• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A Little Tip of Reluming

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Many have asked me similar question. How to maximise the glow of your lume? Simple answer, use the base with reflective coating such as white colour. This is the best base colour that you can use to maximise the glow of your lume (no matter what you use).

Here's just an example of recent reluming with white based background:

P4275338.jpg

P4275333.jpg

P4275319.jpg

As a plus point, white based ensures expected lume colour under daylight. So... instead of doing a mixture of C1 and C3 for modern Panerai dial, don't do that. Paint the base white and use pure C3.

rei

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/12/06
hmmm...my reply seems to have disappeared.

anyways....Superb work taki!

2 questions: 1) how did u apply the white paint? air brush or normal brush?

2) how did u apply the lume afterwards....its looks very even. Air brush some lume on? Any thickness problems after putting the top plate back on?

-Rei

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
For both answers, airbrush will work to ensure evenness. However, in this case, the first one is airbrush but reluming is done by hand. On how to deal with thickness problem, that is a trade secret :p Nevertheless, airbrush will work.

ussr

Horology Curious
29/4/09
thats very nice! am sure alot of work required...disassembly of watch, face.... you doing the hands too?

Francisco

23/12/07
Yes, lately I am using the airbrush to paint a very thin layer of white paint. Very thin, because there is no a lot of room for lume there...

Good advice...

Francisco.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
I try reliming, but has a disasterous effecy... I will heed the advise :)