• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Issues with Rocketeer

smithy37

3/2/09
I have just had an email from him saying my bezel insert is on it's way from Texas. Now I hope you can remember he offered me a genine bezel insert, well I am sure the ones from Texas are Rep's on sale over at Ebay.
He has assured me this is not the case, so can anyone tell me what to look out for in respect to a genuine and none-genuine bezel insert? I will presume it will be the pearl that will give it away.

I hope I am not being fed another line. My heart sinks everytime I speak to him now!

How is everyone getting on?

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
smithy37 said:

Well, sounds like an informal GTG coupled with a let's-get-our-crap-back-from-that-butcher-and-piss-in-his-mailbox trip is looking more and more likely.

Oh... I was just joking about the mailbox, of course. It'll be very civilised. ;)

But seriously, he guaranteed that I would get my PAM earlier this week. This is a PAM, mind you, that he's told me a number of times has been ready since February. Yeah right.

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
rooster133 said:
smithy37 said:

Well, sounds like an informal GTG coupled with a let's-get-our-crap-back-from-that-butcher-and-piss-in-his-mailbox trip is looking more and more likely.

Oh... I was just joking about the mailbox, of course. It'll be very civilised. ;)

But seriously, he guaranteed that I would get my PAM earlier this week. This is a PAM, mind you, that he's told me a number of times has been ready since February. Yeah right.
piss up somebody say piss up :D fancy a visit from the north roost :D

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Hi,

I'm taking the liberty but also responsibility to copy this post from RWG. It cntains important information.... And an other example of a concrete issue.

'Flightless on RWG' wrote :

Hi Guys, first post on this forum.

Like many others I've been holding my counsel until I finally got my watch back from our good 'friend' Rocketeer.

My story started well enough with good communication from Rocketeer in getting on his AR run, and like other members I did as much due diligence as could be considered reasonable. On 8 April 2009 he confirmed via email that my crystal was with Chieftang, and should take around three weeks to be coated and returned to the UK. That’s about the point that contact stopped, and like many others I simply couldn't get any response to emails and phone calls over the ensuing months.

On Sunday I finally snapped and tracked down his home phone number (not difficult as those of us involved in the run, as we already have his home address). Following a ‘full and frank’ discussion it became very clear that in the four months he’d had my watch it had travel exactly nowhere! Safe to say I was less than impressed and demanded he put my watch back in the post and sort me a refund, both of which he did the next day to his credit. Whilst regretting having to take that action, clearly calling his home number gets results.

To add injury to insult he’d popped my crystal out at some stage and hasn’t even managed to insert it flush as you can see in the photos. In addition there are two small hairs trapped on the inside of the crystal against the bezel (sorry guys - the photography skills don’t stretch to capturing those). All in all a pitiful outcome – four months of no watch, no Chief AR, and the watch returned in a far worse state than when I sent it.

I don’t want to get too negative, but in my case the man blatantly lied to me on 8 April. I don’t why this turned into such a train wreck and I doubt we’ll ever truly know, but for all those members who have defended Rocketeers integrity, I would point out that my case shows he was being very dishonest from a fairly early point in this process, and his workmanship is laughable.

I feel your pain Specialvat.

Rockeeteers rep web site is http://www.rrwp.co.uk - A serch on who.is (Google search who.is will give you the site) will tell you who registered the website, ie. Rockeeteers real name. For those involved in the run, our order form has his home address and a quick look on UK white pages once you have his name will give you his home phone number rather than his work line.

No one wants to have this escilate out of control and the only way to avoid that is communicate, and it appears the method above is the only hope members have to speak to Rocketeer. MODs - all the info above is public domain and I'm not disclosing any personal details only desrcibing a process, and I'm simply trying to help get this sorted before it gets out of hand. I was as angry as Specialvat and a face to face with Rocketeer would have ended in tears (not mine - I"m 6 foot 5, weigh 20 stone and I'm an ex bouncer into mixed martial arts) - and in all seriousness Rocketeer needs to deal with this before he pushes people too far, and if phoning him at home is the way to do that then so be it.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Wow :shock:

If my PAM doesn't arrive tomorrow I will come back here and share my stories too. Then I'm planning a trip to see Geoff and everyone's welcome to join me. Just PM me your availability.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
I think we're enough convinced people now to organize something more concrete.

