• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Philippe and friends (VC, A. Lange & Söhne, Breguet & Richard Mille) - an inspirational thread

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thanks for these words.

I found my collection strategy similar in some way. Instead of having watches in all categories, I have been aiming to acquire grails first and then see which category my grails will fit in. For example, the Patek 5711 can fit into the category of blue + white (SS) dress watch and blue + white SS sport watch. Now that I have these two (rep) watches, I would not consider anymore watches in the said categories, such as a white or blue Rolex datejust. My other grail is the datograph, where I think I will have to go gen, and it falls into the category of black dial leather dress watch and black dial leather sports watch, and black dial/reverse panda chrono. Even I have yet to work my way towards the datograph, I would not acquire any watch in the datograph's categories I don't buy alternatives to any of my grails. With this said, my recent purchase with the JLC white moon is justified because I need a white dial dress watch and don't really have a grail in this category, besides the ZF JLC thin moon is a super rep.

I am not yet into having multiple watches in my disposal, because I know ultimately if the watch I am wearing is not my grail, I know the grail will beat it in some way to me.

Yeah i can understand that. But it's always a possibility to own something similar in the waiting time until one acquires it. So that one gets to try it out and expanden once taste. There is a difference between living with a watch and seeing/trying it at an AD. The rep world gives us this wonderful opportunity without bankrupting ourselves.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
As you all know i'm selling out my reps. I have 6 reps left, of those i'll keep 4, while i'll be selling the PP 5070P (already reserved) and the VC Tourbillon RG. But i'm also replacing them.

Here's my interpretation of "tool watches". A pilot, a chronograph and a alarm watch:

IMG-8661.jpg

The pilot watch is a B-uhr type, by Laco, which is a german manufacturer. Together with A. Lange & Söhne, they were one of the six factories that were aloud to make these observation type watches during WWII. The A. Lange & Söhne flieger B-uhr has the exact same design as this. The watch is 39mm and has a workhorse ETA movement. I've put it on a olive green suede strap from A Collected Man:

IMG-8664.jpg

IMG-8660.jpg

The alarm watch is a Girard Perregaux in stainless steel with silver dial. The watch is 34mm and i love how well it wears on the wrist. The alarm is very practical, as you have to press the pusher at 2 out to activate the alarm. So no risk of it accidentally going off when the time passes the time alarm is set. This detail and the fact that these watches are well built, has raised the prices the last few years. And most collectors think they'll keep rising. They can still be found at a bargain price right now, but that won't stay so in the future. As JLC Memovox watches have risen a lot, people are looking for alternatives. I bet it's a cheap "investment kind of vintage" watch, that will be sold higher than bought, when sold after a few years.

I've put it on a burgundy Camille Fournet round scale alligator strap:

IMG-8643.jpg

The chronograph is a Breitling from the early 40's with a tachymeter and telemeter scale and Venus calibre 175 movement, which is a great column wheel chronograph movement. The dial is a fantastic black gilt dial. Vintage chronographs have been hot for some years now. Stainless stell chronos specially. And gilt dials chronos even more so. The watch is 38mm and pretty thin, lovely balanced proportions. Case shape, lugs, crown and pushers makes me think of vintage Patek chronos.

IMG-8462.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolly123

n0wj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/20
You have great taste. Would you consider doing a full review of the RM035-02? I've just read all the comments, including why you said you wouldn't do it, but I am keen to read your deep dive thoughts on this watch, and also if you would source for an alternate, more comfortable rubber which will fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
You have great taste. Would you consider doing a full review of the RM035-02? I've just read all the comments, including why you said you wouldn't do it, but I am keen to read your deep dive thoughts on this watch, and also if you would source for an alternate, more comfortable rubber which will fit.

Sorry buddy. The reason I won’t do it is that there is a 100+ pages thread on this watch in the RM section. And also comparison to gen is always my main focus in the reviews. And to be honest I’ve never seen a RM in real life yet. So it doesn’t make sense to do it. I’ll consider doing a RM
review the day I’ve put my hands on a RM and know the feeling of a gen.

Reactions: n0wj

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Same strap as the 5296R!!! Lovely.

Yeah. Will put it on the same strap, although i've ordered a round profile strap, while the 5296R had a flat one. It's because this watch is more rounded in it's look, the 5296 is more edgy. This will look better with a round strap :)

shortlegs

31/5/19
jm_brc_7057 Wow, have been eyeing that exact same Ophion Velos for a while! How is it? Would you mind giving a mini review or something?

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Just WOW ! Which model is it :)?

Thanks buddy. It's a Calatrava with a caliber 453 movement, but i'm unsure of the model. I've asked Vacheron Constantin to obtain the Extract of the Archives for the watch. The model name/number will be on that. It takes some weeks to get it though. Then i'll know :)

Reactions: jcher

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
jm_brc_7057 Wow, have been eyeing that exact same Ophion Velos for a while! How is it? Would you mind giving a mini review or something?

