• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sub lug width for new strap?

ryanh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/09
Hey guys, happy weekend!

Quick question that I've searched for but it's not coming up...

I've got a noob-mariner ordered from D4M and want to get a NATO strap for it ordered while it's in route. My GMT and DSSD both have 22mm - is the sub noob the same?

Thanks!!!!

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
no its 20mm for the sub mate ...................

ryanh

13/9/09
Ahhh, outstanding - thank you for the help kind sir.... Probably just saved me $20 and/or a return....

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

Strange, how did you measure the GMT and DSSD?
...Both GMT & DSSD should have 20mm too, no difference between the lug width for Rolex, even the DSSD being a bigger case, they kept the 20mm measure, only having higher SELs.

Beware of that..

Cheers,
Spirit.

ryanh

13/9/09
Well, that's weird....

I took a 20mm band and a 22mm band and held them up to the lugs on both the DSSD (got from WBK) and on the GMT IIc (got from Precious Time) and on both of them, the 20mm was obviously too narrow and the 22mm looked just right (not terribly complicated system I have here, but it seems to work...). I also have an Invicta sub-homage that I just checked after reading Spirit's post, and it is obviously 20mm between the lugs... I haven't tried pulling the band off either of the Rolex rep's I have to verify the 22mm lug width, but it certainly appears to be a 22mm band....

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Go to your neighborhood Harbor Freight store and shell out $15 for a digital caliper and know for sure! I know you Dallas dudes can afford it! ;-)

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Sub is definitely 20mm. GMT2 should also be 20mm (too lazy and tired to walk to the othr room and measure it). My DSSD is no longer with me, so I can't measure that one.

I rarely break out the digital calipers ($30 at Home Depot) for lug widths. I just use a cloth tape measure.

Many good places to get NATO straps - I just went through many of them looking for some for a vintage WW2 German Army watch (Glycine). I ended up with 1 Khaki Nato, 1 Black Nato, and 1 Yellow Kevlar (it's for my daughter).
I found CWS among the easiest to use and best prices. And shipping was very fast.
http://www.coolwatchstraps.com/CWS_Money/Cool_Watch_Straps.htm

Don't forget the pics, Ryan!
TexasFlag.jpg

ryanh

13/9/09
WOW - all the fellow Texan's are really stepping up!! Thanks for all the help guys, a trip to the good ole' H.F. is definitely in my future, 'cause now I'm REALLY curious....

working on the pics, actually finally got the camera & lighting set up & working to my satisfaction - now I have to figure out the uploading piece. Know I saw a tutorial on here somewhere about it, but my first try was an epic fail so not gonna try that again until I know I got it down. it's just time, time, time - and the lack of it...

Thanks again guys - have a great week!!!

metals99

15/4/09
The nato strap should get the 20mm one... If you are a die hard bond fan and want to be so close to Sean connery Nato strap submariner... He is wearing the 18mm one...

ryanh

13/9/09
I've always kind of thought of myself as a secret agent...... So I guess the 18mm nato it is....

^)^
\__/

BTW - thanks LMR, coolwatchstraps.com is a pretty great site for straps!

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I'm not sure the lugs on Connery's vintage 60's Sub were the same size as modern ones. In any case, I wouldn't do an 18mm strap - it just won't look right.
But they're cheap, so you could always order 2 and see what you like best.