• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VR3185 into Noob BLRO A3285

bootlegboy

Renowned Member
14/6/18
I don't remember reading this anywhere, but is the Noob BLRO bezel assembly transplantable to a gen spec case like the VRF or ARF? Or at the very least, the Noob BLRO bezel insert used in a VRF/ARF bezel assembly?

Personally I'd take the BLRO insert and then put it on the ARF assembly or better yet gen assembly. But the only problem I see here is that the red GMT hand. I have no idea where to find one, unless you're willing to use a 16710 SL GMT hand in red to make that special CL and SL hybrid watch haha like one of our members did (his GMT Master is currently for sale in the M2M section, check it out for some inspiration hahaha)

Reactions: occb2

bootlegboy

Renowned Member
14/6/18
But you probably need glue or some double sided adhesive for the noob BLRO to stay on the ARF / gen assemblies.

shortlegs

31/5/19
Not to mention we need to change the dial completely. The Noob BLRO dial isn't the best, and I have no idea if it even fits the 3185/86 movements or the case.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Personally I'd take the BLRO insert and then put it on the ARF assembly or better yet gen assembly. But the only problem I see here is that the red GMT hand. I have no idea where to find one, unless you're willing to use a 16710 SL GMT hand in red to make that special CL and SL hybrid watch haha like one of our members did (his GMT Master is currently for sale in the M2M section, check it out for some inspiration hahaha)

There are some aftermarket ones that are supposed to be gen-spec. I will try to post a link

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The Noob Pepsi bezel is garbage. There is no groove in it for the gasket. The gasket sits on top of stairstep detent and is just wedged in under the crystal retaining ring lip. That's why you hear about those bezels just popping off.

They are a royal pain to put back in and either don't stay well, get stretched out or won't allow the bezel to rotate. Looking now for alternative nylon substitutes. I bought 4 different diameters of fishline tonight. The concept is viable they all worked to keep the bezel from popping off but were all too big to allow for rotation. I'll try some more tomorrow. Noob stopped providing a tension ring too but I have some spares I can use.

aj8LF.jpg

ajrrt.jpg

Using double sided tape on the Noob insert in the ARF is fine IMO. That stuff is way strong.

Last edited:

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
I don't remember reading this anywhere, but is the Noob BLRO bezel assembly transplantable to a gen spec case like the VRF or ARF? Or at the very least, the Noob BLRO bezel insert used in a VRF/ARF bezel assembly?

good thinking...I'm curious to know the answer as well.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I’d do as occb says, go with a 3175 conversion until the other movements have been around a bit longer. People mention ‘time bomb’ with the Eta but both his new clones have broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
So in theory we'd be able to get a 3175 to fit into a 16610 case? Unless the pinion height / stem height is different to that of the 3185. I'm still trying live my dream of a 16710 / 16700 GMT Master. Or perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part.

There is one for sale right now by silentflight. He spent lots of time and money on it. It is a startime case laser welded crown guards and tube hole. The. Tapped and shaped to fit a 6 mm crown. Then Jon did magic on the case. He got a GMT dial and built a 3175 out of an SH 3175.

He got the idea from my 16700 build and I have to say that it is a great watch. While I did mine out of all Rolex parts from case to band and a Rolex 3135 then just build the 3175 and changed the winding bridge and 3175 wheels it was by far a fun build. Watching him build it every step of the way was amazing. To see him sell it is difficult. Thought of picking it up myself. Just have to many watches.

Reactions: KJ2020

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
So in theory we'd be able to get a 3175 to fit into a 16610 case? Unless the pinion height / stem height is different to that of the 3185. I'm still trying live my dream of a 16710 / 16700 GMT Master. Or perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Also in your statement you say 16610. It has to be a 16610 or a 116610 with a 3135 machined inside.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
The way I see it is to use the VRF case, since it has the 126710 marking already anyway (although both my LN and Batman were marked 116710, I don't have proof of this but maybe the new owners can chime in) or as Rob said it use any 3135 case?

No. It won’t take any 3135. The 3135 will be to small for the VRF case. You would need a 3185 or 3186. Neither are the proper movement for the 126710. That was where the convo came from.

If you don’t believe me there are lots of people out there with VR 116710’s. Just have them take the band off and show you. I have seen 5 and all 5 are marked 126710. Which really doesn’t mean anything. It won’t fit the new 3285.

Lastly I don’t know if anyone knows that the new 126710,
At least the Pepsi, will not take a. Oyster band. The lugs are made for the jubilee band. I may be wrong but that is what my watch smith friend said. You can’t even order it in oyster.

He also said that the new jubilee band is a piece of art. I am a fan of the jubilee but my problem was it always stretched way to much.

Point it that unless VRF or ARF make those cases not just engrave them it really doesn’t matter what number is on the case.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
good thinking...I'm curious to know the answer as well.

I have a noob Batman insert I can measure.

The VRF is NOT Rolex spec. ARF is. You need to glue the insert in on the VRF and the ARF is compression fitted as Rolex.

Now all the noob upgrades I have done are double sided taped. But I have only done one and it was swapping a real insert into the noob assembly. Never the other way around. But I can check in a few days.

jumpope

Supporter
Certified
3/12/09
Nashville, USA
My question is...has anyone had any auto winding problems with the VR3185. I built an ARF 116710 with a gen dial, hands, bezel and insert, jumping hour hand wheel, hour wheel, date jumper, and date wheel. Everything works great, but I keep noticing a low amp reading of 235. When I manually wind it the amp goes up to 260-270. I have checked the auto-winding and it seems to move freely and winds the mainspring. I don't know...

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
My question is...has anyone had any auto winding problems with the VR3185. I built an ARF 116710 with a gen dial, hands, bezel and insert, jumping hour hand wheel, hour wheel, date jumper, and date wheel. Everything works great, but I keep noticing a low amp reading of 235. When I manually wind it the amp goes up to 260-270. I have checked the auto-winding and it seems to move freely and winds the mainspring. I don't know...

I have not seen any autowind issues bro, but that would certainly seem to be your culprit. As much as you've got into your Franken I would think a gen autowind assembly including rotor would be the final topper, for your showstopper, haha.

Reactions: Dissemination

jumpope

Supporter
Certified
3/12/09
Nashville, USA
I think that I might just do that. Thanks! It’s an awesome watch. I worry about us, though. We put $2,400 in a watch with a $150 Chinese made movement. We need to recruit a counselor for our forum. One that works cheap.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
I think that I might just do that. Thanks! It’s an awesome watch. I worry about us, though. We put $2,400 in a watch with a $150 Chinese made movement. We need to recruit a counselor for our forum. One that works cheap.

literally laughed out loud. I'm pretty honest about my hobby with my friends. Half of them think I'm crazy. Anyways, maybe there should be a sub forum with a 12 step program lol.