Hey buddy. It’s fantastic really! The finishing and quality is so high that it looks like a watch that costs at least one figure more.
Man that case! It’s so well made and well finished that it looks more like platinum. I don’t know what they’ve used to polish it but it’s much more bright and white than steel. But no surprise there as the case is made by the same case maker as Kari Voutilainen.

regarding review I can see what I can do.

160million

🎰 Rien ne va plus
Certified
14/4/19
Vice City
Thanks buddy. It's a Calatrava with a caliber 453 movement, but i'm unsure of the model. I've asked Vacheron Constantin to obtain the Extract of the Archives for the watch. The model name/number will be on that. It takes some weeks to get it though. Then i'll know :)

beautiful! is that rep or gen? still waiting for the indepth ap review of yours or did i miss it somewhere?
and congrats on the nautilus, really like the vintage-looking datewheel

Reactions: bluenote1976

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
beautiful! is that rep or gen? still waiting for the indepth ap review of yours or did i miss it somewhere?
and congrats on the nautilus, really like the vintage-looking datewheel

Thanks buddy. This is a gen. Yeah the date-wheel looks fantastic. Which AP review? I haven't made one :D I think i'll do a comparison review between the 3800 and 5711 PPF :)

160million

🎰 Rien ne va plus
Certified
14/4/19
Vice City
Thanks buddy. This is a gen. Yeah the date-wheel looks fantastic. Which AP review? I haven't made one :D I think i'll do a comparison review between the 3800 and 5711 PPF :)

congrats on going gen! looking forward to receive more information when VC provides you with said informatrion.
i thought you bought a gen ap quantieme perpetuel calendar? [h=1][/h]

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
congrats on going gen! looking forward to receive more information when VC provides you with said informatrion.
i thought you bought a gen ap quantieme perpetuel calendar? [h=1][/h]

Yes buddy. The AP I haven’t reviewed yet. I’ll see if I can get time to do it.
Yeah the VC will take some time. They answered that you have to bring it to a VC boutique. They open it and send the movement and case numbers to them. And then they send the extract from the archives. I’m waiting for the ADs watchmaker to come back from vacation.

The process is the same for both Patek and VC. They require that their AD see the watch and confirm the numbers and that the watch is yours.

160million

🎰 Rien ne va plus
Certified
14/4/19
Vice City
Yes buddy. The AP I haven’t reviewed yet. I’ll see if I can get time to do it.
Yeah the VC will take some time. They answered that you have to bring it to a VC boutique. They open it and send the movement and case numbers to them. And then they send the extract from the archives. I’m waiting for the ADs watchmaker to come back from vacation.

The process is the same for both Patek and VC. They require that their AD see the watch and confirm the numbers and that the watch is yours.

thats an interesting insight.
but isnt the OG buyer saved in their database? i doubt anyone calls AP,PP,VC or whatnot and tells them they sold a watch.

buddy, do a review asasp haha the AP is so beautiful. when i first saw it with the actual greymarket price i was very close on pulling the trigger :D

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
thats an interesting insight.
but isnt the OG buyer saved in their database? i doubt anyone calls AP,PP,VC or whatnot and tells them they sold a watch.

I think they have that info, but they won't disclose the OG buyer, unless you buy the Certificate of Origin. On that the original buyer name is there. For that you have to pay more and the watch has to be examined by them. But the Extract from the Archives can be obtained by asking the AD. It's a document that tells the info on watch type, details, characterictics, date of purchase etc. It's a document they make from the info they have in the archive.

buddy, do a review asasp haha the AP is so beautiful. when i first saw it with the actual greymarket price i was very close on pulling the trigger :D

Yeah mate, they've already risen in value. There are only 6 for sale on Chrono24. There were 10-12 when i bought it. The one with papers costs 40% more than what i paid.

Last edited:

160million

🎰 Rien ne va plus
Certified
14/4/19
Vice City
I think they have that info, but they won't disclose the OG buyer, unless you buy the Certificate of Origin. On that the original buyer name is there. For that you have to pay more and the watch has to be examined by them. But the Extract from the Archives can be obtained by asking the AD. It's a document that tells the info on watch type, details, characterictics, date of purchase etc. It's a document they make from the info they have in the archive.

Yeah mate, they've already risen in value. There are only 6 for sale on Chrono24. There were 10-12 when i bought it. The one with papers costs 40% more than what i paid.

always learning something new in the conversations with you, really appreciate that.
did you buy the watch without papers? you can also tell me via PM if you dont want to make this information public.

also what details did you check before you made the purchase? AP is kinda new for me, for rolex I know what to look for. and by being heavily involved in the discussion regarding the 5167A i feel like i know every detail about the rep vs. gen comparsion :D