That's a really, really awful scenario...

Let me check when I get my appointment near Liverpool, I'll contact you then.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Hi,
called this morning to the private number. No answering machine : actually no answer at all...
I suggest indeed to follow Flightless advice : his private phone is available publicly. Just follow the step explained.
I'll give the number to customers asking by PM. Admins : as mentionned, this information is available publicly in the UK white pages, so there is no disclosure of personal datas.
I doubt however we'll get any answer on this phone either. But I'll try again, night and day if necessary :!:

The last deal was very easy as far as I'm concerned : SEND BACK MY WHOLE STUFF, AS IT IS, AND REFUND ME.

Do you think he had the honesty to answer ?

Rocketeer, what you are doing now is just making people upset, including me, and this will end in a drama if you continue. There have been words about kicking you in the ass, but I do believe there will be one point where you will take physical risks with some members who are not tossing and turning on the boards as we do, but will just knock at your door to punch you in the balls.
And as shocking as it might sound, I'll applause that. You've been too far.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
I like the fact that he's been logging in and out of gen forums all day (the last time 5 minutes ago), but hasn't been here or at RWG for over a week. He should be exposed on the gen forums too for being a fraud!

Oh, and of course, my PAM didn't arrive today.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
rooster133 said:
I like the fact that he's been logging in and out of gen forums all day (the last time 5 minutes ago), but hasn't been here or at RWG for over a week. He should be exposed on the gen forums too for being a fraud!

Oh, and of course, my PAM didn't arrive today.

I should be shocked but I'm not. I predicted on the day this broke it would not end well.

I think R is now feeling a great deal of shame that is now tinged in fear. If I were silly enough tp put myself in this situation I dont think I'd be showing my face either. Remember, you do not have to log on to read this. RWI is an open forum.

Regards, Col.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Mmm. That is a tempting idea. But how to call im on a gen forum without catching attention of our rep foras ?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Pix said:
Mmm. That is a tempting idea. But how to call im on a gen forum without catching attention of our rep foras ?

He was contracted to fix your watch(es) that is all you need to say. If he wants to call you out for sending him Reps that would backfire on him.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Well, it is another weapon in our arsenal. Pix, I told you the forum and the user name, but don't use it yet please. I PMd you with an idea for a way forward. Let's start there and then include everyone who has issues.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Sorry if I stepped out of bounds with my post. I am watching and hoping for a positive outcome to this very soon. :D

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
R2D4 said:
Sorry if I stepped out of bounds with my post. I am watching and hoping for a positive outcome to this very soon. :D

No, I don't think you did at all. It was a fair point. And it's exactly part of our leverage. We will use it if needed, and we also have other options. We're working on it and will keep everyone posted. Thanks for your concern!

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
I am now ordering a SFSO ETA based from Timesshop, that means I'm doing what I should always had. That lack of AR coating led me directly in this situation :lol:

And for the Portofino : R.I.P... Many pieces in M.K.... :evil:

In the end I now less care about my lost timepieces than about Rocketeer paying for what he did. There are not so many people disgusting me neither on the boards nor in real life, but Rocketeer is definitely one. If you keep our watches (paid with hard earned money), you'll burn in hell one day or the other. :twisted:

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
rooster133 said:
Wow :shock:

If my PAM doesn't arrive tomorrow I will come back here and share my stories too. Then I'm planning a trip to see Geoff and everyone's welcome to join me. Just PM me your availability.

just came back home from 2 days watching real Golf....now I am waiting and waiting to hear your story :D

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Oh yeah, here's my experience with Rocketeer... No one can say that I didn't give him an opportunity to come clean before sharing this. This is his own doing now!!

Note: this is a long post. If what you want is just the quick summary, scroll right to the end.

I sent him two watches in January, and one in February. The two that I mailed in Jan were:

GMT IIc: This one was affected by the slipping hour hand problem and I also wanted it relumed.

Chopard GMT: Just sent it for a relume, and also meant to send the crystal for the AR run (although that was later returned untouched because it was one of those that Chief can't coat)

Further to a post in which I complained about the status of a rep that arrived from China with terrible lume, Rocketeer asked me to send it to him and that he would do it for free. So in February I also mailed:

PAM111h: for a relume

BCE: I wanted it relumed and serviced I also needed him to do a DW swap, requiring him to test a few DWs and pick the best one (something that I was happy to pay for, but which afterwards he kept whining about as if it was a freebie. Nobody asked for it to be a freebie!!)

