• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[QC] Royal Oak OffShore JF v2

guessit

17/11/19
I open this thread to show my JF v2 QC already accepted, I’m waiting for the watch now. I have to say that the hand on subdial at 6 o’clock seems to be crooked (chronograph is set to zero), but I accepted it anyway because it’s an easy fix and the watch seems to be on point.
I’ll review it with some photo and video as soon as I get it.

LmE2b.jpg

LmN6p.jpg

LmRv5.jpg

LmvFi.jpg

LmFjF.jpg

Reactions: germanynrw

dellboye

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/19
Great work. How much did the modding cost if you don't mind me asking?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
But with stock JF crystal??

The crystal isn't a tell at all, whatever it is.

flying-tommy congrats on the nice build. This is one of my favorite classic ROO models, and it is a distinctive and striking watch in person.
I am looking to buy a gen of this to add to my collection. I think that the datewheel on yours is perfect too, Mikey did a perfect job producing the modern font DWs.

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
I ordered 2 of these and they came in yesterday. These are really the only option to get to build a Franken with. Except depending on the build you might need a SS bezel.
I think I am going to just thin one of them and have a Franken build with the other.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
The crystal isn't a tell at all, whatever it is.

flying-tommy congrats on the nice build. This is one of my favorite classic ROO models, and it is a distinctive and striking watch in person.
I am looking to buy a gen of this to add to my collection. I think that the datewheel on yours is perfect too, Mikey did a perfect job producing the modern font DWs.

Thanks Legend, some don’t like the old Rubberclad but this one is so nice with the light glossy Dial.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks Legend, some don’t like the old Rubberclad but this one is so nice with the light glossy Dial.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

FT, I think that this is easily one of the best looking AP models. I do get it that such statements are subjective but I have always liked this specific model for the metal AP logo, chrome looking (WG?) chrono hands, and black datewheel. It is one of the beginning of the transitions from the white base DW to the black base one which AP mostly uses now.
This is also an evergreen model. I get it that the newer AP models have the more "posh" ceramic crown and pushers but this being a Rubberclad, it makes sense that the crown and pushers remain rubber, to be consistent with the theme of the watch. Therefore, even if there is a re-issue of the rubberclad, the material of the crown and pushers should remain rubber instead of ceramic, making this a perennial classic.
Congrats once again and wear it well!

Miguel Piguet

I'm Pretty Popular
14/5/13
FT, I think that this is easily one of the best looking AP models. I do get it that such statements are subjective but I have always liked this specific model for the metal AP logo, chrome looking (WG?) chrono hands, and black datewheel. It is one of the beginning of the transitions from the white base DW to the black base one which AP mostly uses now.
This is also an evergreen model. I get it that the newer AP models have the more "posh" ceramic crown and pushers but this being a Rubberclad, it makes sense that the crown and pushers remain rubber, to be consistent with the theme of the watch. Therefore, even if there is a re-issue of the rubberclad, the material of the crown and pushers should remain rubber instead of ceramic, making this a perennial classic.

I agree, it's a classic and one of the best looking 42mm's . I think the transition to the ceramic bezels and ceramic crowns/ pushers was more for durability reasons , similar to the AP Grand prix carbon

We all know when the rubber bezel gets damaged or bashed around it doesn't look good and especially people who have spent a substantial amount on gens don't like the fact that they spent that much

on a bezel made out of rubber that gets damaged as the whole point of a Rubberclad was that it was sporty , versatile and can be worn as a daily beater.

Definitely a lovely looking piece in general though , wear it well guys :)

guessit

17/11/19

Hi legend, I'm not an AP expert because I usually collect gen Rolex, but this r-clad is my favorite RO. Can I take advantage of your experience to ask you what are the most known and visible flaws between this rep and a gen one? Thanks!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi legend, I'm not an AP expert because I usually collect gen Rolex, but this r-clad is my favorite RO. Can I take advantage of your experience to ask you what are the most known and visible flaws between this rep and a gen one? Thanks!

I’m not an expert too but from what I know the stock rep has largely the same flaws as other 42mm ROOs:

- case is too thick
- hands are the wrong geometry and hands base stack is too large
- DAte window is too far to the right
- cyclop and datewheel font are both incorrect
- crown position has no offset
- movement is totally different from gen
- slight differences in dial print vs gen
- plots are too tight against the case/inflexible for the rep
- tachy print is different
- case geometry is not 100%

Other than the above the rep is a nice watch on its own. This specific rep model is good because the all black theme for dial and dw obscures the date window position error. Bear in mind that in real life some of the flaws mentioned are not obvious. There is always a distinct difference between forum pics and real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

guessit

17/11/19
Thanks a lot for your answer, I am just curious but I know that in real life no one can spot one of those flaws while the watch is on the wrist. I use your message to make a simple photo comparison between my rep just approved and gen, maybe it can be useful to someone.

GEN
L8PZL.jpg

REP
LriJ8.png

GEN DATE
L8XX8.png

REP DATE
LrIF1.png

Last edited:

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
One change I am doing to these rubberclads is changing the cyclop. The shinny cyclops draws attention to the position of the date window. With a 2ar cyclops, that would be less obvious.

Last edited: