• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you tell apart a VIP and a noob mariner from the outside?

otakki

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/9/09
Is there a way to tell the two apart from outside? I used to hear that the VIP does not have the rehaut engraving and the noob does. But there was that post from someone who bought a noob without rehaut engraving and now I'm not so sure.

I remember d4me had mentioned on that same post that VIP's 21J movement is less problematic. Previously, I though there is only one 21J and I could not find info on different types of 21J.

By the way, is it mineral or sapphire glass on VIP or noob?

Can someone please shed some light on any of these questions of mine. Thanks.

The Doctor

30/9/09
Previously, I though there is only one 21J and I could not find info on different types of 21J.

Just started reading and I found this to be a stellar effort to illustrate the difference between common/basic movements.

If im not mistaken this was put together by fakey. Unfortunately Im unable to locate the original thread, it is one of the stickies so should not be hard to find

There's cheap, good, bad and better it seems !!

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
In the good old days (last year) the noob had the number 520117 between the lugs on one side of the case.
DSCN2514.jpg

Now, according to legend, others have copied that since it became so popular.

TKD540Kick

25/8/09
Well just from the original info. The case appears:
The new Noob has great cg's. & bad mvt.
The VIP has less accurate cg's thicker & dial is less acurate.
Fakemaster has more detail info in section: Fakeycorner's (Tale of a Noob 1 & 2)
;)

otakki

19/9/09
Yes, I guess that summarizes it up somewhat. Also to add that VIP has much more conical rehaut and that makes it "wokky." I guess I might just have to make sure I have a good supply of 2813 movt from ofrei and get the noobmariner. Hmm...

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
I would order a movement at the same time as my Noob barely ran a day before intermittently stopping...

TKD540Kick

25/8/09
jmb & otakki - What is the exact movement number or (Part #) to order from ofrei?
The movement that fits into the Noobmarinerv2 or (cheaper asian version)
Is it the same movement that Eurotimez sells DG4813 going for like $25 ?
Is it just 2813 long pin? short pin?? Would it be better to put in a more reliable expensive mvnt?

Thanks. ;)

otakki

19/9/09
I also had the same question and am waiting for jmb to respond to the last post on this thread:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...aytona4me-just-arrived-43115p4?t=43115&page=4
According to jmb, 2813 from ofrei is the one that worked after jmb's attempt with 3 or 4 other movements.

jmb bought the noobmariner from D4M so I would likely do the same too, and buy the extra movt at the same time like he had suggested...also considering vipmariner...hmm.

By the way, how difficult is it to change a movt. Do I need to invest a lot of money in tools?

jmb - Could you please send post a link to the exact part you ordered from ofrei that resurrect the D4M noobmariner? Also links to other needed items from ofrei for reviving would be greatly appreciated. By the way, is it mineral glass or sapphire crystal on the noobmariner?

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
The biggest difference was the rehaut, in my humble opinion.
You could stir fry in a vip.

otakki

19/9/09
Indeed, why am I already setting myself up for failure...so difficult. Of course, what I would really like to have is an ETA (clone or whatever) powered noob/vipmarine. I read that By-Tor has acquired one earlier this year.

Does anyone know who is selling an ETA powered noob/vipmarine?

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
The 2813 I used is the only DG2813 ofrei lists and was about $15.00, the 2813 I got from cousins had the seconds pinion too short for the hand to press onto. The 4813 movements (28,800 VPH) sold by both Cousins and ofrei have cannons that are too short and not enough will protrude above the dial to attach the hands to. The 4813 sold by eurotimez supposedly has the correct height cannons and I have ordered a couple.

To answer fakey's question, I found out the hard way as after I mentioned mine had died after a day. Here was the exact reply:

"The movement is not a DG movement to the best of my recollection, it is a cheaper movement than that (and those are cheap)
This is a notorious, everlasting problem with the noobmariner and others with this movement..."

otakki

19/9/09
Oh yes, I found it on ofrei's page as part MT-DG2813? Thanks.

Please keep us updated about how the eurotimez 4813 is working out.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Cool, that should do it. I would imagine I should have the eurotimez movements in about a week or so...

