• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Comparo - Eurotimez DSSD ETA V5 vs. Eurotimez DSSD DG2813 V5

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
It's often said by some that if you buy an a21j version of anything you will get cheap watch - period - cheap movement, cheap case, cheap band, etc. Today I met up with levelmanroger to have some chow and see if there is any truth to this contention by comparing our Eurotimez V5 watches. levelman has the clone ETA version of this watch while I have the DG2813 version, but what else would you expect from me! After comparing our two watches, even weighing (both weighed 216 gm) them, we agreed that besides a slightly smoother sweep in the ETA version there was no way to tell the two apart! We then did a side-by-side photo comparo to illustrate this point with the resulting photographic evidence presented in this post. To make it easy to keep everything straight the ETA version will be always be on the left hand side of the photos and I set the bezel on my 2813 version one "click" off - this was more so I could tell them apart!

It is our conclusion that if someone buys a 2813 version of a particular model from Eurotimez they will get a watch with the same high quality casework as they would have received if they had purchased the version with the higher priced movement. Just remember, this is comparing two different configurations of the same product and not a comparison between a "High-End" and a "Budget" watch that happen to be from the same vendor.

This comparo was not an exercise in identifying flaws in either watch (there are a few, they are reps after all) so we are not going to point out any as this is just a simple comparison to illustrate that the watches are identical except for the different movements.

dssd comparo 1.JPG

dssd comparo 2.JPG

dssd comparo 3.JPG

dssd comparo 4.JPG

dssd comparo 5.JPG

dssd comparo 6.JPG

dssd comparo 7.JPG

dssd comparo 8.JPG

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
good stuff ......... some of the flaws (i know what you said) are not as bad on the cheaper model but the overall finishing??????????? the eta one just gets it ............ I think .

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Sam, I'm not sure I follow With the two sitting side-by-side neither one of us could tell which was which without carefully watching the seconds hands and the fact I have not been able to get the back off mine to get the last few shreds of the protective plastic off. During the shoot the sun kept going in and out of the clouds so there is some lighting variation between shots that might account for any difference you perceive.

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
this shot shows 2 different straps the one on the left is better .......... those are 2 different straps coming from different factories by the looks of it ........:unsure2:
dssd%20comparo%206.JPG

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
The only difference I could see in the bands (while actually handling both) was the attachment point for coronet on the flip-lock and things like this can be due to various reasons. I also don't know the time difference (mfg. wise) between our two samples (maybe Roger can chime in with his QC picture date - mine was 10/8) , it just slipped my mind to ask, but even a couple of weeks can account for minor variations in manufacturing, material, different workers, etc. They are laying at slightly different angles and arranged slightly different which causes some distortions of some proportions and such. I have never claimed to be an expert photographer but we did the best we could...

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
I like the review you did mate .thanks for that .............. but they are not the same watches in my eyes .. they are 2 different watches with different movements ....... you are saying they are the same watches with different movements .........

this is only my opinion my friend ................. I would love to someone with far more experience in these matters have a look ..........and offer up ..........

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
I appreciate your point of view, but, I just can't see it - but my "view" is probably colored by actually handling and scrutinizing both examples for about an hour. If I had not had the opportunity to handle both my analysis of the pictures might be different...

vdubpower

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/06
GOOD review but is the eta clone really considered a hi end movt. isnt it essentially an 21 Jewel asian made movt.
or is it like 25J if it mimics the eta 2836"?
i assume eurotimez has a eta swiss version ( prob also made in china) but beside the point.
either way, i have a noob sub, and its 21j and its great, and MY PO, both are great deals cuz aesthetically they easily pass for genuine

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
vdub, the "ETA clone" is a chinese copy of the Swiss ETA 2836, and according to everything I've read is a good movement. I personally look at a DG2813 as an upgrade from the run-of-the-mill a21j movements that usually come in things. I put a DG2813 in my Noobmariner after the original crap movement only lasted less than a day and the 2813 sweeps visibly smoother than the stock one.

vdubpower

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/06
ok , i thought the 2813 was just another name for asian 21j, and the same with 4813

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Great comparo, JMB/Roger. This confirms what a great bargain the 2813 version offers. Thanks, guys!

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
vdub, the DG2813, and I suppose the DG4813, are members of the broad generic family known as "a21j". The 4813, however, is rated at 28,800 BPH so it will theoretically sweep smoother.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
It's been a busy weekend and I just got a chance to sign back on.
First - thanks to JMB for his time, and for taking the pics and posting the thread. It was a real pleasure getting some lunch and talking watches and motorcycles with him. He's a real class act.

I purchased my clone 2836 DSSD V5 from Eurotimez about 4 months ago. The build quality is EXCELLENT, and the watch is an extremely good rep. I love the way the watch looks and feels... until it's on my wrist. Which is why it's had less than 5 minutes wrist time since I bought it. But enough about that.

For all you nay-sayers out there, let me assure you: these watches are IDENTICAL. The ONLY difference is the latch point on the clasp. I promise you despite what the pics may appear to show (lighting, angles, etc), the cases, crystals, crowns, dials, hands, and bracelets are ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL. Even the engraving in the deployments, despite the difference in latch points.

The purpose of this comparo was to see if they were really "the same as". Many of you veterans know that this has not always proven to be true when a dealer advertises that the cheaper movement is in the same case etc.
But in this case, Chris was telling the truth. There simply is NO difference other than beat rate. And the DG2813 is actually smoother than a standard A21J to my eye - despite the same vph.

Thanks again, JMB< for your time and efforts. Next time we'll meet on the bikes!:cool2:

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
No prob, levelman, 'twas an enjoyable afternoon and I think I'll put the new rear brakes on the Beemer tomorrow so it will be ready to go!