• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watches made from unusual materials - PICS -

TAGfan

26/1/09
Here are a couple of pictures that blew me away. These are complete working pocket watches with cases and movements made entirely of wood and bone, except for the springs I think. I have seen some wood inlay work in the past, but nothing like this.

What's really fascinating is that these watches were made many years ago.

bronnikovbone_lg.jpg

wooden_2.jpg

Anyone want to try and recreate the much beloved TAG Aquaracer with a nice chunk of hickory?

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I am wondering how long they will work?
I went to Austria a couple of years ago and I saw an old oven which was built out of wood. Believe it or not, people used it and burned wood in it, every day. They told me that once a year you can cut wood and it will not burn, depending how the moon stands. Maybe this wood is also some special cut which does not need services.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Where's the DNA watch made from Titanic parts that you're not allowed to remove from the wreck?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Hmm. I wonder if they have a blood stained model.

[think:19hf6p16]Now THAT was morbid...[/think:19hf6p16]

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
fakemaster said:
Where's the DNA watch made from Titanic parts that you're not allowed to remove from the wreck?

Apparently a lot of people call "bullshit" on this titanic DNA watch.. they said from what info they can get, they got hold of a piece of metal the size of a sugar cube, and tossed it in with like 1000 lbs of molten metal and mixed it in. this metal was then used to make the watch cases. People seem to think the whole watch is made with titanic metal but in reality it might be .01% or something. I forget what the actual number was estimated to be but its basicly nothing. Just a marketing gimic and the actual amount of Titanic metal was basicly zero.

whoosh70

Known Member
30/11/08
fakemaster said:

I guess this is one watch that should never be taken near the water :?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Do you realize how funny that is? These are the tiings I ask for in post of the year.

Someday, some noob could ask "Will I drown if I wear this rep near water'? :p

UFUKNUT

Known Member
3/2/09
Dizzy said:
fakemaster said:

Apparently a lot of people call "bullshit" on this titanic DNA watch.. they said from what info they can get, they got hold of a piece of metal the size of a sugar cube, and tossed it in with like 1000 lbs of molten metal and mixed it in. this metal was then used to make the watch cases. People seem to think the whole watch is made with titanic metal but in reality it might be .01% or something. I forget what the actual number was estimated to be but its basicly nothing. Just a marketing gimic and the actual amount of Titanic metal was basicly zero.

well thats how you make people fork over more money. theres always a buyer for anything out there...

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
whoosh70 said:
fakemaster said:

I guess this is one watch that should never be taken near the water :?

It will sink on it's maiden trip! Keep it away from water!