• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hont Says No, Other Dealers Say Yes???

vanatic99

Known Member
16/9/09
Hont says that a certain watch is not available, but several other "Trusted Dealers" say they can get it. How can that be?
This is the watch:

Vacheron Constantine. Jubile 1755 Limited Gold - Asia 21J

MOVEMENT: Asian Automatic 21J with working power reserve
CASE DIAMETER: 41.5mm
THICKNESS: 12.5mm
DIAL COLOR: Gold textured Dial
CASE MATERIAL: 18K YG Thick Plated to 3 mils on Solid Stainless Steel
BRACELET: Leather Band with buckle with insignia
FRONT GLASS: Synthetic Sapphire
BACK GLASS: Display Glass Back (Syn. Sapphire)
BEZEL:
HACK MOVEMENT: Yes
CLASP TYPE: Normal buckle

VCgold.jpg

vanatic99

Known Member
16/9/09
From everything I have read on here they all have access to the same factories. If that is true, my question stands.

Panoris

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/2/09
Regardless of what the reason is, I can assure you Hont is telling you the truth if he understands you correctly. He does not have access to it.

I would:

1) Send him a picture if you have not already done so, as Hont's english can be spotty. If he still says no:

2) Go to another trusted dealer. Its why we have a bunch here.

vanatic99

Known Member
16/9/09
I understand that, but I just went through the same thing with another "trusted dealer" said they could get it so I paid, but then they couldn't. It took me several days, but I did get my money back. I just don't want to go through that kind of hassle again.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Maybe it's because those 21j watches with multiple complications have too many problems and he doesn't want to get involved. I just read a post yesterday about somebody bitching about getting 2 in a row with the PR dial that didn't work correctly.

Throw in gold plate and you are asking for a let down.

vanatic99

Known Member
16/9/09
Hont understands and has seen the picture and I am sure that he really can not get the watch. I just don't understand how it is possible that these other "trusted dealers" can get it if they all have access to the same factories, which is what I keep reading on here over and over. I guess I will just have to pay and see what happens and then post the details of the transaction, good or bad.

metals99

15/4/09
Please don't bomb me but what I know about hont is that he is never a drop shipper... He gets the watch personally and QC it well before he ships... Some of the dealers don't even touch your watch and would just order it from any factories that make the certain watch and it would be shipped to you straight...

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
In the broad strokes, it is true, dealers have access to the same factories. That is not to say that ANY dealer can or will source ANY watch for you.

I don't know what else to tell you...

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Here's a partial post from another forum that may help you understand the pitfalls of that particular watch:

---------------------------------------------

"There was also a faux power reserve dial, 10-40 hours. This seemed to work initially, but as soon as the mvmt was fully charged, the hand went vertically up and off the scale completely.

I contacted ******* who offered to send a replacement. Great. I shipped the watch back (paying postage costs myself). After some serious delays in China, it finally got to ********. I decided to take the opportunity to order another watch for my brother, a PP faux perpetual calendar watch, also at $118. Naive, perhaps, but the look and feel of the JLC seemed good, and ********'s willingness to offer a replacement suggested that the problems with my watch were not necessarily indicative. If they were, ******** would presumably not offer a replacement - everyone would be asking for one and ******** would not be in business.

On receipt of the watches, the PP seemed to work fine. I quickly noticed, however, that it ran 45 seconds fast per day. The JLC no longer had the date problem, but the power reserve issue was the same, and on top of this the two pieces of script on the dial were the wrong way round relative to the pictures on *********'s website (i.e. date written next to the power reserve dial, and power reserve written next to the date dial). I should also note that *********'s website claims that both watches have a sapphire crystal watch glass - they are both plastic (acrylic).

I contacted ********* about this and he responded in his usual quick manner, but this time stated that the "power reserve does go off the scale, for every piece, there is nothing wrong with it." Whilst it may go off the scale for every piece, there certainly IS something wrong with it (there is a scale after all, with a min and max). And if it was ok, why did ******** not inform me of this the first time I informed him of the issue?"

--------------------------------------

Both watches were quite similar to the one you are looking for, probably the same movement. I had a similar one that also had the same problem.

If you were Hont and know it's going to be a problem, would you want to sell it?

Just be aware of what you're asking for because you may not like it once you get it.

Panoris

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/2/09
Vanatic, after reading all the posts and information provided, my gut instinct would be to avoid the watch altogether. If it was a 'great' rep up to the standards of so many others that our dealers have, Hont would likely have it too.

Best of luck in your search, and I am sure there is something else out there that might be close to what you are looking for.

-P-

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
I have had that experience a couple of times. Last year I really wanted a hard-to-get watch and emailed a few dealers. Some immediately told me it was unavailble. Others told me they would look for it, and eventually told me they couldn't get it. Another took my money, made me wait a very long time, ensured me a few times that he had the watch, and then eventually told me he couldn't get it. Then he waited longer before he eventually gave me my money back. I eventually did find the watch, but from a forum member.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
Here's a partial post from another forum that may help you understand the pitfalls of that particular watch:

---------------------------------------------

"There was also a faux power reserve dial, 10-40 hours. This seemed to work initially, but as soon as the mvmt was fully charged, the hand went vertically up and off the scale completely.

I contacted ******* who offered to send a replacement. Great. I shipped the watch back (paying postage costs myself). After some serious delays in China, it finally got to ********. I decided to take the opportunity to order another watch for my brother, a PP faux perpetual calendar watch, also at $118. Naive, perhaps, but the look and feel of the JLC seemed good, and ********'s willingness to offer a replacement suggested that the problems with my watch were not necessarily indicative. If they were, ******** would presumably not offer a replacement - everyone would be asking for one and ******** would not be in business.

On receipt of the watches, the PP seemed to work fine. I quickly noticed, however, that it ran 45 seconds fast per day. The JLC no longer had the date problem, but the power reserve issue was the same, and on top of this the two pieces of script on the dial were the wrong way round relative to the pictures on *********'s website (i.e. date written next to the power reserve dial, and power reserve written next to the date dial). I should also note that *********'s website claims that both watches have a sapphire crystal watch glass - they are both plastic (acrylic).

I contacted ********* about this and he responded in his usual quick manner, but this time stated that the "power reserve does go off the scale, for every piece, there is nothing wrong with it." Whilst it may go off the scale for every piece, there certainly IS something wrong with it (there is a scale after all, with a min and max). And if it was ok, why did ******** not inform me of this the first time I informed him of the issue?"

--------------------------------------

Both watches were quite similar to the one you are looking for, probably the same movement. I had a similar one that also had the same problem.

If you were Hont and know it's going to be a problem, would you want to sell it?

Just be aware of what you're asking for because you may not like it once you get it.

i have owned the exact watch in rose gold the op is looking for about 1 1/2 years now, it looks and works great. there is nothing wrong with the watch, plating or the movement. also the power reserve works, everything on the watch works just fine.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
i have owned the exact watch in rose gold the op is looking for about 1 1/2 years now, it looks and works great. there is nothing wrong with the watch, plating or the movement. also the power reserve works, everything on the watch works just fine.

Just passing on what I heard. Like I said though I had a PP with retrograde and PR and the PR reserve did the same thing. Always went off the end of the scale when fully wound. Can't say that it bothered me that much though. I guess some people get bothered more than others about it.

Hope he finds his watch and enjoys it. Sounds like it could be a sale for you if you're not wearing yours.