• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to flatten a Panerai PVD cg pin then make it dark again

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
This was done by another member but I have yet to find it after we migrated to 2.0 so I'm doing it for the members just in case. This is the first time I've ever attempted a tutorial. Im doing this at night so natural light wasnt around so sorry in advance for pic quality. Any questions just ask...

So some of us have PVD Panerai's but the cg pin has that nipple when we get it. However this causes a problem for us: shave it and show the steel and loose the PVD or keep the nipple. There is a solution!

First we must remove the pin from the cg and shave it. There are tutorials on this. Seen here:http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...r-diy-mod-24442?t=24442&highlight=crown+guard

As you can see the pin is completely black and has the nipple. The nipple will stick up. out of the cg.
PIC_0239.jpg

File this down little by little until it is flat and you are satisfied. Be sure to file it evenly so that its perfectly horizontal and not crooked or it will not look right when you put it back into the cg.

Next I wanted to polish the head of the pin. I use to use cape cod cloth but have recently found a nail buffer and it works miracles! Its about 2 dollars at the store and I highly recommend it!
PIC_0241.jpg

Basically I use all 4 sides and gently but firmly apply pressure. I use needle nose pliers to keep the pin perfectly straight.
This how it looks once its finished.
PIC_0240.jpg

I trial fit it and wow it just screams rep now since the pin is just ss and clashes with the PVD.
PIC_0243.jpg

PIC_0245.jpg

So how do we fix this. Simple heat and flax oil. I used a spare can an pour about 3 ounces of flax oil in. This can be bought at any health food store, walmart ect and costs about 6 dollars
PIC_0248.jpg

Next you have to find a way to heat the pin until its BRIGHT red. While at walmart I found the butane lighter by RONSON. It was 4 dollars and works perfect for this.
PIC_0246.jpg

Then all you do it heat the pin. I held the pin with needle nose pliers, once it was red hot I would take it and drop it in the oil and let it sit for a few minutes. Then take it out of the oil and torch the pin with the oil still on it. At first I wanted to be safe and was rinsing the oil off everytime. However it didnt get as black as I needed. I repeated this roughly 14 times. I trial fit EVERYTIME to make sure its not going too dark.
PIC_0250.jpg
Stillnot there!

After its as good as its going to get I put loctite adhesive in the cg lever and put the pin back in. Here are a few pics of it finished when I WASNT burning the oil off:
IMG00019-20091007-0011.jpg

IMG00019-20091007-0011.jpg

IMG00021-20091007-0012.jpg

IMG00027-20091007-0014.jpg

Here are the pics after I torched the pin with oil still on it and then put back in. You will notice its completely black now and matches a lot better than my first attempt.
IMG00043-20091007-2045.jpg

IMG00044-20091007-2046.jpg

CBR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/7/07
Holy crap brother... that came out nice.
It took 9 times to get the right color? WOW!
Congrats!!!

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Thanks man. I just wish I had better light. But hopefully it can help someone!

DonBrizzel

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/8/09
Very very nice indeed C! I am glad that you are taking good care of my watch :)

Nicely done and good tutorial bud!

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
LOL minus the glue I should have cleaned off of it