• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT or not?

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
So I've decided that I need a sub for my daily rotation and I'm not paying for a gen.... Yet....

I've pretty much decided that the subs are not for me. Same goes for the DSSD. I bought an SSD and I'm thinking it's not me either. All of my current watches are divers.

I like the GMT IIc but the incorrect hand stack is a deal breaker for me. I like the gmt with the coke bezel (not pepsi - I'm a coke drinker lol) and was wondering if any of the experts know if the gen ever came with the GMT hand on the bottom of the stack and if there is a decent replica of it?

Thanks!

Tranman

23/1/09
why is the WHS or IHS a deal breaker? Just wondering....Too bad b/c the GMTIIC is a nice rep. really nice.

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
It just bugs me and I know I would rather have a different rep. The mis-aligned rehaut engraving would prevent it from getting wrist time as well. I like the gen but those features of the rep just seem to nag at me. I've been so close to buying so many times but I'm not sure I'll be satisfied.

SMC

Tranman

23/1/09
I hear ya, i feel the same way. I just got one and I have a hate / love relationship with the damn thing. I love to wear it and it looks great, but the small details that aren't right stick out like a sore thumb. I can't decide to sell it or buy another one and try to build an ultimate from the 2. Maybe BK or WM9 will offer a GMTIIC soon.

Did you ever watch the movie Shallow Hal? Jason Alexander has a hot GF but complains about her 2nd toe being longer than her big toe. And Jack Black is like...dude, who cares!!! Yeah, that's me... :mrgreen:

donnay458

1/1/08
fakemaster said:
Those are macro things. You will never be happy so pass.

+ + to fakey's sentiments ... the saying we look for perfection in an inperfect hobby. if the things you write about will bother you then you just got to say wait "i'll never be happy ... so therefor i must get a gen" that way you have the best of everything and the only one you can bitch to about this is off and that was like that on the old model is to the gen manufacturer

i think our obsession to have everything 1:1 to the gen is good to a certain point ... there are individuals on these forums that like and love to be able to collect for themselves the watches that would be very expensive if you got the gens. frankly, i have 1 rep that i paid $600 for why because for me $600 was the amount i would limit to get close to the real deal and even that it bothers me at times that i shelled out that amount for a "rep"

so you will never be happy with a rep - ultimate, best out of box, latest version you need the real deal on your wrist and/or in your watch box. so i hope and trust you pockets and spendible $$$ run deep!

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
So anyone want to comment on the vintage gmt's or are all the reps crap?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
They are all pretty awesome. But they will be crap to you in one way or form.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Not at all. I'm trying to help you not make a mistake. In your statement you said 'or are all the reps crap'. That means beyond the ones you were already talking about. Well if you think they are crap or are full of dealbreaker flaws, then a vintage one won't be any different. They will have incorrect handstacks or misaligned cyclops etc. Therefore the only thing that will suit your need is a gen. So why bother buying something that you'll just end up putting up for sale in a month because your macro shots look bad?

kitersoze

26/11/08
Tranman said:
Did you ever watch the movie Shallow Hal? Jason Alexander has a hot GF but complains about her 2nd toe being longer than her big toe. And Jack Black is like...dude, who cares!!! Yeah, that's me... :mrgreen:

that quote, tran, nails it on the head.

i've only got 2 more things to say: after that, there's really nothing else i would even try...

1) this is from by-tor, someone very few would disagree is a rolex expert, nut, and meticulous reviewer (he loves them enough to have bought a gen GMT):

"...the watch certainly is a good looker and very good replication...It is available with the correct hand stack (short: CHS), which means independently adjustable hour hand. Correct hand stack means that the 24h hand is placed above the hour hand. This movement behaves like the gen, and the hour hand moves in one hour increments. But it's also an accident waiting to happen. I have plenty of experience with the CHS, so I decided to opt for the wrong hand stack Swiss ETA movement.

The wrong hand stack (short: WHS) version is a "faux" GMT movement, and it doesn't operate like the gen. The 24h hand is placed below the hour hand in the stack, and ONE time during the day the hour hand and 24h hand "meet". This is when the visual problem with the WHS occurs. However, you can set the 24h hand "meeting point" to say, 2am or 3am if it bothers you. Besides this "meeting point" the hand stack is very difficult to detect without a loupe. The small annoyance with the "faux" WHS modification is that you have to set the 24h hand "in sync" manually. This has been covered in this article (http://www.rwg.cc/members/Replica-faux- ... 54602.html). I have developed a good trust in this WHS ETA "bastardization", and I can recommend it to anyone (as long as you really get a genuine ETA)...

Replica snobs look this movement down their noses, because it doesn't act like the "real" GMT movement. In this modification it's not possible to set the hour hand independently at all, but you set the GMT hand instead. This happens when you unscrew the crown into date set position, and turn the crown anti-clockwise.