I did a lot of research about him and collected a lot of info. Short of hiring a PI, I did all the due diligence I could do. I wanted him to do a very good job and also do it fast, so I offered to pay in advance for everything.

In February I also joined the Chief AR run:

Two crystals were sent out to him and the job was prepaid.

So, to sum up, by early February he had:

BCE, CHOPARD GMT, ROLEX GMT, PAM111, 2 CRYSTALS

In his first email (24 Jan) he stated: "This is my full time business, not a hobby or sideline as with so many others, and all my customers receive the highest standards of customer service, as well as workmanship." - we'll see...

That was quickly followed by the first promise (27 Jan): "I've booked you a slot in week six - Job Ticket #51, but I'll try to check out the GMT hand issue as soon as I get it." - Wow, rocketeer sounded as fast as a rocket. Let's see...

Over the next few weeks I received lots of updates and pictures from his customer portal, indicating that work had begun and was progressing.

Then, of course, the AR run was kick started... things started to slow down... jobs that were almost finished went into limbo... updates on the portal stopped. [smilie=sleepy3.gif]

I sent him an email at the end of February inquiring about the status of my watches. His response (1 March) was: "Coincidence! Was just double checking the lume for even glow now that all the solvents have evaporated. All looking good, the only minor fixing is the centre second hand on the Chopard was loose on the hand tube and was moving slightly on test. I’m going to re-stake the hand to the tube just to be sure."

Yeah, coincidence. :roll:

Silence for a few weeks ... emails are ignored or only group emails are sent to me. Finally I get another update (30 March): "Quick update: GMT completed in Feb. Pam 111 completed in Feb. Chopard relumed in Feb but needed to re-stake the second hand as it was loose on the hand tube. This was the only delay on these. Tried to sort out the second hand (normally an easy task) but the material used for the hand tube didn’t want to cooperate, so I’ve ordered a new hand set for you."

Ok... GMT and PAM completed!! Yooohoo!! So I am expecting to receive them any time soon. I gave him more time for the BCE and Chopard. He obviously screwed up something and didn't want to tell me, but I thought I'd give him a chance to fix things...

Of course, nothing arrives... I ask for more news ... silence ... Then nearly a month later I get another email (22 April): "GMT was initially stripped to see if the hand problem was just one of binding on the hand stack, usually caused by poor finishing on the hand tubes. The typical gouges were visible on the hand mounting surfaces and the two parts of the hour wheel mod seemed to be staked securely and so the hands were cleaned up as well as possible .... The dial was then lumed and a first coat of lume put on the hands and it was trial assembled for testing. This is when the problem with the Hour wheel became apparent. .... The Breitling and the 111 just fell subject to the current state of ‘fire fighting’ around here. You stressed how you needed the GMT urgently, so I rushed to get that one out. ... They will ship on Thursday ( Post Office early closing on Wednesdays makes Wednesday shipping next to impossible) but I will get some photos of the finished items to you for tomorrow evening to reassure you."

Blah blah blah... That didn't happen, of course. And weren't those watches finished months earlier?? What the hell just happened?? :shock: Here's a man who should keep track of his lies, so that if he can't be honest he could at least be consistent.

That particular email goes on forever, making excuses, stories, etc.

After more calls and ultimatums, and the request that he send everything to me immediately, I did receive the BCE and the Rolex, I think around the 28th of April or so. Here's how they arrived:

BCE: arrived with bad lume job, blobs of lume on dial and hands, scratched dial, misaligned DW, non-functioning chrono, running way too fast, over-oiled and poorly serviced. Had to send it to another watchmaker to get it fixed.

GMT IIc: arrived with no work done on hour hand, lume only partly done, watch in pieces (!), hour hand still in need of replating and reluming, with a post-it instructing me to send it back for these jobs if I wished.

I asked for a partial refund, which he provided immediately. But it was a joke of an amount, compared to what I had to pay to get these problems sorted afterwards.

