• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Getting mods prior to purchase

aneki

31/7/08
I know some of you send your watches away for mods to this and that modder, but are there any dealers that provide modification services as part of a purchase, say luming and proper AR? I'm not really keen on the idea of sending a watch all over the world over and over, taking more risks than one should. I mean they should have some proper watchsmiths down there in GZ, but do anyone really offer the service?

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
I know some of you send your watches away for mods to this and that modder, but are there any dealers that provide modification services as part of a purchase, say luming and proper AR? I'm not really keen on the idea of sending a watch all over the world over and over, taking more risks than one should. I mean they should have some proper watchsmiths down there in GZ, but do anyone really offer the service?

I know some dealers offer it, but who knows if they actually do it? Not worth the risk, IMO. For example, how would you know they waterproofed it until you went swimming and it leaked or didn't leak? What happens if they didn't lume the dial, but said they did and you paid for it? Risky.

niekieno

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/9/09
Great questions asked!

So, can anyone answer and share experiences por favor?

aneki

31/7/08
I know the waterproofing is kind of hit and miss, but luming or good AR can be seen with the naked eye if it's shit or not.

LegendofSpeed

4/5/06
Never pay for waterproofing..... it has been shown by and large that it doesn't happen and you've paid for nothing...

As for luming and other mods.... dealers are generally not in the business of customization... they are in the business in shipping finished goods... modding would just create bigger issues...

There are more boutique type dealers such as bklm1234 or DSN that offer a bit more... but those are only for Rolex and Panerai respectively....

Never pay for waterproofing..... it has been shown by and large that it doesn't happen and you've paid for nothing...

As for luming and other mods.... dealers are generally not in the business of customization... they are in the business in shipping finished goods... modding would just create bigger issues...

There are more boutique type dealers such as bklm1234 or DSN that offer a bit more... but those are only for Rolex and Panerai respectively....

avenger007

Advisor
21/2/09
Such good advice, LoS had to write it twice!

+1 on the builders. If you are looking for waterproofing or luming, mod after purchase or have a builder build you a piece.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
I bought the extra superlume service once from one of our dealers and it sucked big time. The thing looked like it had been lumed by a blindfolded monkey with parkinson's desease and wearing boxing gloves. Nothing beats a real pro for modifications.