The problem with the GMT hand setup is that the GMT hand turns freely and smoothly over the dial, which (supposedly) makes it difficult to set the GMT hand "in sync" with the local time.

In my opinion, this is absolute nonsense. There's nothing difficult to make it sync with the hour hand. Just wait until time is say, 9'o'clock sharp (or before setting the local time, set all the hands at say, '12 sharp manually), and move the GMT hand exactly into the desired xx:00 2nd timezone position.

When you have once set the GMT hand in sync, you don't necessarily have to touch it anymore, ever again (assuming you have a watch like Rolex GMT Master, which has rotating bezel with 2nd timezone hour markers). When you set the time (in the crown position 3) the GMT hand follows along perfectly (and stays in sync). If you want to set your GMT hand to follow some other timezone, you just turn the bezel into the desired position.

REPEAT: "...you can set the 24h hand "meeting point" to say, 2am or 3am if it bothers you. Besides this "meeting point" the hand stack is very difficult to detect without a loupe."

2) from fakey's corner:

TheRealWorld.jpg

OR, just buy the gen, one watch, for $7+ grand...
i have a few gens (all bought b4 i discovered this place), i have a few reps. personally, n this is JUST me, i'd rather get a high-end rep gmtII-c, set the WHS 'meet' time for 3am, and have enough dough for up to 25 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25) other high-end reps, if i wanted. that's a helluva lot more fun to me...

try to even think of 25 other reps you really really want...

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
this has been covered before but i will say it again. the correct hand stack movement is crap so stay away from it. yes, the old 21,000 bph rolex gmt's had what we call the incorrect hand stack but those reps have many flaws that are noticeable, i do not recommend them.

bytor and myself decided we couldn't live with the flaws so he bought a beautiful pepsi gmt 2 that i want really bad and i bought a new gmt2c. no flaws and no crappy movements just real rolex's.

the engraved rehaut isn't noticeable unless you are looking at the watch with a lupe. the incorrect hand stack isn't noticeable without a lupe either unless the hour hand just happens to be passing over the gmt hand and that only happens once every hour. if somebody can spot that on your wrist they have super vision.

if you can't live with the flaws the fix is easy, get you checkbook out and step up to the window. 7,000.00 will take care of it.

enjoy, :D

this is how hard it is to see a real rolex etch cornet

same watch

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
HK...words of wisdom to live by.

Well I think this is pretty much wrapped up now.

TKH

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/2/09
i have a gen GMTC and can't say I ever noticed the stack order until you guys pointed it out and I would never look that hard for me that sums it up in terms of relevance :?

the chances of somebody noticing are a million to one so it must be a personal thing so if you feel that strongly about it and it feels inferior because of the hand stack and you wont wear it buy a gen i guess but think what you can do with a rep and the change :wink:

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
And people please don't refer to your gen as a GMTIIC. That is a made up term.

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
Well, I guess there is no point in anyone posting any reviews of new reps then. Something is going to be wrong so either blindly buy whatever is offered or get a gen. Don't even bother looking at the differences between versions or factories. There really isn't much point in having a discussion board is there?

I was being facetious when I said "or are they all crap". I simply stated that I'm not personally fond of the current rep rolex models. I also don't like Panerai regardless of whether it is a rep or a gen. I was originally wondering if anyone else had done any research on the "vintage" gmt models.

I was looking for HELP because I thought that was what this board was for...

Thanks a bunch!

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
@smc: Yes, unfortunately all vintage GMT replicas are crap, more or less.

The best GMT is the "Ultimate" ceramic version that I have reviewed in my section. The other decent one is the Noobfactory version (that's a rep of the older 16710 model), but it requires rather heavy mods. bklm1234 offers this model (and the mods).

That's pretty much it.

Almost ALL modern Rolex have been reviewed in my section. I have tried to explain all the basics for each model in those articles.

I agree... why buy crap when there are so many good ones available. In my opinion, the GMT IIc is very good replica. But only that one and only replica model. Beware of the inferior versions! Personally... I don't care about the hand stack at all.

@hk: Good to see you man. Now get that Pepsi! ;)

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
Thanks man, that's what I was looking for in the first place :roll:

no_one

5/4/08
By-Tor said:
@smc: Yes, unfortunately all vintage GMT replicas are crap, more or less.

I'm no expert like By-Tor, but I've been looking for a vintage 1675 for myself. I have (had) a gen circa 1975 that I gave to my son. Though it's hard to tell just from the pics, this one http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1245 appears to be ALMOST identical to my old gen.

I can't see the numbers stamped on the bracelet, so that could be wrong.

The lume on mine is more greenish in color (but I think it was re-lumed at some point when serviced).

The biggest mistake is the dial. It says 'Oyster Perpetual Date' and should just say 'Oyster Perpetual'. Hont says that he can get one with the correct printing on the dial but doesn't have any pictures to confirm.

I think I'll just have to order one & find out for myself.