• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Tale of the Hardware Store Rolex

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
So me and the fiance went up to Lowe's yesterday. The list of items to pick up included some clear silicone bathroom cauk; which was actually for the shower stall not my watch, and also a battery for the Altima coupe's keyless remote, and a replacement filter for the refridgerator water dispenser. We looked high and low for a water filter, and found nothing. I removed the filter out of the refridgerator on the showroom floor so I could easily explain the piece I needed. As I got up off of my hands and knees from pulling the demo filter, I look up to see the Lowes employee standing there, staring at us, waving a replacement filter at us with a smile. And what was that shiny thing on his wrist?

We talked about the filter, but I wasn't paying attention. What was this? Stainless. Blue anodized looking dial, with white print in all the right places. A small stainless rotating bezel. Air-King? It looked brand new too.

"Hey thats a nice Rolex".

What did I do? I said it already, there was no changing my words. Maybe he saw me staring at his lower area the whole time, and at least now realizes I was looking at his WATCH. Ugh, whats wrong with me. When am I going to learn, no one wants to talk watches in the wild!

"Yah, thank you. It was a gift from my grandmother. My grandfather collected watches"

Hmm, then why were you wearing a seemingly brand new air-king.

"...and she, bought this for me for my birthday".

I said "Thats beautiful, what model is it?"

"It's an Explorer"

No its not. I mean. I'm just saying. But, really I can't say that. Ugh... This is going downhill.

"Oh, wow, I've never seen an Explorer like that"

"Thanks. My grandfather had a whole bunch of old pocket watches too, my grandmother gave those to me. She knew I liked watches"

Where have I heard this before? From the guy standing in line at the cafe a few weeks ago when I said "Nice Planet Ocean" maybe? The He valve was exactly at 10, I bet that was a fake, too. And he still passed it as gen when I said "this is my rep Sub".

My fiance noticed me midsection gazing, bewilderment on my face, and like the good woman she is, she bailed me out "He's always noticing peoples watches, right honey?"

The helpful gentleman replied, "Oh, I understand, me too"

"Ok, thanks man, have a good one."

we walked down the isle. "That was fake babe."

"Honey, just because he works at Lowe's..."

"No, its not that. It wasn't even an Explorer."

And then we go about our day.

This is the watch he was wearing-

AirKing.jpg

I was just sitting here at work, thinking how nice the Air-King looks, and figured i'd share the story. I have many uncomfortable watch watching stories, feel free to share yours too.

By the way, don't buy anything from replica master, I just used the first picture I could find.

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Ugh, whats wrong with me. When am I going to learn, no one wants to talk watches in the wild!

Priceless!! Good story. Kudos to all those brave souls who venture out into the "wild" with replicas on wrist.

iphreak

Renowned Member
28/8/09
I was having a casual conversation with a group of people around campus and one of the people asks me what kind of watch I was wearing. It was my PAM 111h on leather, so I told him a Panerai. He said that thing is cool and that he had not ever seen one before. I of course said thanks and that I liked it a lot. He then proceeded to ask me where he could find one? "Wal-Mart or someplace like that?" I just sort of laughed and said, I doubt you will find one there but if you do you should buy it. :)

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Nice story. Just one thing, just because he was working at lowes doesn't mean he can't afford it. One of my friends studying in the U.S. wears a Rose Gold Speedmaster his dad gave him when he graduated High School; his dad is one of the most successful businessmen in El Salvador.... and you know where my friend works [In the US]? Burger King... why? He wants to prove to his dad he can pay for his housing and bills until he graduates. :)

russtang

14/8/06
See guys with Subs all the time. Never get close enough to spot any rep tells though.

I once saw a guy at the bar a few stools down with the most godawful Breitling rep. I mean this thing had painted on chrono hands, blue face with gold subdials. Silver and 2 carat gold bracelet. Total frankenpuke $20 flea market special. Didn't say anything to him, but I couldn't stop staring at it. A real train wreck.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
I always notice watches, but I have to admit that I don't have a keen enough eye to really identify a watch as a rep or gen unless it's really bad. Like Rolex quartz ticking bad.

Although I do have a sneaking suspicion that the 18 year kid working at the gas station doesn't actually own a gen Rolex Daytona. Sure, I know it's POSSIBLE that his father owns the whole gas station franchise, and he's only working there for the summer to learn the ropes, and his beat up and rusted out 1983 Chevy Corsair is just the car he drives to work...... etc.

DonBrizzel

Banned
10/8/09
I like these stories. very good read! I want more!

DonBrizzel

Banned
10/8/09
P.S. here is a blue faced Explorer replica from Idol:

1v.jpg

They are very similar looking. So maybe he was telling the truth?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Nice story. Just one thing, just because he was working at lowes doesn't mean he can't afford it.

And just because he had a Rolex doesn't mean he knows what model it is either. Gen owners don't pey atention to that stuff. Most I talk to wouldn't know the difference between a Seadweller and a Submariner if both were in front of them.

jcrry2

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/09
I work at applebees and i am just a bus boy,till I finish college.and the other day I noticed a gentleman wearing a beautiful watch. I couldn't tell what it was at first and wanted to ask him, but then got close enough to see that it was an IWC double chrono.it surely was a gen, I don't know if double chrono reps are made?either way it was awesome and I wanted to compliment him on it but there was no good time and I just lurked around checking it out whenever I passed till he left. I go to school in a small town and there's not any AD`s in the area,and seldom see any gens So when I get to see a gen anything its a treat.

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Problem is that a blue Explorer simply doesnt exist lol. Fantasy replica.
Anyway funny story. Dealing with Rollies from old vintage to 2000 more or less I spot a fake from 20mt unless severely modded normally, but any crappy 10 bucks plastic Hublot could fool me easily. Suppose we all have different knowledge. And that's a good thing.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Anyone who works at Lowe's and wears a Rolex is a retard!

OK, I feel better now.