• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best SMP? Advice Wanted!

sfr

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/10/09
So, I’m considering getting a SMP after seeing some beautiful pics on the forum – I’m interested in the blue dial, SS bracelet with date window (non-chrono version), automatic. I know the gen has had numerous updates over the years but I haven’t been able to find much in the way of a consolidated review of SMP rep on the forum (and if I’ve missed it, I’d really appreciate if someone can point me to where I should be looking!). What I’d love to know is:
· Are there multiple versions out there?
· Which ones should I avoid (and for what reason)
· Which one(s) is truest to the gen (e.g. is there one out there with recessed pearl like the gen?)
· Recommended dealers who specialize in SMP?
Thanks in advance for your input!

takeo

12/9/09
Best SMPs I have seen (I'm guessing you want the "Bond" SMP) are from fakemaster and wackobirdkeeper. You can't go wrong with them.

aganthorp

6/6/09
+1
I have an SMP rep from WBK and a PO from fakemaster and both are excellent quality pieces.

sfr

13/10/09
Thanks all - have sent a PM to Fakemaster, will wait to hear from him.

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
You won't be disappointed with Fakey's work. Unless of course that fall has totally buggered his watchmaking skills. ;)

I have 3 Fakey pieces and 1 on the way for Christmas. Love 'em all!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
How about wrong He Valve position on some piece? Wrong Datefont? Wrong crown shape? Even the pearl is not perfect.

@sfr: what you are looking for is the Seamaster from closed factory. This was discontinued a long time ago.

Currently none of the dealers have this good Seamaster replica anymore.

I am going to stand by my usual argument (exactly for this model in particular) that you should save up and buy the genuine. The preowned SMP in good condition should cost you 700USD.

You start with WBK/Fakey piece, you gonna end up in the thousand mark if you start modding them. For a start, the case is already not a good copy.

takeo

12/9/09
True, it has its flaws, but like everyone says... "it's a rep" Don't buy it to mod it, just wear it and enjoy it.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Yes, it is a rep but the OP is asking about the best SMP. I believe he is gonna be disappointed after knowing all the flaws in details. I have been in that position many times and the desire is simply too overwhelming.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
I bought the rep and then did some research and bought a gen. I posted a comparison somewhere, probably in the Omega section if I remember correctly.

The SMP rep is actually not bad, but not as close to the gen as other reps out there... However, I do believe that for about 100 bucks it's a lot of bang for your bucks!

Taka, show me where I can get a good auto SMP for 700 bucks and I'll be all over it like a rash!!!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Please check the eyecandy of our member, he just bought that watch for 700USD.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Some of us has no access to that forum, would be much appreciated if you can just post screenshot or quoted post.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Here's one I'm thinking about getting. I need to do a little more research on SMPs but it seems like a good one for a reasonably low price.

http://www.replica-watch-guide.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3200&hl=

I don't know if she's a trusted dealer on this site, but she's highly recommended on that one.

Mods: Feel free to delete this if it's out of line. Just trying to help!

+1

I was going to mention that one too but also didn't know if it was okay (many members here are also over there).

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
MOVEMENT: Asian ETA Movement 2824-2 25J Automatic
CASE DIAMETER: 41mm
THICKNESS: 13mm
DIAL COLOR: Blue Dial with Wave Motif
CASE MATERIAL: Stainless Steel 316L
BRACELET: Stainless Steel 316L Double Deployant Bracelet
FRONT GLASS: Sapphire
BACK GLASS: Solid Engraved Case Back
BEZEL: Uni-directional Bezel Anti-clockwise
CLASP TYPE: Double Deployant Clasp
DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 position

The price is $176.?Free for shipping by normal airmail?

If you are interested in this watch or want to order it, please email me: [email protected]

If you are interested in any other watches, Pls contact me and send me some pics,and I will try my best to get it for you!

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Will the crystal has "bottle effect" if viewed from the side? I think it may have on this watch. I owned the 007 edition previously.

Anyway, the rehaut and the pearl will be instant tell on this watch.

Again... 176 vs 700 for genuine, I will still think it carefully and may as well go for the genuine watch.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I don't know enough about the gen rehaut to tell the difference but I agree on the pearl. Omegas are just like Submariners, nobody gets the pearl right.

takeo

12/9/09
The He valve position looks good on that one. Not a bad piece either.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
On top of the flaws I have mentioned, you have to bear with poor lume with wrong colour of too green, Seanaster on the dial. I have yet to see a rep Omega with really good m either on the clasp or on the dial. Please check my references pictures on Omega Section/Eyecandy about this flaw.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
On top of the flaws I have mentioned, you have to bear with poor lume with wrong colour of too green, Seanaster on the dial. I have yet to see a rep Omega with really good m either on the clasp or on the dial. Please check my references pictures on Omega Section/Eyecandy about this flaw.

The green was the first thing I mentioned when I saw it. There was some discussion on the other forum about whether or not the picture's colors were just over saturated. Kincaid took one of the pictures and toned down the saturation just a bit and it looked much better.
Mary has been asked to post a better picture of the lume and of the dial. We'll see if she does it.