• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2824 or 4813

Itsameamario

Known Member
5/8/12
Short of opening up my watch is there any way of telling between these two movements?

The usual duck tape method isn't working on my PO :(

Cheers

Itsameamario

Known Member
5/8/12
No one? I believe both beat at 28800bph and kello has confirmed that the movement in question is indeed 28800bph. Any other tells?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Yes, a 21j 4813 will have the hands move 45 minutes for every turn of the crown. You will also be able to hear a ratchet sound as the rotor winds the movement.

A 28xx movement will have the hands turn 30 minutes for every crown turn and you shouldn't hear a ratchet sound when the rotor winds.

Itsameamario

Known Member
5/8/12
I really can't be bothered sending it back. I'm happy with the watch, I'd be happy with the difference being refunded. This is assuming Bonesey is correct (which I don't doubt). Quite disappointed.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
You should definitely look at the movement first. I just tried Bonesy's theory with a 2824 and a 4813 and they both seemed to turn the hands the exact same distance of about 40 - 45 minutes and, the winding was very similar although the DG from dead stop is a lilttle easier than most ETA's.

I think the DG2813 might be what he's comparing it to.

My theory is, if you can't tell the difference and don't want to open it up, why bother worrying about it.

EDIT: See my next post......Definitely I was wrong here.

Itsameamario

Known Member
5/8/12
I guess I'll ask wiz to check it when I get it relumed, waterproofed and serviced next month :(

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Hold everything, I was wrong. Don't know what I was thinking but I picked up the wrong watch when I was testing. The 4813 moves about 1 1/2 hours or more per turn, just about twice as far as the ETA. Also the winding is much less friction on the DG4813. Now, I'd say it's easy to tell the difference.

I picked up my Omega 42mm by accident instead of the Noobmariner with the DG4813. Must of been thinking about your watch.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Hold everything, I was wrong. Don't know what I was thinking but I picked up the wrong watch when I was testing. The 4813 moves about 1 1/2 hours or more per turn, just about twice as far as the ETA. Also the winding is much less friction on the DG4813. Now, I'd say it's easy to tell the difference.

I picked up my Omega 42mm by accident instead of the Noobmariner with the DG4813. Must of been thinking about your watch.

+1

Only one of my Asian ETA's is as smoorh as the DG's (Katt serviced it of course). All the othets are a bit rougher than the DG's I've wound.

Itsameamario

Known Member
5/8/12
So 45 minutes should be correct for a 2824 movement? I was also wondering about the Rotar noise mentioned previously, can you hear the ratchet on the 4813? I'm fairly sure I can't hear a ratchet, then again I don't have both movements in my possession. The caseback on this thing is too tight to remove with duct tape :/

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Yes, it's a 2824! Congrats on your new baby. Pass out cigars....... :maty:

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Yes, about 45 min per turn for the ETA,

I can't hear a rotor noise on either one of them unless I put them up to my ear and swirl them. Not too much difference between the two as far as I can tell.

Itsameamario

Known Member
5/8/12
Sweet, now to enjoy it for a month before she goes off to Wiz for a relume (I'm thinking blue?!) waterproofing and servicing :D Thanks all! I pretty much bought this watch and movement on Q5?s recomendation.