/11/12
As I posted in another thread, my 45mm pumpkin 8500 rep arrived with a rotor that did not turn.

I opened the caseback and removed the rotor and found a small black screw underneath. I was also surprised to see the 2836-2 marking instead of 2824 on the movement.

Can anyone that is familiar with looking at these movements tell me if this extra black screw pictured fell out of the movement somewhere or is just a screw that got accidently dropped into the movement? I don't see anywhere that it would go.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2510_zps9b341f92.jpg

IMG_2511_zps755ec8ee.jpg

IMG_2512_zps619f005b.jpg

IMG_2513_zpsfea92aee.jpg

IMG_2514_zps2df9c9c9.jpg

IMG_2515_zps60aab8a7.jpg

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I don't think the black screw belongs to that movement, it looks like an auto bridge screw but there are already 2 in there.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Those black screws are the ones that hold the autowind module to the movement. There are 2 of them. Looks like both yours are intact. I have no idea where the 3rd screw could have come from.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Some great macro pictures. You can tell that the movement has been disassembled by someone with crappy screwdrivers. Probably more than once.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Yep. Looks like it may be an old, rebuilt ETA movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvyzfr1

25/11/12
I don't doubt it. I thought it looked pretty rough right from first glance. At least its running now. Rotor is quite noisy if provoked into rapid movement, so I'll see how it goes.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
That movement is a beaten up clone, it has no idea what the mountains of switzerland look like. :)

mvyzfr1

25/11/12
This is a good example for the "Swiss" vs. Asian clone thread in the General Discussion area.

When you buy "Swiss" not only are you not getting a factory-fresh ETA, but you may be getting a beaten up Asian clone.

Craig S

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/1/10
Looking at the photos, I'm a little confused and cant really make out whether this is a clone or a gen eta. Reason being:

-Shock housing looks like what you would expect from gen movement.
-Gold and silver gears look matte, which is what you would find on gen.

However, the + - markings look similar to what you would find on a clone.

Whatever it is, it looks like it has been rebuilt from various parts? It needs a good clean for sure..

Wiz, what would you consider as the biggest tell that its a clone mate?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Looking at the photos, I'm a little confused and cant really make out whether this is a clone or a gen eta. Reason being:

I agree. Even the + - markings look better than most clones, where the + usually hangs over or right on the edge of the plate. Even the autowind gears look old but gen.

Given it's age and nickel plating, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt although the 28236-2 looks a little crappy.

I've never seen a clone that old. :lol:

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09

Whatever it is, it looks like it has been rebuilt from various parts? It needs a good clean for sure..

Wiz, what would you consider as the biggest tell that its a clone mate?

You can't say if a movement is a gen or clone from a single tell, you need to watch the whole movement and then then you can say from a combination of tells.

On this one:

- No notch on the end of the hairspring
- Wrong driving wheel
- Wrong auto bridge
- Oxydized crown wheel
- Some of the screws have some machining marks, they're not polished
- The ratchet wheel looks shinny to me, at least on most of the pics
- 2836 stamping looks like crap

If I want to stay on the safe side I'd say it's a mix of swiss and clone parts, but it's surely not 100% swiss.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I am far from a movement expert but i think Wiz is correct. Most likely this movement is a mix.

I don't think anyone is surprised though... These "swiss" movements are out there long ago...

Anyway, is the watch working now?

mvyzfr1

25/11/12
I am no expert either, but I'm sure Wiz is correct. Seems to be a "parts bin" movement. Thanks again Wiz for all your input. I've learned a lot from all your posts on movements in many threads on this forum.

It's working, I put it in the winder last night to make sure it kept ticking and have been wearing it all day.

One day I will replace the movement if I keep it (and I certainly will unless I buy a gen, really love this rep overall). I'm hoping someone figures out if this will accept a gen bezel insert so I can fix the pearl position (mine also sticks out and is crooked too).

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
That movement is a beaten up clone, it has no idea what the mountains of switzerland look like. :)

Maybe mostly Himalayan with a bit of the Alps mixed in. :D:

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I didn't actually said the movement is a mix, I said a mix would be the safe bet. :)

My feeling is that if there are swiss parts in there, it's only a few.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
There are enough differences that I'd agree with Wiz other than I still can't be totally convinced since I believe there are subtle differences in both the many years and the several factories that ETA used to build these movements in.

The harder proof is to show me a matching Asian clone.............