• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Passing reps as gens experience.

bx2vio

Known Member
24/5/08
Couple weeks ago, I went to a local Fiesta grocery store's jewelry/watch booth to change my sfso's bracelet to a leather band. The booth sold pretty low end seiko watches and some really bling bling jewelries so I didn't think they can spot my super rep. The watch person there was around 60 years old and when he looked at my watch, he was totally excited to work on it. Two minutes later, he finished changing the band and came back with the watch. He told me how nice and well built the watch was and how prestigious Breitling is. Then out of nowhere, he told me he is a watch collector. He asked me how much I got the watch for, and I told him I'd rather not say. Then he pulled out his arm and told me to look at his Rolex and precedes telling me that he bought it for $8000. The watch was one of those really fake ones that people buy from Canal street. His Rolex was a day date but with both windows next to each other and the gold plating fading. I really wanted to laugh when I saw his watch but didn't, instead I told it's a nice watch. This made me realize how clueless and immature people can be. Please share the stories of you or someone else who tries to pass reps as gens!

Hogan

Renowned Member
26/1/09
Re: Fiesta Grocery Store Experience

Couple of days ago a friend of mine called over his buddy to look at my GMT2C. Even though I told the guy it was a rep, he could not believe it and said; "they screwed up, they sent you a gen"... He would not believe me. :lol:

REPLICANT

20/2/09

bx2vio said:
Couple weeks ago, I went to a local Fiesta grocery store's jewelry/watch booth to change my sfso's bracelet to a leather band. The booth sold pretty low end seiko watches and some really bling bling jewelries so I didn't think they can spot my super rep. The watch person there was around 60 years old and when he looked at my watch, he was totally excited to work on it. Two minutes later, he finished changing the band and came back with the watch. He told me how nice and well built the watch was and how prestigious Breitling is. Then out of nowhere, he told me he is a watch collector. He asked me how much I got the watch for, and I told him I'd rather not say. Then he pulled out his arm and told me to look at his Rolex and precedes telling me that he bought it for $8000. The watch was one of those really fake ones that people buy from Canal street. His Rolex was a day date but with both windows next to each other and the gold plating fading. I really wanted to laugh when I saw his watch but didn't, instead I told it's a nice watch. This made me realize how clueless and immature people can be. Has anyone else ever experienced people trying to show off an obvious fake?

Didn't run into anyone trying to show it off, but while looking at the jewelry case at a local consignment shop, I noticed the guy's watch (white dial Omega) who was also looking into the display case. I said "Nice watch" and he replied, "Yes, it's an Omega" and flashed his wrist rather quickly, but never gave me a good look at it. Maybe it was a rep and was afraid that I'd notice..???

D

d4m.test

I was at the Nissan dealership yesterday looking at a 350Z and the salesman was wearing a replica Cartier Santos 100XL chronograph.
The date wheel was so recessed you could hardly see the numbers. And the strap was horrible. I had no interest in even mentioning it. He never mentioned my GMT IIc.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas

A couple of months ago I was visiting with a potential client in his home. Younger Asian guy. He had a Pam (can't remember which model) with a nice strap (looked like Savage), and I commented "nice Pam". His eyes light up and he tells me he's a watch collector. Now - I didn't get a good enough look at the Pam, and I'm no Pam expert, so it COULD have been real.
But then... he says "you wanna see what I just got?" He goes to his closet then comes back with a Milgauss with green sapphire. I immediately assume it's a rep because Rolex made so few of these. He hands it to me and, sure enough - the tell-tale 21J sweep. I know, because I have some watches with this movement. I say, "Wow! Nice watch! What did it cost you?" "You don't want to know" was his reply. :lol:
So he comments on my Omega SMP (by saying "nice SMP" - does anyone outside the rep world refer to it this way??). I tell him flat-out it's a rep, thus allowing him an out. "Really" he says. "It's a very good one!" He never fesses up!
So I leave knowing he's a poser. I really hope I run into him at a GTG, but based on my read of posts here, I'm betting he's on another forum.
So there's my story.

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09

this thread has a lotta potential to be extremely entertaining... keep it up. maybe change the thread title to something more obvious for others? i have just really enjoyed the stories so far.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06

Someone should bring up the "I know jujitsu thread".

bx2vio

Known Member
24/5/08

levelmanroger said:
A couple of months ago I was visiting with a potential client in his home. Younger Asian guy. He had a Pam (can't remember which model) with a nice strap (looked like Savage), and I commented "nice Pam". His eyes light up and he tells me he's a watch collector. Now - I didn't get a good enough look at the Pam, and I'm no Pam expert, so it COULD have been real.
But then... he says "you wanna see what I just got?" He goes to his closet then comes back with a Milgauss with green sapphire. I immediately assume it's a rep because Rolex made so few of these. He hands it to me and, sure enough - the tell-tale 21J sweep. I know, because I have some watches with this movement. I say, "Wow! Nice watch! What did it cost you?" "You don't want to know" was his reply. :lol:
So he comments on my Omega SMP (by saying "nice SMP" - does anyone outside the rep world refer to it this way??). I tell him flat-out it's a rep, thus allowing him an out. "Really" he says. "It's a very good one!" He never fesses up!
So I leave knowing he's a poser. I really hope I run into him at a GTG, but based on my read of posts here, I'm betting he's on another forum.
So there's my story.

