• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1:1 replica box - the review (video inside)

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
Hi there!

Because there is no detailed review of rep box set for AP around here afaik, I wrote this one. I would not expect much, I'm currently in my appartment where I study and don't have much useful stuff to take pics round here right now. Pics are taken with an iPhone.

This box can be bought at ReplicaMake. I'm sure other trusted dealers can get this box as well.

I got this from a Chinese bloke that sourced it for me, after I got to know it existed I informed Lay and asked him to upload it on his website. Shipped on the 22nd of December using Chinapost, received today (should have been yesterday if the postman wasn't too lazy to ring my bell!). No problems with customs, only had to pay €10 handling fee

Now the review,

We're talking about a rep box that has costed me $95 incl. shipment. The weight of everything together is heavy, gives a gen feel. This is my 2nd rep box (had an omega box, but sold it and bought the gen). I also had a gen Hublot box (for my Luna Rossa LE series) that I also sold. Now I bought this one out of curiosity and because I like watch box sets.

Here are some pictures (all pics are iPhonepics):

Looks like I've been to an AP Boutique
d3436bca.jpg

248c8556.jpg

The outer box-printing looks spot on, crisp printing
a31c73f8.jpg

the box is nicely covered from dust
4af3f9d8.jpg

here it is, the box:
a953e701.jpg

902bc959.jpg

11c34520.jpg

first some reading & a wristshot

68014c01.jpg

8c052ef6.jpg

the booklets are very well finished and have a high quality feel, they are heavy and full colour, I am very amazed by the finishing of it.
97bf945c.jpg

6e94b983.jpg

now back to the real stuff, printing on top is a bit too low as per gen (based upon pics) but very crisp although it's not a dial
47498e9a.jpg

nice underside huh,
b9c21960.jpg

inside:
first flaw is the logo, it's missing slogan "Le maître de l'horlogerie depuis 1875" under the logo but the printing is very crisp.

the pillow sits a bit too loose, but that does not bother me at all, the leather is also very well replicated
e8cb2abe.jpg

d33d2905.jpg

bb0d9808.jpg

closing&opening button functions well and looks well repped
9e8f238e.jpg

e271f771.jpg

8e58f46f.jpg

other flaw: the border around the part where the creamy leather is should have a wooden structure, this one hasn't, it's matte
de741ffe.jpg

ffc48d34.jpg

I guess you guys have seen the whole box by now :)

1b6e5943.jpg

And a video for the interested ones (2min15, quite long for a box...):

I'm really glad I bought this box, it feels of good quality and looks just as good, it has it's flaws just like our watches, but imo the flaws are subtle.

I should be getting a gen box soon if everything goes well, I will compare them then. :machine:

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
A different approach of the rep world :)
I own the same and agree on the quality of both the box and booklet. I find the outer carton however so so, as on most replica boxes.
I am a box fan, and I believe that 2 out of 10 are really good, the rest being usually rubbish or having defects.

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
That is some very nice box & papers, surprised that got repped.

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
Wow, that is one hell of a box!!! Is it real wood though or is it a print on?

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
I think they used veneer, I won't drill in it so I have no clue... You have an idea Pix?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Probably veneer, I don't expect a box made of massive wood to be that "light".

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
no AP ... just an UPO .. :)

BTW I wait for the sameone... so cool to see this review.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
While we're on the subject of boxes, anyone know how close the rep Omega red boxsets are to gen? I have an incoming gen SMP in a tatty box and don't want to waste my dough if they're not 99% close...

AP box looks nice by the way...;)

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
sconehead, I've bought the Omega box set before, you're better off with a gen set, I'll send you a link of a gen set by PM, buy that one.

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Awesome review, Edge! thank you for taking the time!

reppts4u :D

cdot

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/12/10
Just a heads up to everyone, gen box does NOT have any other silver writing on the inside. The rep is correct 1:1 in that regard.

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
438125144_o.jpg
It does have the writing inside. :thinking:

yes and there should be a picture of it in my review, however there is missing 1 line "le maitre d'horlogerie depuis ...." is not printed in it.

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Hey edge,

I just checked Josh's site and his box has the extra writing:

Is this a gen pic?
4.jpg

cdot

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/12/10
S8.jpg

That is a genuine example. No writing. Maybe there are years in which it had the writing.
Either way, it is accurate to some gen boxes =)

The gen rubberclad on my wrist and box in front of me says its accurate.

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
great find cdot!

I have more incentive to buy the rep box now :D