• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First Tag - Quartz Link Professional Chronograph

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
I posted a while back that I needed a Quartz chrono and Tag Heuer was the undisputed winner so I ordered one from idolreplicas.com (watcheden's sister site) and it just arrived. This example is supposed to be built using the same casework as the 7750 version and all I can say is it weighs a ton! Well, not really, but at 169 gm it's the heaviest watch in my meager collection. I'm not sure if this particular copy came in a quartz version but I don't think anybody I hang out with will ever know or care!

The fit and finish appear nice and it's only apparent flaw being the "split second" (not sure the correct term) hand is applied a couple of seconds off when zeroed in stopwatch mode. My only gripe is that I really don't like the styling/general design of the Tag bands - I'm more partial to the "Rolex style" bands.

Here are a couple of pics of the un-cleaned watch as received:

tag_link%201.JPG

tag_link%202.JPG

tag_link%203.JPG

tag_link%204.JPG

russtang

14/8/06
Nice pics. I've got it in white face. And yep, they make a quartz version of this watch.

If you are referring to the chrono hand (the big one that moves every second the chrono is functional), then being a couple of seconds off is no problem. Just pull the crown out to the set time position. Push the top button as many times as needed to zero the hand at 12.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
The fact that Tag actually makes quartz watches allows you to buy a good quartz rep and still be reasonably accurate. I agree about the bracelet, I hate them, but that is what nice leather straps are for.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
The "big seconds hand" is fine, when going "uphill', it's the 6:00 running seconds subdial that counts the fractions of a second (in stopwatch mode) that appears to be a bit off. Of course, when in "running seconds" mode nobody will ever know the difference so I don't consider it a big enough issue to warrant ripping it apart...

brtelec, unfortunately I'm not that wild about leather straps either! But, the 20.99 mm width may really limit my options as the bands I like the styling of are all 20 mm...

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
jmb said:
brtelec, unfortunately I'm not that wild about leather straps either! But, the 20.99 mm width may really limit my options as the bands I like the styling of are all 20 mm...

Damn, there is just no making you happy! :D

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
I know, it keeps me from getting too complacent!

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
You should take a road trip on your bike and come to the Houston GTG. Make a weekend of it. It is always a good time and you get a chance to put some faces to the screen names.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
That would be a nice ride but unfortunately I'm going in for knee surgery Monday morning so I won't be riding for a couple of months. :-( That's why I'm stocking up on cheap reps to play with/learn about/mod/destroy while I'm healing up.

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Well good luck with the operation. When you heal up, the GTGs in Houston will still be going on, you should try to make one of them, they can be a lot of fun. It is a great bunch of guys.