Wow! interesting story! I guess there are two kinds of rep collectors, people who collect reps because they have a deep passion for watches and people who collect reps so they can trick others into thinking that they are rich. You met the second kind :wink:

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
I've been in an AD (Kay's Jewelry I think) and the sales rep proudly shows me his Breitling with tourby. I said, "how about that".

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas

bx2vio said:
Wow! interesting story! I guess there are two kinds of rep collectors, people who collect reps because they have a deep passion for watches and people who collect reps so they can trick others into thinking that they are rich. You met the second kind :wink:

Yep - I met the d**k trying to pass himself off as the richest 23 year old living in that very middle-class neighborhood. I even gave the guy an out and he still had to play rich boy!

phillycheez

6/6/09
i was about to ask about his age and neighborhood.. who the hell would be stupid enough to try and pass that off??? And hand you the milgauss with a 21j movement so you can look at it in your hands!! people these days... i mean jeez, if he was going to hand you the damn watch to look at it, it should at least be an ETA.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
I spotted two people wearing SMP's and commented on their watches. Told them "hey nice Seamaster" and the fellow said, "oh, you know watches", then I proceeded to show him my Pam 049, waiting to see if he could spot a rep. I told him I wanted a watch just like his but the Co-axial version instead. He blurted out "It's real!!!" He told me it was 7 or 8 years old and then said he really liked the Vancouver Seamaster. I was so focussed at looking at the hands length I didn't bother to check the He valve. damn!! The minute hand was over the date wheel instead of the hour marker, so I couldn't make an accurate judgement. double damn!!!!

Another time I checked out another Seamaster but it was the quartz version. I commented on his watch and then proceeded to show him my PO to secretly see if he could spot it. We compared watches for a while but he didn't say anything about reps. We were in a wine store.

Another time I spotted a fellow wearing a Sub. It was on the rare occasion I was taking the subway heading home that day. Knew right away it was a rep as the crystal wasn't raised up enough (like mine, hah hahh!!!). Was going to say, "hey, nice replica Sub there." to out him but didn't get the chance to talk to him.

I did the cardinal sin and showed my Sead PO during a conversation to a Citizen AD about him fixing my Citizen watch and the dealer couldn't tell the difference, or he didn't have the experience in knowing about watches outside Citizen. (I was getting a little frustrated at his lack of experience fixing my Citizen and showed it to him, letting him know I'm no Sunday watch wearer.)

There is one colleague of mine that is a topper in conversations all the time - no matter what story you share with him, he always interupts and tops it off with an even more amazing story and the conversation focusses around his story. I get so pissed off at that, plus, he tells me some stories that are a bit hard to believe and unfathomable. Not incredible but just too many coincindences lining up to make the story credible. Anyways, I tell him all my watches are genuine (he knows of only 2 or 3 watches of the 10 I have). I told him I got my Sub from my rich in-laws who ended up upgrading to a DD. and then I told him I impulse purchased a PO and then turned around and sold it for a profit. I showed him my Pam and told him I bought it recently with the money I got from the PO. It's fun bullsh!tting this guy around.

phillycheez

6/6/09
haha... if you see kay (nice user name by the way). I just learned a couple new vocab words from you.

Double damn!!

And toppers

thank you.

Tranman

23/1/09
If you see Kay said:
There is one colleague of mine that is a topper in conversations all the time - no matter what story you share with him, he always interupts and tops it off with an even more amazing story and the conversation focusses around his story........ It's fun bullsh!tting this guy around.

Maybe your buddy is thinking the same thing when he's bs'ing you.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA

takashi said:
Someone should bring up the "I know jujitsu thread".

karate-chimp.jpg

Not JuJitsu, Karate!!!!

Hiiiiiya!

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
OK, I'll add my story.

When the real top management from my company (all from Hamburg germany) comes to visit, I do not like to wear a rep of a really expensive watch. I'll stick to something not as rare, exclusive, or I'll wear a GEN Seiko, Citizen, Longines, etc.

Well, I didn't know that the real top brass was coming for a conference one day a few months ago. I didn't get CC'ed in this time, so I had on my Corum Admirals Cup 7750. It's an awesome rep, and anyone would be hard pressed to ID it as a rep. It is a true super rep.

Anyway, I had to get some of their laptops connected to the wi-fi, and here I was in the middle of the wealthiest people in the company wearing a more expensive (looking) watch than most of them had on.
I was checking their watches out. I spotted a Rolex Sub, a drop dead beautiful Rolex Paul Newman Daytona that was a gen, and probably VERY valuable (worn by the snior CEO). There was a GEN AP Royal Oak, a Solid Gold Cartier Pasha Chrono, A blingy DateJust. and in the middle of all of that was one big wig that had on a rep submariner. The crown guards were huge and just screamed fake. As I was checking out their watches, I caught a few of them blatantly staring at my wrist. No comments were made, but you could tell by their faces that they were trying to figure out how I could afford the Corum. I got a kind of a kick out of that entire situation.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
He blurted out "It's real!!!"

You know it's funny. What I say in my sig is 100% true. Want to know a surefire way of knowing whether someone is wearing a rep? (Hint) It's the guy who walks up to you in a store and says 'nice watch'.

CHOB

Known Member
30/9/08
doctorron said:
I've been in an AD (Kay's Jewelry I think) and the sales rep proudly shows me his Breitling with tourby. I said, "how about that".

that is freakn hilarious! I was in Las Vegas last month and saw a Brit Tourby. it was only $200 000.00! haha punk bitch.