• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I've handled one, and it's way better than say, a VSF - it just feels 'right'.

That's a very good way of putting it. In any replica you will always find something, which of course you can live with. Maybe the crystal could be better, maybe the insert numerals aren't bright enough in certain light conditions, maybe somehow it feels gritty when winding. You always are thinking about "what upgrade is next". With the Ginault this is just over. The moment you put it on, you know it's an absolute workhorse.

(that comes from a guy that has changed the hands, relumed them, changed the insert, and replaced the crystal with a genuine Rolex... to be replaced later with a flat Clark's to get rid of the cyclops, haha).

And on the MKII... well, yes I'd love to grab one but you are right, they seem to be made of unobtanium mate, as you can't find any even second hand. I have a love hate relationship with their Key West:

keywest_side.jpg

Still, it's not 100% a Rolex GMT. And honestly, one of the things I really like from Ginault too is that they throw everything in and don't hold off when homaging the Submariner. Nothing like "we have a different crystal", "yes but our lugs are slightly different", "it's our personal reinterpretation". Bollocks. They do an exact copy of a 16610, put a set of sword hands (incredibly finished btw) and call it a day, haha.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming!

I'm curious how the movement on the Ginault feels compared to a rep when you wind it, for example.

Maybe buying a VSF and getting it serviced makes more sense?

Didn't see that. The crown screws and unscrews as smooth as my Tudor (genuine). And the winding is smooth as silk and silent as a grave ^_^

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Indeed. And to this day I am still yet to see a replica with the level of reliability and finishing of the Ginault.

No offense, but if you cannot see the differences is because you are not looking properly or you still don't know where to look.

Case
The case in the Ginault is just flawless. The only difference between a Ginault's case and a 16610 case is that the latter has Rolex engravings between the lugs, just that. The lug size is exactly the same (that slim end of the lug that is so difficult to get right, people like lawlessflyer know what I'm talking about). The beveled chamfers on the side, almost imperceptible but they are there (as opposed to the massive chamfers on other replicas), and of course the inside part of the case. It has the proper grooves on the inner case where the movement goes in, which actually doesn't keep attached with movement tabs but with the two screws that get it stuck to the case when you unscrew them. Even these screws have the same size and form as the original ones in a 16610 movement (not the normal screws you would have in some recent replicas that use this same system). Same goes for the crown guards, bezel, insert, etc. They are just exactly as the genuine. Right now there is not a single replica that gets the case as close as the genuine as the Ginault.

Bracelet
Again, miles above any other replica bracelet. In this case they replicate the 6-digit bracelet with the Glidelock system. The finishing, again, is just flawless, they even got the tiny edges polished as the genuine ones, which makes it more blingy (and of course, that's what we are here for, right?!). And again, what you don't see is also there, the holes where the screws go have all of them a steel sheath so the screw never actually touches the bracelet (thus preventing erosion on the screw holes of the bracelet). Again, this is exactly how the genuine is made. And their Glidelock has really tight tolerances, and really smooth.

Movement
Yeah, you can say whatever but it's way better than the stock Chinese movement you have on a replica. Remember that even Chinese movements have grades, and I can 100% tell you that what you get on a replica is not a proper Seagull or Peacock movement. I actually swapped the A2836 I had on my ZZF v2s with a genuine Seagull ST2100 and it's amazing. Same could be said about the Ginault 2824 clone. Mine has kept COSC timing after two years (going +2s/d usually), and you guys can say whatever but I don't believe any regular A2824/36 or 3135 clone can keep that precision over a long time span. The 2824 clone inside a Ginault is basically the equivalent of a Top Grade ETA 2824 (well at least it behaves the same as the Chronometer Grade ETA 2824 I have on my genuine Tudor). And if you aren't happy with that you can order it with a Top Grade Sellita SW200-1 that will come really well adjusted from them (good luck getting your TD to send you an adjusted caliber).
w.