In the meantime, mystery still surrounded the fate of the Chopard and PAM, which, remember, were allegedly completed in February. After a few phone calls I am told that parts are needed and were ordered from DSN and Hont. Next thing I get is an email (16 May) saying: "I’ve just had an email from Hont that he has now sourced the parts and was finally shipping them. I’ll email you as soon as they arrive." -I asked Hont whether it was true, and he said he wasn't anywhere near shipping the parts, maybe in a week. And indeed, a week later (23 May) I receive the following email: "Hont emailed me yesterday to let me know that he is now back in GZ and can ship my order, but still waiting for the tracking number. I appreciate that this is frustrating for you but while I'm stuck waiting for parts there's little I can do. I used Hont on your recomendation as being one of the better suppliers but as always, it's still taking forever to get the parts ... In the expectation of receiving the parts from Hont late next week, I've pre-booked workshop time for week 22 to complete your watches."

More stories and excuses followed...

In the meeantime, the crystals with AR were returned to me, and one of them was screwed up. You have all seen the pics of the UPO crystal. I suspect that no prep work was done on it.

Then came another email (5 June): "The Hont shipment arrived this week. Obviously as the Chieftang shipment arrived this week as well, that has been taking almost all of my time and I have no intention of luming the Chopard hands and fitting them in a rush. I would hope that I can get them lumed over the weekend so that hey will have hardened for fitting for the begining of next week. I will do the pics as soon as the job is completed. The Pam will ship RMSD with the Chopard for safety"

Ok, it's June and the watches that were apparently finished in February are almost due to arrive. According to that email, they would have been in my hands by the 12th of June at the very latest.

Of course, that didn't happen and that was the last email from him, two weeks ago. I called him on the 12th and we agreed on a way forward that entailed (1) refunding me for the botched AR job, (2) returning the PAM immediately, (3) returning the Chopard within a couple of weeks or so.

After a couple of reminders he did refund the money of teh AR job. But as of today, I am still to see the PAM and unless I go get it myself, I doubt that I will see the Chopard either. I have texted him on his mobile, I have emailed his 3 or 4 different addresses, I have called it at work, home and on his mobile. Now he's hiding.

So, that was my story. There's a lot more to it, like the details of his stories, cover-ups, lies... and more "confidential" information (unless they were lies too?) that I didn't want to share, because despite everything I am still showing him more respect than he showed me.

Ok, that was it. Hope you enjoyed the saga... :cry: ...5 months and 2 days today!!

IN SUMMARY:

To sum up, this is what I got in 5 months: I sent him 4 watches and 2 crystals. I got two watches back (after a lot of time, emails and calls) that looked like they were worked on by a monkey and had to be sent elsewhere to get fixed. The other two watches are still missing in action (and the work was prepaid). One of the AR crystals is sheit. So I guess all I got in 5 months is a lot of stories and one good crystal.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
I think we ALL have somewhere a part "being ordered" because something broke or was not to "Rocketeer's standards"... That alone shows he's either lying to win time, or extremely clumsy. In both cases, we're in a bad situation.

My SFSO replacement crystal (remember, it came broken from Chieftang :shock: ) is on order. But from a "secret" source which is slower than his "usual" source.
Where did I read he was buying gen Omega parts in Texas ? I hope my crystal is not coming from Peru !!
Blatant lies.

Rooster, you're a nice dude, as after all what you experienced, I would not have any ounce of respect. You can't respect liars. His case is pathological. He deserves a real cure and will get it.

One more thing
Hi (Pix)
Someone has just pointed me to your post on RWG where you copied the content of my email onto a public forum.

Sorry to be blunt, but I consider it extremely bad manners to post the content of a personal email in this way without even asking permission.(...)

Worst is that he can mail you to complain and blame you to unmask him publicly...

Did Rocketeer ask your permission to scr** you ?

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Pix said:
Worst is that he can mail you to complain and blame you to unmask him publicly...

Did Rocketeer asked your permission to scr** you ?

Ha ha! Yeah, he complained to me before when I made a post about him on RWI. There is something so sad and yet funny about him telling us off for bad manners! And mind you, I have left out the personal stuff and more confidential info from his emails, so he should just thank me for that. And besides, I gave him more than one opportunity to prevent this. I made it very clear. As I said at the start of the post, this is his own doing. I even sent him a last quick text messages on his mobile before making that post tonight, giving him one last chance to respond. He chose not to. Now let's see who's lecturing whom about good manners.