• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Steve Mc Queen Rolex GMT 1655 Franken......!

watch_me_tick

Known Member
29/10/06
This watch has been built from scratch. The movement is a gen rolex 1570 automatic with date function. Genuine crown and tube. OEM oyster single lock bracelet. The case is a phong case and the hands was source via ebay. Engravings are all accurate. Please enjoy the pics and give me your take...... :D

RIMG0146.jpg

RIMG0141-1.jpg

RIMG0143.jpg

RIMG0144-1.jpg

RIMG0145.jpg

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
What a nice piece! I have to imagine you feel pretty good about your baby. :lol:

Thanks for sharing.

sean

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/1/09
:shock: fantastic, I wish had the skills/cash.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Dear God, w_m_t!

That is an absolutely stunning piece. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Dreadnought

5/10/08
That's beautiful...imagine the look on an AD's face if they take a look at that...

whoosh70

Known Member
30/11/08
Just curious........and probably showing my ignorance here but, why is it called the "Steve Mcqueen" Rolex? What's the connection?

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
8) Very nicely done. Hands down one of my favorite Rollies. If I was ever going to sink some money into a vintage franken this would probably be what I would build.

Mr.Majestyk

15/2/08
Gorgeous "ticker"!!!
Reminds me why I fell in love with Rollies in the first
place. That acrylic gives the watch personality- makes it feel alive somehow against the saphire crystals of now.
Enjoy it for many years to come!

watch_me_tick

Known Member
29/10/06
Sigh..... due to other priorities, i had to let this piece go. I was very sad to sell it. Watch was snapped up within 2 weeks after numerous offer. I will built another when i have the money again :(

Para

Renowned Member
24/10/08
watch_me_tick said:
Sigh..... due to other priorities, i had to let this piece go. I was very sad to sell it. Watch was snapped up within 2 weeks after numerous offer. I will built another when i have the money again :(

I can only imagine the feeling... but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... and the next one will be even better, as I'm sure you've learned a few things along the way of building it.

BTW, given the high demand and since $ seems to be in the way... perhaps you can finance your next one by building 2-3 for sale?

Regardless, you had built a gorgeous watch... we all definitely agreed on that!

strat22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/3/06
That is a really awesome GMT! The gen Rolex movement really makes it an amazing piece.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
whoosh70 said:
Just curious........and probably showing my ignorance here but, why is it called the "Steve Mcqueen" Rolex? What's the connection?

Nope, the only "innorance" is on the part of those that started this connection. :? :p

The Rolex Explorer II [ref. 1655] officially known as the 'Steve McQueen Rolex'

Interestingly, in real life, Steve McQueen never really wore the Explorer II [ref. 1655], but rather the Rolex Submariner [ref. 5512], which nonetheless featured a very similar design to the Explorer II [ref. 1655]. The Submariner [ref. 5512], however, was only available exclusively in the UK (produced from 1959 through 1978). It seems reasonable to assume that this McQueen connection (discovered through media photos etc) was what inspired the naming of the later internationally released Explorer II [ref. 1655] as the 'Steve McQueen Rolex.'
Link >>>>

512modulo

Horology Curious
24/6/09
That is beautiful !!!

what would it cost to make one of these... i would be interested in buying one if you were to make another...