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
too all, yes the 4813 that eurotimez sell can fit, the cannon pin is a little short though..

otakki

19/9/09
I think this topic is metamorphing into something else...but I like the discussion that has been going on. Too bad I can't change the title.

jmb-I saw the hand setter tool you have made...that is quite a good piece of tool. You are really good. Gosh, I hope I have skills likethat. Delrin...that's the same material from my gun punch set. Amazing material.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Thanks, otakki, they are not that hard if you have the right tools as I'm a machinist by trade. You're right, Delrin is cool stuff and very durable. It also makes good performance suspension bushings as long as you don't mind a somewhat "harsh" ride! ;-)

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Swapping ETA sub guts from the VIP into the noob cases seemed to be the best way to "upgrade" the movement quality of noobmariners. I can only tell you what my experience was along the way having tried this past week.

It is possible. With the better guts from the VIP in the better case set, a WM pearl and bezel sanding, this would be the best sub for the money imo, especially for those that have one or both lying around already. Unfortunately its far from a direct swap.

If you pulled the ETA movement, dial, hands and all, from a VIPmariner and dropped it into a noob case you would run into a few problems.

The crown and tubes are different sizes. Swap the stems from one crown to the other to fix that.

The movement holders would stay with the case they were originally intended for.

The first real roadblock is the date position, or shall I say the date mag, which is further to the right on the VIP. When you drop the ETA guts from the VIP into the noobcase, the date mag isn't going to line up. At all. This is pretty much the part where I ran out of talent/ambition. I could probably get the date mags off, but putting them back on? Thats a lesson i've yet to learn.

Items of note:

The noob dial is considered to be more accurate, so you could swap the dials out, but I couldn't tell you what this would do with the date position issue. It wouldn't rectify it, and theoretically you'd have to swap date wheels now too. Anyone that can do this could probably figure out how to service a movement and hell, you're well on your way to becoming a watch smith. Before you found these forums you just wanted a good fake Rolex for under $800. Ha! Now look at you.

I've noticed on a recent noobmariner I received that the end links and inside thighs of the case lugs aren't as good a fit and finish as once touted. Oh there's gap alright. More than on my VIP, which is admittedly good (you can be the judge, further down theres pics.)

Noob cases without the rehaut engraving are still around, but drying out as apparently they aren't being manufactured.

The noob is great, but something no one seems to mention is the non-beveled edge running up the case lugs is an instant giveaway. That and the fact that the very heart of the watch itself (movement) is such a problem, means this no longer the A-list Sub it once was. At least to me.

As far as the original question, you can ID the VIP as the infamous "perfect" subs that came on the scene two plus years ago. The crown guards are uneven if you look down the lugs at them. The worst part of the case is the conical "wokky" rehaut. Josh's "classic ETA" sub is the VIP/perfect/wok mariner. The case does have beveled edges running up the lugs, whereas the noob cases are flat ground from the polished sides to the top brushed finish. Bezel teeth are also crisper than the noob, but the teeth themselves aren't of consistant size. The bezel insert print on the VIP is better than the noob.

It's really such a give and take. The gen has a slight slight conical look to it, even head on (granted no where near the likes of the VIPmariner), you can see that here, and also see the beveled edge I am talking about that runs up the edge of the case.

Gen:
16610Bevel.jpg

Basically if you handed either watch to me I'd be able to ID it as a fake within one second, as would any of you now, if you made it through reading this post.

WM9 is the creme of the crop sub. I've yet to handle one to tell you what the instant giveaway is on that. The price is about 7 payments away from a gen. Thats a problem. I'm so quick to admit "its fake" to anyone and everyone that shows any interest in my sub that its just not worth a heavy investment. I'd feel like a douchebag because at that point who am I trying to fool? Beveled edges? Conical rehaut? How scrupulous are we going to get before the only satisfactory resolution is to buy the gen?

Both the noob and VIP have their positives and negatives. Both are capable of being water tight. That, and the reliability of the movement has made my first rep, the vipmariner, a rep I still enjoy keeping in rotation. Unless you're on one of these forums you probably won't know any better looking at my watch, but have only to ask me.

Like Fakey said, people are going to assume its fake before they assume its real, if they even care at all.. They certainly aren't going to ask. If they do, the cats out of the bag and I'd rather the answer to the second question they ask be "$2-300" rather than $600+

My VIP-

SDC12258.jpg

SDC12259.jpg

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
PFGTR, interesting comparison. On your pics is this edge a slight "bevel" as you call it or is it actually "rounded"? I have two files at the ready and this minor detail makes a big difference which one I attack my Noob with! ;-)

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Have a look at the 3rd picture down in my post. That is the best pic of the edge I could find at the moment. Its definitely something that could be added to the case with a little finesse. It is a polished edge. its not rounded off. Its hard to describe you just have to scout some gen pics or hit the AD to see what I mean.