I Can't talk about the finish of the watch so I'll have to take your word on it however you are so off on the movement part of the ginault....
It's a Asian ETA 2824 movement. The shock absorber is Chinese. They put blue screws and a Swiss grade mainspring on top of a Chinese ETA clone and call it their own in house movement. Open your Caseback and look at the terrible finishing of the movement. It's going to perform just as well as an Asian clone you get from a TD once you service it and put a Swiss mainspring lol.

So yes it's a very over priced watch at 1500usd when you don't fall for their smoke and mirrors sale pitch. I would much rather put 1500usd towards a Grand Sieko.

Reactions: lacquered333

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I Can't talk about the finish of the watch so I'll have to take your word on it however you are so off on the movement part of the ginault....
It's a Asian ETA 2824 movement. The shock absorber is Chinese. They put blue screws and a Swiss grade mainspring on top of a Chinese ETA clone and call it their own in house movement. Open your Caseback and look at the terrible finishing of the movement. It's going to perform just as well as an Asian clone you get from a TD once you service it and put a Swiss mainspring lol.

So yes it's a very over priced watch at 1500usd when you don't fall for their smoke and mirrors sale pitch. I would much rather put 1500usd towards a Grand Sieko.

I don't want to start a discussion about that, as it's a horse that has been beaten long enough on gen forums. The general consensus is that it is indeed a very good movement, but you always have some individual saying exactly what you say, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I have some minor knowledge about movements and I know for a fact that the finishing of that movement is miles above any regular chinese clone you would get on a replica. Yes, the shock absorber is Chinese, so what? I am sure you are aware that China has a massive industry and you can buy from the lowest quality parts to the highest standards, it all depends on how much do you want to spend.

Oh, and good luck getting a Grand Seiko for $1,500, lol. Are you for real?!

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
https://calibercorner.com/ginault-caliber-7275/

Also, bear in mind that the movement comes essentially serviced and adjusted. So the equivalent on the rep world would be to swap the crappy A2824 for a Seagull ST2100, and have it serviced and adjusted. Now look at the bill and you'll see it's a bit more, actually.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
I have some minor knowledge about movements and I know for a fact that the finishing of that movement is miles above any regular chinese clone you would get on a replica. /QUOTE]

If you have minor knowledge of movements then why are you speaking on the movement? I mean you can always tag a movement expert like mikesped and see what he thinks.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I have some minor knowledge about movements and I know for a fact that the finishing of that movement is miles above any regular chinese clone you would get on a replica. /QUOTE]

If you have minor knowledge of movements then why are you speaking on the movement? I mean you can always tag a movement expert like mikesped and see what he thinks.

Ok, allow me to rephrase it: I can perform works on ETA 2824/36 myself like changing parts, resetting the keyless works (what a bitch), change hands, change datewheels, swap dials and crystals and perform minor works on bracelets. I call that minor knowledge indeed, but it's enough to recognise a good movement when I see it. There are plenty of knowledgeable people all over genuine forums that praise the Ginault movement too.

On the other hand, there are just a few guys that bash that movement. Sadly, most of them couldn't tell the difference between any of the grades of an ETA 2824, and they seem to repeat the same unsubstantial and meaningless mantras.

The end of the story is that these movements are really well made (for what they are), come fully serviced and really well adjusted. I am not hoping you will understand, but the OP was asking a honest opinion based on experience and I am giving mine.

Last edited:

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Ok, allow me to rephrase it: I can perform works on ETA 2824/36 myself like changing parts, resetting the keyless works (what a bitch), change hands, change datewheels, swap dials and crystals and perform minor works on bracelets. I call that minor knowledge indeed, but it's enough to recognise a good movement when I see it. There are plenty of knowledgeable people all over genuine forums that praise the Ginault movement too.

On the other hand, there are just a few guys that bash that movement. Sadly, most of them couldn't tell the difference between any of the grades of an ETA 2824, and they seem to repeat the same unsubstantial and meaningless mantras.

