• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My latest acquisitions UPO and PO (pictorial review)

markotu

5/7/09
Warning: 14 photos below. Let them load.

Hello. Just wanted to share my latest additions to my collection that is slowly growing. When I joined the forum a couple of months ago, somebody said to me this hobby will be more expensive than crack cocaine... He was right...

My latest acquisitions are 2 Omegas. Maybe I'm crazy, but I bought 2 Planet Oceans, black and orange. The one with black bezel is so called "ultimate" version which I bought from Precious Time. And the orange one is a cheaper 21J which I bought from Narikaa. Originally I got them both with stainless steel bracelets, but then I bought a rubber strap for UPO and leather strap for 21J. Bought both straps from Narikaa.

Both watches keep good time. As you would expect the ultimate is a bit more accurate. Also 21J movement is louder. Now don't get this wrong. Normally you can't hear it, but when I was alone in the room and everything was quiet I was able to hear it ticking to about 2 meters distance. Just barely, but still. With normal daily noises you can't hear it, so that's not a big concern, just something I noticed.

Both watches weight about the same. About 210g with SS bracelet. 21J is slightly lighter, maybe 5-10g.

I wanted to share a little pictorial review here for the people who have not yet decided which one to buy. I did a photo shoot with the watches side by side so you can nicely see the differences.

First I must say that when you look at the watches from a distance greater than 30cm (1 feet) it's pretty hard to see any differences. And when you wear the watch normally I'm pretty sure 99% of the people will not see the difference. Except in the color, of course. Doh!

I just happen to like photography and watches and I think those two hobbies go nice together.

OK, here we go. Ultimate is black with rubber, 21J is orange with leather strap.

Below we have them side by side. No real difference visible from this distance (which is shot from about 20cm).
10383006.jpg

A closer look. You can see the 21J has a blue-ish glow or whatever you call it in the crystal. I guess that is because of different AR coating. Also, take a look at the pearl and triangle around it.
57257137.jpg

Put crowns side by side, you can see the ultimate has a smaller crown.
84802148.jpg

Crowns from different angle. You can also see how bezel is different here. And man, I didn't know I had so much dirt on the watch until I saw the photos.
77949817.jpg

Look at the bezels.
84526710.jpg

The sea monster on the back is different too.
35480065.jpg

Minute hand is longer on UPO.
52797497.jpg

No big difference here.
77766166.jpg

Date font is brighter on my UPO and is easier to read is certain lighting conditions.
89350543.jpg

You can see different fonts here.
97681820.jpg

UPO has a serial number engraved on the back. 21J has a scratch. OK, I did the scratch when I was removing the bracelet.
59261066.jpg

Bracelets look almost identical on the outside. Both engraved. Left is UPO.
51965544.jpg

On the inner side however you can see the UPO has engraved text while normal does not.
87723304.jpg

Left is UPO. Got engravings and arrows that show which way you have to push the pins.
98854750.jpg

Well that's it. Hope you liked it.

On a side note... for some reason Panerai watches really started to grow on me. Before I joined the forum, I never even heard of it.

DonBrizzel

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/8/09
Really nice review sir! I like the comparison shots to show the difference in the cheap vs. ultimate versions...

cptkirk

Renowned Member
30/12/08
Wow. Very nice side by side pics.
Love the orange on black strap. For the money the 21j PO is not bad.

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
Excellent review, really nice pics, thanks!

markotu said:
On a side note... for some reason Panerai watches really started to grow on me. Before I joined the forum, I never even heard of it.
It is known to happen from time to time... :D

Xplodr

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Very nice review - thanks!!!!

Perfect for someone like me who wants to know if the UPO is worth the difference. From your review, I'd say it is.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Nice pics, wow theres more of a diffrence then I thought.

Kahn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/08
Very, Very well done. I really enjoyed the pics. GREAT JOB!

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
great review

thanks for the comparison :)

strange how even the bezel is different. i would have thought it would be much easier and cost effective to have the one type and just fit it to all the UPO/PO's.

bus_ter

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/7/09
Great article. I have skinny wrists so can only wear the smaller 42mm version, of which there is no UPO :-(

The UPO is certainly the better version, but doesn't it cost something like 3x or 4x (or maybe more) the price?! Makes it hard to justify the price IMHO, unless the finer details are important to you. Which I guess they are to many.

david-syd

Renowned Member
25/5/06
tnx for the comparison.

the cheaper 21J is pretty good for the money though.

budo

Known Member
28/7/09
Amazing comparison, cool to see all the little differences. It looks like even the cases are different, the UPO looks a little wider then the 21J, and when you compare to the gen, I think the 21J case is the more accurate.
I've got Narikaa's 21J and thinks it's great, and the price is is a smash. But I see now that the UPO have that bit extra, that makes it "Ultimate" :)