• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

FRIEND OR FOE?

REPLICANT

20/2/09
Has anyone out there worked with a real good friend (both of you at the same level at the company) and you get promoted and become your friend's boss? Just happened to me and I have to say although I'm happy for the promotion, it's put an "uncomfortable" twist to our friendship....

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Congratulations on your promotion :!:

I have had that experience. The advice I'd offer, based on my experience as a sales guy, is that you lead by example. Regardless of whether your direct reports are friend or foe, if you do the right things, and are accessible, they will respect you. If they respect you, you will be able to lead them.

Best of luck :)

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
fire him now and save urself some future problems
just tell him u dont like him anymore , that u just hang out with people with higher positions now :twisted:

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
Though this is somewhat of an odd thing to compare to a "real world" work place.

I was the head lifeguard for my town w/ 28 guards under my watch.
90% of which were good friends of mine that I had known for 5+ years.

we all started off around the same time, all went through the same training and such.
I just happened to move up the ladder faster then anyone else till wala I was the boss and my friends were under my watch.

disciplining / firing friends is .... really hard and will take a toll on you.

the best thing you can do is keep in mind "yes these are my friends (or friend in your case), but I have been given the responsibly to watch over them and my job and character is on the line"

also sometimes I'd let my friends slide w/ things I would not let non friends slide w/.
only because I had a unique insight into that persons character/personality that as a non friend or just "boss" I would not have. And thus you can better assess the specific situation using work related info, but also personal info.

this allows the best flexibility to any problems that should arise.

Dreadnought

5/10/08
Welcome to a constant problem in leadership: Fraternization.

One of the constant problems you'll run into is finding the line between being the friend and being the boss; you should look at it that your friend shouldn't try and take advantage of your position, but that you'll look out for him. You have things that need to be accomplished, and he's in your formal chain of command on the lower end. You can delegate, but make sure your other subordinates know that they're on equal standing as your friend. If he does try and take advantage of you being his new boss, he isn't being a good friend and you should council him (not FIRE him, he should really mess up before that happens). Just make sure there's a mutual respect for positions between the two of you, and it should be fine.

On another note...if he was going for the same position that you were, and you were selected and he wasn't, that might cause not only a rift between the two of you but maybe a sort of resentment against you. Squash it. Part of being a leader is being able to advance your subordinates, not keeping them down. Bring him up with you.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
If he's a good friend he will learn to accept it and be happy for you, jealousy is normal on human beings and should not be taken like an offense. This might work nicely for the both of you as long as you're kind towards each other.