• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Compass watches and similar specialty designs preferred?

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
All you outdoorsy and military types probably have plenty of opinions about tough, accurate and full featured multi-purpose watches.

I have an older Nike Oregon series with altimeter, compass, weather and the usual chrono functions. It's suitable but there are better performing watches out there.

So, if anybody wishes to chime in on what watch they use on the trail, in camp and just plain outdoors, and why the wear a particular watch, I'm all ears, er, eyes :D

Thanks, guys :!:

ronin991

Horology Curious
10/7/09
I have Swiss Army and Seiko "Arnold" watches that take a heck of a beating but the Casio G-Shock I own is just the most rugged, accurate thing whether I am in Tibet or Colorado at 13,000 feet elevation or diving in the ocean. The thing has held in there for near 10 years now. Even the band is still looks new and is going strong. I am about to pick up one of the Casio Pathfinder when the G-Shock dies...if the damn thing does.

maxlawbr

Put Some Respect On My Name
27/9/06
Why you don't try Tissot T-Touch?

I own one, and it is a very good looking and a very nice watch.

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
i actually saw that posted on chronoshark the other day. extremely cool features but doesnt fit my style at all. i wouldnt mind having one if i was lost inthe wilderness though!

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
The T-Touch is my first choice, actually.

@Philly: Sorry I missed that one. They're running from $375-450 on the Bay, depending...

About the same as a loaded Pathfinder. But the pathfinder is a 50mm behemoth!

I just finished adjusting the bracelet for my new Black Monster, so the trail grail watch will have to wait a couple more months :(

Thanks for your thoughts, guys :D

horologik

I'm Pretty Popular
8/6/09
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hi
T-Touch or Suunto for me. I have a T-Touch and it is extremely rugged with the rubber strap.
And I have heard only good things about the Suunto.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
I love the TX watches. Just a bit pricey. I was at a GTG for RG yesterday and saw the PVD TX , sweet. It would look nicer on rubber or NATO IMO.

I have a titanium T-touch. I like it, a bit smallish but very accurate. Only complaints or the LCD is not backlit and the lume is rep-awful. So night ops is a no go. The swinging hands is gimmicky and cool.

I have a Casio PRG 60-T triple sensor. Very good watch, solar powered(charged) lots of features and a back light that activates with a flick of the wrist , no buttons.

In order for function:
:Casio
: TX
: Tissot

Style-

:Tissot
: TX
:Casio

Ease of use-
:TX
:Tissot
:casio

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
The Pathfinder's auto backlight feature is what appeals to me.

The TX is interesting.

Thanks for keeping this thread going, guys! Very helpful.