• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Asian 21J vs ETA clone

fireypete

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/9/09
Well, the heading says it all. As a newbie the only difference I can tell is around $100. Is an ETA clone worth the extra. Also is calling a Rolex Submariner a Noob mariner just something dealers do to keep their activities more obscure?
Pete

tetzumaru

24/10/08
difference would be the movement. by looking closely you will see that the so called eta clone seconds hand will move smoother than the a21j. rolex sub has smooth sweeping seconds hand like the eta clone produces.

for me its worth it as I love to see how smooth that seconds hands sweep :D

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Hey, Pete. The Noobmariner refers to a Rolex sub replica that is considered by some to be one of the closest to the gen out of the box at a very reasonable price, hence very affordable for "newbies/noobs" to the rep scene. The factory that produces it is referred to as the Noob factory.

fireypete

24/9/09
Thanks for that. I would never have worked out the Noob mariner bit. I thought perhaps its the lowest quality rep. WELL...... now I known this AND have a good price from T4D Noob mariner here I come. Yep, gonna need another few arms soon or is it OK to wear at least 2 watches on each wrist....
Pete

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
The 21J has a beat rate of 21,600BPH [Beats per Hour] and the ETA/ETA Clone has a Beat rate of 28,800BPH [The same as the ones found in genuine Rolex watches, unless we're talking about vintage models].

This video shows the 21J
Vs. an ETA
:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkrzw3iAPTo"]YouTube - movement comparison between 21,600bph and 28,800 bph[/ame]​

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
I prefer the smoother sweep of the ETA over the basic 21J, nothing wrong with preferences. Everyone is picky about something.

fireypete

24/9/09
OK, with such high BPM both of those movements would be quartz, battery operated? Are there many battery operated reps? My prohunter is a movement type wind up. How can i distinguish between a wind up and a battery, do the dealers make this obvious?
Pete

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
OK, with such high BPM both of those movements would be quartz, battery operated? Are there many battery operated reps? My prohunter is a movement type wind up. How can i distinguish between a wind up and a battery, do the dealers make this obvious?
Pete

You can't wind quartz. =P

The dealers always state if it's quartz, automatic or manual hand-wind on the description. There are a lot of Quartz reps available, some good, some bad; But if you do your homework you'll find out which ones are the good ones.

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Pete

Another reason for mechanical reps is simply trying to copy the original's movement as close as possible. The slow tick tick of a quartz movement in your rep'd Submariner would be a dead giveaway that it's a copy.