The end of the story is that these movements are really well made (for what they are), come fully serviced and really well adjusted. I am not hoping you will understand, but the OP was asking a honest opinion based on experience and I am giving mine.

Who praises the ginault movement? Tag one of the many watch Smith's here and ask them if it's a high grade movement. I can put a Swiss mainspring in a Asian clone get the movement serviced and it will run the exact same. Except it won't cost me 1500usd....
Btw the Ginault when it first came out offered almost 60% off if you made a 500 word review about the watch with a video attached. That kind of discount from list price on the 1st week reminds me of Invicta. Nothing screams quality like a 60% discount. Like I said, it's a very over priced watch...
Look at that spectacular finishing! Come on man

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I am afraid you really don't know what are you talking about. All that nonsense doesn't make any sense. So far, your reasons to say it's overpriced are:

1. It has a Chinese shock absorber. Which doesn't mean anything, as you can source really good shock absorbers from China (as many genuine mid-level watches do). And doesn't take into account that the rest of the movement is made with very decent quality, way better than the movements inside replicas.
2. People received a discount when it was launched, around 4 years ago. What does that have to do with the quality of their movement?
3. The movement isn't well finished. Which actually it is, as you can see if you compare it to a genuine Top Grade ETA 2824-2. What do you expect? Geneve Seal level?

ETA 2824-2 TOP GRADE Swiss Made Automatic Watch Movement NEW & ORIGINAL #ETA

We get it, you don't like Ginaults, grab a beer and join the club...

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Indeed. And to this day I am still yet to see a replica with the level of reliability and finishing of the Ginault.

No offense, but if you cannot see the differences is because you are not looking properly or you still don't know where to look.

Case
The case in the Ginault is just flawless. The only difference between a Ginault's case and a 16610 case is that the latter has Rolex engravings between the lugs, just that. The lug size is exactly the same (that slim end of the lug that is so difficult to get right, people like lawlessflyer know what I'm talking about). The beveled chamfers on the side, almost imperceptible but they are there (as opposed to the massive chamfers on other replicas), and of course the inside part of the case. It has the proper grooves on the inner case where the movement goes in, which actually doesn't keep attached with movement tabs but with the two screws that get it stuck to the case when you unscrew them. Even these screws have the same size and form as the original ones in a 16610 movement (not the normal screws you would have in some recent replicas that use this same system). Same goes for the crown guards, bezel, insert, etc. They are just exactly as the genuine. Right now there is not a single replica that gets the case as close as the genuine as the Ginault.

Bracelet
Again, miles above any other replica bracelet. In this case they replicate the 6-digit bracelet with the Glidelock system. The finishing, again, is just flawless, they even got the tiny edges polished as the genuine ones, which makes it more blingy (and of course, that's what we are here for, right?!). And again, what you don't see is also there, the holes where the screws go have all of them a steel sheath so the screw never actually touches the bracelet (thus preventing erosion on the screw holes of the bracelet). Again, this is exactly how the genuine is made. And their Glidelock has really tight tolerances, and really smooth.

Movement
Yeah, you can say whatever but it's way better than the stock Chinese movement you have on a replica. Remember that even Chinese movements have grades, and I can 100% tell you that what you get on a replica is not a proper Seagull or Peacock movement. I actually swapped the A2836 I had on my ZZF v2s with a genuine Seagull ST2100 and it's amazing. Same could be said about the Ginault 2824 clone. Mine has kept COSC timing after two years (going +2s/d usually), and you guys can say whatever but I don't believe any regular A2824/36 or 3135 clone can keep that precision over a long time span. The 2824 clone inside a Ginault is basically the equivalent of a Top Grade ETA 2824 (well at least it behaves the same as the Chronometer Grade ETA 2824 I have on my genuine Tudor). And if you aren't happy with that you can order it with a Top Grade Sellita SW200-1 that will come really well adjusted from them (good luck getting your TD to send you an adjusted caliber).

