• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tag Heuer SLR chrono for Mercedes review.

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
Ok--here it is: my review for my new Tag SLR, from my Xmas order from Eurotimez.

IMG_4904.jpg

(I'll also be posting a review for the AP ROO Rueben Barrichello shortly as well--it will be tomorrow before I can do the IWC Cousteau and AP quartz, as I'm too swamped lately.)

I've always been partial to Rolex (and perhaps a bit of Omega, as well) and haven't really strayed much from that over the years, either in rep or gen. Long story short, I decided to make a Christmas order and indulge in a little something else. Those who have followed my reviews over the years will know I've tried a few Panerais as well, but quite frankly, they're a little boring and all look the same. :)

Anyway, down to cases.

The Tag SLR chronograph wears almost the width of the DSSD, but with a seemingly slightly less thick profile. I must admit, since falling in love with the cerachrom on the DSSD, I absolutely love the look & feel of ceramic; to be honest, it makes the old-school metal bezel inserts on Subs and the like seem a bit tired and old. I guess I'll quit the blabbering now and proceed to pictures. These were (except for the lume shot) all shot in natural light, to get the truest-to-form look.

IMG_4928.jpg

The watch itself feels quite sturdy & heavy in the hand, which is nice and the band's links seem nice & snug, as well. I also like the fact that the case has the inner bezel-ring control at 9 o'clock, directly accross from the crown:

IMG_4900.jpg

A close-up of the bezel-ring control:

IMG_4914.jpg

The non-tradition looking chrono-pushers that contour the case are also a nice touch. It seems the styling of this piece (intentional or not) almost mimics the shape & folds to the new Mercedes coupes as well:

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

The ceramic bezel is also nice in the fact that the top surface is unpolished, unlike Rolex's GMT, DSSD, Hublots, etc.

IMG_4920.jpg

A few quick shots of the time-set crown and inner bezel-ring crown:

IMG_4940.jpg

IMG_4941.jpg

A close-up of the crown's detailed engraving:

IMG_4907.jpg

The dial is nicely detailed as well--I was afraid it might look a bit too "busy", but it actually does blend together nicely. On a side note: the inner bezel-ring and and dial markers aren't misaligned, they merely appear off in some of the shots because the ring was turned during shooting--rest assured every lines up perfectly on this model.

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

As mentioned, the band's links are nicely done and well-constructed; brushed on the tops, and polished on the sides. The shape and construction of this particular band is a bit unorthodox to anything else I've seen and I don't even think any other Tag has one quite like this, although I could be mistaken.

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

The clasp opens and closes securely as well. I was worries that it may have a few problems like the SMP chrono's clasps are known for, but this one seems as tight & well-fitted as any of the PAM bracelets I've had with similar joiners.

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

The bracelet pins are just that: pins. Some appear to have heads like screws, but they do push out, rather than unscrewing. The band's links are marked as to which way to push, as well.

IMG_4932.jpg

The case-back is also done well--neatly engraved and secured to the case with six screws--three at six o'clock and another three at twelve.

IMG_4912.jpg

The lume was also surprisingly good for a rep--bright as first, peaks quick and dies off a bit faster than superluminova, but it in pitch-black it's still readable hours later.

IMG_5035.jpg

All chrono-hands reset perfectly as they should, and the seconds subdial sweep on this model is as smooth as glass, and I even love the 6 o'clock calendar.

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

So, if like me you're looking to get away from Rolex and think outside the overly-proverbial "box", look no further. I am beyond satisfied with this piece, and between this and my '06 Cousteau, they have singlehandedly replaced my DSSD for the most wrist-time this holiday season.

I hope you enjoyed this review. Happy New Year!!!

IMG_4900.jpg

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
Good lord...I just noticed all my typos & unchecked grammar... oh well--I have been drinking since 11 AM. :)

mishka

Known Member
14/11/06
Great Review and beautiful watch... you've just made my next choice of rep more complicated.

Seriously, great pics...I dig the band.

All the best
Mish

Spiccato

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
Great watch, Gio.
If you follow the progression of Heuer chronos from the Carrera through until Heuer went to sleep
it would follow that this SLR design is a proper successor to the Autavia, Montreal, and Camaro.
Cheers....

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
wow where have i been that i did not see this review?

absolutely awesome review mate and the pictures are fantastic! makes me want to rush out and buy one right away!

TBH i've always liked the look of this watch but sadly other reps have taken priority over it. I wouldn't be surprised tho if there is a sudden spike in the number of people who buy this rep after reading your review and looking at all those juicy pics.

great job & well done :)