Dial, hands, all that. Well, it's a TC after all, right? I'm sure everyone knows at this stage that these kensington dials are at the same level as a genuine Rolex one. It's just deep glossy black, really well polished markers, etc. And now onto the price...

...well, that's where 2nd hand market comes in. Or just being lucky. Or just being early. I bought mine for less than $800. That's $300 more than a top level Submariner replica, I get it. It all depends on how much do you value all these little details. I probably wouldn't pay the $1500 retail cost (or maybe I would if they re-released their original 180165C1LN with the normal 5-digit dial instead of the maxi dial, but you never know).

Now I know we all have great photos of all kinds of watches and maybe they don't say anything about the watch, once you are looking into that level of detail. But just tossing Ginault aside as "it's overpriced and my rep is better" is not the wisest move. Here are some photos in case you want to check it out (both with mercedes hands for a transitional 16800 look and sword hands, for a more milsub look, and also with the original blue/gold insert, and a more traditional black insert):

In the end, it's your money. But I don't think the Ginault is overpriced. It's at the same level or better than many genuine (overpriced) Tag Heuers, Longines, Tissot, Breitling and IWC, just to name a few.

You have a very nice OR date sub! ...and a very good model of it....

Let me explain.

The Ocean Rovers are great I'll agree with everything that was mentioned, cases are nice bezels are great (accepts gen insert) and teeth are good. Lugs are awesome crown guards amazing! And the list goes on and on (except if) you get the guilt Dial version...... Then I'll have to take (almost everything back) lol

The main problem was the oversized chamfers & the Horrible Top lug shape...

Here have a look at these oversized chamfers

If this isn't bad enough they are cut very horrible unevenly...
Also want to point out on the inner lug flanks they were (flattened) as though... this was on both sides of the case consistenc..

Unfortunately, this had to have been all corrected and made the Ginault case a work as though messing with a "Rep case" when I was all excited about owning a Ginault cased franken 16610 submariner I was currently building....

If that's not bad enough let's look at these lugs

Although I've corrected this best I could and my ability I still was very surprised to see such on ginaults.. not sure if all the guilt dial versions are such please chime in anyone who owns one of these.

The lugs definitely needed a slim job as well they were also a bit too wide for the 16610 franken build I was working on.

Well that's my rant lol

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
And on the MKII... well, yes I'd love to grab one but you are right, they seem to be made of unobtanium mate, as you can't find any even second hand. I have a love hate relationship with their Key West:
keywest_side.jpg

Love that MKII. Homage to Pan-Am but with an updated look that’s sharp as heck. Can you get a white dial with gold bordered markers?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here have a look at these oversized chamfers [/SIZE]
ZfPsZn.jpg

If this isn't bad enough they are cut very horrible unevenly...
ZfPuI3.jpg

Also want to point out on the inner lug flanks they were (flattened) as though... this was on both sides of the case consistenc..
ZfP7xY.jpg

Unfortunately, this had to have been all corrected and made the Ginault case a work as though messing with a "Rep case" when I was all excited about owning a Ginault cased franken 16610 submariner I was currently building....

If that's not bad enough let's look at these lugs

ZfPwn2.jpg

Although I've corrected this best I could and my ability I still was very surprised to see such on ginaults.. not sure if all the guilt dial versions are such please chime in anyone who owns one of these.
ZfP4sE.jpg

The lugs definitely needed a slim job as well they were also a bit too wide for the 16610 franken build I was working on.

Well that's my rant lol

Wow that's a bad sample for sure bro. The one I put a Rolex Sub dial and hands in did not exhibit any of those flaws, though I did see a used one for sale with the crushed inner flanks. Wonder what's up with that.

fgvQE.jpg

Last edited:

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
Thanks for all the input. I'm still not scared off by the negative things that have been said.

I think I'll go with the "Glowing Smurfs" lume over the Gold Sand lume, although pics of the Gold Sand make me second guess my choice....

I think I'll go with the black bezel. I'm temped by blue since I've already got a few black bezel watches. With black I know what I'm getting, the blue even looking at the pics Ginault has sent me and online I just fear it might not be the same when I look at it on my wrist. I don't trust picking colors with a pic, only in person.

The only movement they offer now is the "Sellita SW200-1, Elabore Grade, 5 positions 6-week regulated". I gues there used to be a choice between that and an ETA 2824-2.

So I guess the only reason I'm not pulling the trigger right now is I'm still tempted by the blue bezel...

Pics I am posting are what Ginault emailed me.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I have a Ginault ORII

Biggest thing, I love sword hands, narrow case lugs, ceramic bezels. I’ll never sell mine.

#2 It saves me from having to bother looking for a TC
When I see a TC WTB, I get to laugh and move on, as far as I’m concerned, I’ve got mine, hunt over.

#3 As much as I love reps, and generally don’t worry about “being called out” There are times/situations it is nice to throw on the Ginault, (homage) enjoy a submariner feel, and not worry, go on with my day.
It will be a watch I feel more comfortable passing down to my kids than my typical reps.

#3 To the original question, and I am not particular on details, or picky, or anywhere near an expert, but on “feel” It is better than my BP SD, Noob SD4K, Noob YM, Batman, Any other cheap homage I’ve had.

Is it better than my ARF SD43? Close call. Both bracelets are awesome, the best I’ve had. Dials and bezels seem similar in quality, crystal on the ginault seems better, really tough to say. Movement feels better on the ginault.

This would leave the ORII a bit overpriced in my book. But I don’t care, nobody else makes a watch like a ginault.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
I have a Ginault ORII

Biggest thing, I love sword hands, narrow case lugs, ceramic bezels. I’ll never sell mine.

#2 It saves me from having to bother looking for a TC
When I see a TC WTB, I get to laugh and move on, as far as I’m concerned, I’ve got mine, hunt over.

#3 As much as I love reps, and generally don’t worry about “being called out” There are times/situations it is nice to throw on the Ginault, (homage) enjoy a submariner feel, and not worry, go on with my day.
It will be a watch I feel more comfortable passing down to my kids than my typical reps.

#3 To the original question, and I am not particular on details, or picky, or anywhere near an expert, but on “feel” It is better than my BP SD, Noob SD4K, Noob YM, Batman, Any other cheap homage I’ve had.

Is it better than my ARF SD43? Close call. Both bracelets are awesome, the best I’ve had. Dials and bezels seem similar in quality, crystal on the ginault seems better, really tough to say. Movement feels better on the ginault.

This would leave the ORII a bit overpriced in my book. But I don’t care, nobody else makes a watch like a ginault.

+1

Ginault is a fantastic watch but to call it superior to my VSF is jut not the case

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I always wonder if Ginault will go the same way as Marina Militare in that one day it may no longer be allowed for sale on other forums /the bay.
(surprised it hasn’t happened already)

The only option then would be new or owners who find these forums to sell on. Grab one while you can.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
+1

Ginault is a fantastic watch but to call it superior to my VSF is jut not the case

I would take a Selitta SW200 Elabore over the VS3235 in a heartbeat. Plus the Ginault cyclops on the one I worked on was distortion free. VSF are nice to be sure but it's still a cheap Chinese fake rep. TC has years of refinement on them. Except for some occasional bad samples I've seen, Ginault is nearly as good as a gen Rolex IMO, many of which don't cost much more to make.

VSF cyclops edge distortion
Zsou23.jpg

ZTjY11.jpg

My fun time with a VSF 126610

Post 16

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...68#post9859568

This is not a VSF bashing, I like mine fine, maybe a little more now since it made me learn how to service a 3235. And yes of course there can be one-off bad samples in any batches. But while I certainly appreciate it for what it is, I don't put it in the same league as a Ginault. If you get to handle a good one you won't soon forget how great it is.

Last edited: